A pleasant surprise in the credit card bill

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

A pleasant surprise in the credit card bill

Post by BwanaDave »

No matter how you feel about the bill, look what AP says was attached to it:

"Included in the bill is an unrelated measure by Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., that would allow people to bring loaded guns into national parks and wildlife refuges.
The House approved that provision separately on Wednesday by a 279-147 vote."

I think we can all agree on that.

Dave
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: A pleasant surprise in the credit card bill

Post by J Miller »

From what the GOA has been saying, the Coburn attachment will take the gun laws in National Parks out of the hands of the federal govt, and give them to the states. Nother words, state laws will now rule.

Good job Tom Coburn.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Just wish it wasn't attached to such an anti-business/anti-poor bill...
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
I get regular e-mails from the vpc and the brady bunch. The vpc is saying that this bill allows open carry of rifles, shotguns, and handguns....
Nothing like making up facts to suit your agenda....

Paul

ps.. above e-mails are only for spying on the enemy!
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

pshort wrote: ps.. above e-mails are only for spying on the enemy!
It pays to know ones enemies!

Yep, the Brady-smurfs are claiming that Mr. & Mrs. America shouldn't have to share our parks with the crazy gunowners brandishing AK-47's. Morons... :evil:
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

well they'll sure be glad to see us when one of those precious cute bears starts mauling them.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

I think the bill was the result of some of the problems people have been having in Big Bend with illegals and with people shooting across the border. If it was a wildlife problem it would not have gotten anywhere. Applying state law is interesting, I hadn't read that. In regards to state law I can understand that with game laws since the game belongs to the state but it seems to me that we don't use state law in regards to guns in the NF now so why would we do so in Parks? Does anyone know if the bill applies to National Monuments too?

Dave
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BwanaDave wrote:I think the bill was the result of some of the problems people have been having in Big Bend with illegals and with people shooting across the border. If it was a wildlife problem it would not have gotten anywhere. Applying state law is interesting, I hadn't read that. In regards to state law I can understand that with game laws since the game belongs to the state but it seems to me that we don't use state law in regards to guns in the NF now so why would we do so in Parks?
Consistency in law enforcement between Authorities.

If your state "allows" (aaack spit) CCW, then the NPS has to too. If you live in Illannoy or DC nobody gets to carry.

The whole reason it was brought up in the first place was because of absurdities like where I live, where along one stretch of highway you can be legally CCW one minute and in violation of fed law the next... (or, worse, walking down the beach... many times I have crossed an invisible line in the sand and gone from "Legal" to "Felon" while walking with the wife...) This will also make the Appalacian Trail MUCH safer...
Does anyone know if the bill applies to National Monuments too?

Dave
Yes. FWIU any NPS property in/on any State that has CCW. Of course the Ninnies were all yammering about how this change would allow guns in the Capitol or Independence Hall or whatever, but they, of course, refused to mention that in most of those places under State laws CCW is prohibited anyway. But yes, you should be able to carry in The Alamo.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

I didn't think it was just concealled carry. Wouldn't it apply to open carry too? It seems like it is just bringing the NF standards to NPs. Another question is what happens in some states like California where you would get hauled away if you open carried in most public places but I open carry in NF in California and I have never had a problem. What about transporting firearms in a place like California on NP land? Do you still need a locked case? The above questions make me think it simply adopts the NF standards and to carry concealled you would need a permit that is honored in the state where the NP land is located.

By the way, I lived near a National Monument in New Mexico and there you just had to unload your gun when you entered, you could legally carry it unloaded. That was different than I had seen in other parks.

Dave
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'll have to read the new one, but the ExOrd signed by Bush was CCW only IAW State CCW regs. Made Yellowstone & Appalachai a bit tricky, but I think most of those states have reciprocity...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!