American Rifleman Article on Henry .30-30...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

American Rifleman Article on Henry .30-30...

Post by Hobie »

I'm sure we'll sell some but, *sigh* less than beautiful to me.

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Re: American Rifleman Article on Henry .30-30...

Post by salvo »

I saw that article yesterday, have not read it yet though. The pictures of it look less than gracefull, to be sure!
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Saw the blue one at the NRA gig last friday, thought it was uglier than a mud fence.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Kinda' chunky and clunky for the price their asking. I still think the Henry .22 I bought was a heck of a bargain but I don't see paying what they want for one of the .30 WCF's.
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

I kinda like them, but the real test will be in the heft, cycle and balance.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I like their .22 but I think this one and the Big Boy look like something that Mattel Toys sold in the 60's.Yuck.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

They seemed to like it well enough in the article, but they won't be selling one to me. Unless I need a fencepost.
NRA Life Member
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

As is everything Henry except the Survivor... Smooth, well finished, heavy as a boat anchor.

I suppose the Brass one is cool for coolness sake, but if I want a Marlin action, I'll buy a Marlin... and it won't have the dorky ".22 loading" "feature".
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The NRA tester went went out of his way to avoid any mention of the obvious similarity to the Marlin lever guns.
To me the rifle doesn't look all that bad. I have only one thing that I don't like and that's the tube magazine loading. It's OK for rim fire, but not a center fire.

I don't think I'd buy one, but if someone offers me a chance to shoot it, I sure won't refuse.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I've handled one and they are a brick. The merit of any good 30-30 is that it is light and handy. Henry missed on the light part. Fit and finish was excellent as with all Henry's . I think Henry missed the market with this one. If they would of kept the lines closer to that of the Golden Boy 22 and have the weight in the correct range they would have something. It's too bad because I love my Henry 22 and recommend them to people all the time.
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy Folks,
Sure down on Henrys around here.. I've been shooting a new .30-30 for 2 or 3 months now, and it's a very well made, good shooting rig...
It's my 3rd one, and I like 'em... I also have Winnys and Marlins. They're all good.. (Mostly)...

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Not saying it's not "good", just saying it's at least a pound too heavy...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

J Miller wrote:The NRA tester went went out of his way to avoid any mention of the obvious similarity to the Marlin lever guns.
To me the rifle doesn't look all that bad. I have only one thing that I don't like and that's the tube magazine loading. It's OK for rim fire, but not a center fire.

I don't think I'd buy one, but if someone offers me a chance to shoot it, I sure won't refuse.

Joe
You know Joe, I was the same way till I got my 454 puma and I've found I like the tube load on it. Well, more the unload part, seldom use it for loading, usually use the gate for that but it sure is handy for unloading.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I suppose the "steel" version has a painted receiver like their .22's ??

Ed
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Kinda like a plain boxy look. No frills anywhere; not wood or metal. Hope it shoots, so it has something going for it!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

They could have fed the tube/mag. like a Remington 14/141. I am sure that patent has expired.With the Remington Magazine patent you can load pointy & round nose bullets.

Much easier to load than what they designed.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

J Miller wrote:The NRA tester went went out of his way to avoid any mention of the obvious similarity to the Marlin lever guns.

Joe

I imagine they had to cut the loading gate to be different enough to avoid legal issues with Marlin. I saw a picture several years ago when the Big Boy was in the developmental stage & it had a gate.
I bought one of their 22's for one of my kids & its great. But I wont be buying a centerfire from them. Their misleading advertizing still bugs me. The catalog that came with my boys gun is still in the outhouse at camp. I like the pictures but right on the front cover it says 1860 - today or something to that effect. I think with their customer service & quality American made guns without safteys they could do real well without misrepresenting their history. Still I wish them all the best.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Well, now Mossberg is better than somebody in the levergun dept.!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

too much gun for a 30-30. maybe, in a 45-70 or .348wcf. the .22 are great, but they missed the boat on this one. :(
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I would definately consider a .22 henry, however the 30-30 is not only UGLY it is way over priced if it goes anywhere near the MSRP. You can get almost 2 marlins for that price.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

" Clunky" my thoughts exactly. And the price is too high for what you get. :o
Steve Redgwell
Levergunner

Post by Steve Redgwell »

I agree that there's something not right with it. To me, it's the action iteself. It's boxy and odd looking. The rest of the rifle seems normal enough.

I have a Henry pump and it is a beauty. Hands down, it's the best 22 I've handled in a long time. This past fall, I took it hunting and it fed me and my buddy for the whole trip. Not trying to sidetrack the post, just pointing out that Henry hit the nail on the head with the 22. It's sleek and carries wonderfully.

They missed the boat it seems with the 30-30. :|
Safe Shooting! :)
Steve Redgwell
303british.com
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that chunk as a butt-ugly rifle :shock:

"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Several years ago I bought a worn slick 30-30 model 94 Win. No blueing left---just from someone carrying it for years on end and hunting with it in Oregon. No abuse, just lots of use. I wonder about one of these Henry's, my 94 was made in 1950, I wonder how proud you'd be of the Henry after 59 years of hard use? My 94 can still muster pride in it's current owner. Hope the Henry's are built tough like that.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:" Clunky" my thoughts exactly. And the price is too high for what you get. :o
In brass, if you squint at it, it kind of looks like a 66...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

The only way to compete with W and M in the 30-30 arena, it would seem, would be to offer a similar quality rifle for lower cost. Like Mossberg has attempted.

Let's see...ugly, heavier, and more expensive. Wow. :?:

For my tastes, there are millions of Ws and Ms out there that will always be available, and at less cost.
Chad
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

TedH wrote:They seemed to like it well enough in the article, but they won't be selling one to me. Unless I need a fencepost.
Remember, the NRA Rifleman had a absolutely glowing report on the Mossberg 464 and how wonderful it was also. I have yet to see any post from a new buyer of that rifle that didn't have problems - mostly in the extractor failures in less than one six round magazine full but not limited to that.

I can't put any stock in any reports of how good a new rifle is just because it was in the Rifleman magazine. I think we tend to hold that publication to a higher standard than other gun "rags" and, in my experience, that's not justified.

:evil:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER