Siamese Mauser,the search is over.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Siamese Mauser,the search is over.

Post by Stan in SC »

I'm a big big fan of the 45/70 round.I have several rifles in this caliber but for the past six or seven years I've been looking for either a Siamese Mauser to convert to 45-70 or one already converted.Yesterday at a gun show in Greenville,SC I found EXACTLY what I wanted.I bought from an individual walking around a converted Siamese that was in fantastic condition.I still am amazed at the price(just over $200) he let it go for.
I was at my gunsmith's bright and early this morning to get him to install a low swing safety and check head space.Turns out he had a stock that was in great shape and already glass bedded and was much better than the stock which was on it.
I already have a vintage Weaver El Paso K-6 to mount on it.What a great shooter I am expecting this to be.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Siamese Mauser,the search is over.

Post by TedH »

Outstanding! One of those has been on my list for a long time. I've only came across one Siamese Mauser action in the past. It was just the action and the asking price was ridiculous so I passed.
NRA Life Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Okay, Stan, where's the pictures?
Old Law Dawg
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

pppppics?
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I sold a Siameese barreled action in 45-70 on Gunbroker last week for $375 I think if memory serves .

Wasn't mine I was selling it for my gunsmith buddy .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Stan, you know better than to tease us with this post but not pictures! Congrats - but get in gear brother!!! :D
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Years ago I read a story about a guy in Alaska had converted a Enfield to 45-70.
I may still have that mag in my stuff.
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

mescalero1 wrote:Years ago I read a story about a guy in Alaska had converted a Enfield to 45-70.

There were a bunch of Enfields commercially converted to 45/70 a few years back.
Last edited by Bear 45/70 on Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

mescalero1 wrote:Years ago I read a story about a guy in Alaska had converted a Enfield to 45-70.
Doesn't Ji have one of those?
NRA Life Member
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Do Siamese Mausers have 2 barrels/forearms and only one action/stock? :?: :wink: :lol:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Old Ironsights wrote:Do Siamese Mausers have 2 barrels/forearms and only one action/stock? :?: :wink: :lol:
That's soooooooooooooo wrong yet so right... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I have no pictures yet.I guess I will not have any until the restocking and safety work get completed.

Stan

Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Bear 45/70 wrote:

There were a bunch of Enfields commercially converted to 45/70 a few years back.
Yup the Gibbs Rifle Company (USA)made them.They were called the Summit Rifle.Can be converted to 45-90.Here is a link to Ron Card's article at Chuck Hawks website http://www.chuckhawks.com/gibbs_summit.htm.A interesting and very strong conversion/custom project would be a Rifle built on the Enfield Pattern 14 action.That action is used in the Hannibal A Square rifles.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

The Siamese Mauser is one fine platform for the .45-70. I built one back in the '70's with a 26" Douglas XX barrel 1:18' twist for the 500 grain bullet. Used Buehler scope mount and low safety as that was the trick setup of the day. Micro Sight did the barrel work and drilled and tapped the mount holes. Also used a Canjar SS trigger. Still have it, and it will still group under an inch at 100 yards. You can easily come within 200 fps of the .458 Winchester Magnum in the Mauser action providing you like the recoil. All of my Siamese actions went out for Rockwell testing and reheat treating before barreling, just to be sure they could take maximum loads. They didn't need reheat treating testimony to the good work of the Tokyo Arsenal. The 500 grain hot loads won't chamber in my 1886's or someone's Marlin so they can't be mixed up and take the weaker actions apart.

Recently, I found an old unfinished Siamese Mauser project rifle from the '80's. It had been barreled by Dennis Bellm in .35-348 Winchester Ackley Improved. I had completely reshaped the bridge, removing the clip boss by draw filing, the bolt handle was modified with a Brownell weld on and the handle root draw filed to a perfectly flat square profile. David Gentry did the finish work, added a M-70 three position safety, opened the feed rails a bit, drilled and tapped for mounts and gave it a matt blue. Used a Timney Trigger and Burris mounts. Cobbled up a Richards Micro Fit stock. One of these days I'll finish working up loads for it, but so far it'll shoot average 1.5" groups with loads that produce 3,500 ft lbs using a 200 grain bullet.

These are great actions for rimmed cartridges based on the .45-70 and .50-110 (the .348 Winchester). Depending on barrel twist, 300 and 350 grain jacketed or cast bullets, driven by 3031, Varget and H4895 give good results. Have much fun. :D
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Forgive my ignorance but what is it about the Siamese Mauser that make it so desirable for these projects?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
creosote
Levergunner

Post by creosote »

Rusty wrote:Forgive my ignorance but what is it about the Siamese Mauser that make it so desirable for these projects?
The cartridge it was chambered for was a rimmed design to begin with.
creosote
bcp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcp »

Do Siamese Mausers have 2 barrels/forearms and only one action/stock?
This must be one of those: :roll:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9068799190

But this is a real Siamese Mauser. Note the slanted magazine box to keep rims arranged correctly.

Bruce
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I picked up my rifle from the gunsmith yesterday,got it home and mounted and bore sighted the old Weaver El Paso K6.Got to the range today and the first three shots at 25 yards were a clover leaf.At 100 yards a five shot group was about three inches.I attribute some of this to the military trigger so I dropped it back off at the gunsmith's on the way home to have a Timmey tirgger with integral safety installed.It's definitely a work in progress.More to follow as it happens.

Stan

Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Keep us posted.The new trigger should improve your groups. 8)
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Yeah, you'll like that trigger. I put one of those in my 22-250 Mauser that I built, major improvement.
NRA Life Member
Brian in FL
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Brian in FL »

If Your converted Siamese Mauser is anything like mine, you'll be very happy with it. Mine cloverleafs at 50 yards every time with a 2.5X Valor scope with a post reticle. 100 yard groups run around 1.5 - 2." The load I use now consists of a Remington 405 grain jacketed soft point bullet ahead of 58 grains of IMR3031. It's a pretty compressed charge.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

UPDATE 7-15-2009

Last time I reported on the Siamese in 45/70 I was having a Timmey trigger and sie safety installed.It turns out that my gunsmith had an adjustable BOLD trigger with integral side safety that had previously been on a 45/70 Siamese and he installed that for me.The trigger pull is smooth as can be with a very clean break.
I took it to the range today and shot a 100 yard 1-1/2" group and capped it off by clobbering a golf ball dead center at 100 yards.I think the project is complete and now just needs to wait for the right hunting trip.

Stan in SC

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Stan in SC wrote: I think the project is complete...
Not quite - you still need to post some pictures!!!
:D
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I sold a Siameese Mauser barreled action for someone on Gunbroker not to long ago .

But I am now wondering would it be an easy conversion to 444 Marlin ?

A magnum sized Mauser action with a faster twist ballard rifled barrel would be awesome for my 432-400GC bullet :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !