No longer any doubt... 375 H&H is adequate for whitetail

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

No longer any doubt... 375 H&H is adequate for whitetail

Post by JRD »

Two years ago I got a Ruger #1 375 H&H. I love the rifle and it shoots great and I've been dying to shoot something (a game animal) with it. We can't hunt deer with rifles in my state.

My dad and I made our annual trip down to hunt with a friend in Viriginia a few weeks ago. I lugged along the .375 and was determined to kill a deer with it. It took until the last evening of the hunt for me to see one, but this doe filtered through the brush in a hollow below where I was sitting. I waited for a clear shot and dropped her in her tracks at about 60 yards.

The load was a "reduced" handload with a 300 gr Hornady RN at about 2200 fps. Recoil is noticeably less than the 2500 fps loads and still its plenty powerful.

The bullet really didn't wreck as much meat as you'd think. I think you loose more meat to a high velocity bullet that to my 375.

Here's a picture with my boys and the deer.

Jason
PS, Hobie we drove through your town on the way down.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Good hunting and congrats.
Ricky

DWWC
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:D My friend Tom Tabor in MT. has and loves the .375 H&H. He has killed many African animals with it.
At lower velocity, most of the Jacketed bullets made for the .375 would be almost like a solid on an animal as light as a deer. :D
Last edited by Chuck 100 yd on Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

375 H&H

Post by LeverBob »

Welcome to the fire JRD. I'm a fan too...mine is a Mauser .375 & has dropped elk, bear as well as deer. Glad you like yours...well done.

LeverBob
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

2200 FPS... hmmmmm. Sounds like cast bullet material to me. I bet you could afford to shoot it a lot then.

Congratulations on the hunt.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Post by nralover »

Well, it is a marginal whitetail round. I have a .50 BMG for Missouri- it is a little lacking in energy, but for woods shots of 50 yards or less it will do. :wink:
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

In his book about the 45-70, Paul Matthews cross references his casting for and shooting of his Ruger Number One in .375 H&H. He found his load (similar to yours except cast lead) to be a very fine deer round.

It's one of those...."If it's not broken, don't fix it!" ....situations. If you're bringing home the venison, you might want to try some groundhogs during the summer to keep sharp!

Enjoy.....
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Jason,
My .375H&H is a Ruger No.1 also.
I shoot the 375449, 264 gr bullet over a moderate charge of IMR4198, giving about 2000fps. It will put ten shots into one big hole at 50 yards.
The cast bullets are a lot less expensive than jacketed, even of you buy them.

Jack
Kid Cossack
Levergunner

Post by Kid Cossack »

Man, I just hate it when deer sneak up to your house like that . . . .

Nah, in all seriousness---way to go! Gotta love a nice single shot, and no flies at all on the .375 H*H!
Not all who wander are lost.
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

Thats the great thing about reloading..you can take a serious big game cartridge like a .375H&H and load it down to shoot deer and hogs..or you could load it up and kill elephants....
Last edited by Savage99 on Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Whew!! Glad to hear it - I been wonderin' about that... :lol: