Tred Barta paralyzed!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Tred Barta paralyzed!

Post by JimT »

Looks like he could use some prayer.

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/news/new ... 72054.html
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Tred Barta paralyzed!

Post by gamekeeper »

I don't know of this guy but I hope he makes a full recovery.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've never personally met Tred, but I've watched his show as often as I could catch it. He's quite the personality. I will include him and his in my prayers for a speedy recovery.
Old Law Dawg
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Tred Barta is a sports personality and is one of the most egotistical guys I've ever seen. He brags about everything and thinks he is the greatest sportsman to ever live. Ya know what? He just might be. He always comes through on his promises and exploits. Tred used to have a TV program where he did almost all outdoor activities -- went hog hunting with a knife and killed a big hog with it; went grizzly bear hunting in Alaska with his long bow and got one.

He wears on you and is (in my opinion) a great guy. Comes through on all the promises he makes.

My prayers are up for Tred Barta.

Thanks for the heads-up Jim.
ED
Yer never too old
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Prayers up.....sorry to hear this!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Modoc ED wrote:Tred Barta is a sports personality and is one of the most egotistical guys I've ever seen. He brags about everything and thinks he is the greatest sportsman to ever live. Ya know what? He just might be. He always comes through on his promises and exploits. Tred used to have a TV program where he did almost all outdoor activities -- went hog hunting with a knife and killed a big hog with it; went grizzly bear hunting in Alaska with his long bow and got one.

He wears on you and is (in my opinion) a great guy. Comes through on all the promises he makes.

My prayers are up for Tred Barta.

Thanks for the heads-up Jim.
Hey Modoc Ed .. that's a great write-up! I liked watching his show because he showed his screwups as well as his victories. I loved it when he referred to himself as 190 pounds of hard blue steel .. and then his guide explained that Tred had taken the afternoon off to rest because the climb had worn him out. And he admitted it. To me he always came across "real" ....
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Tred is a fellow Long Islander that used hunting and fishing exploits to escape the shadows of NYC, much like myself. I wish him all the best and hope he makes a speedy recovery.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

That's true Jim. He would admit his faults to the point that it got down-right funny. He showed many hunts on his program where he ended up getting nothing but air and he'd laugh about it.

I think when he killed his grizzly with his long bow, it was the first grizzly to fall to a long bow in Alaska. At least the first recorded.
ED
Yer never too old
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Just sent Tred a letter.(He knows about being Real in Life)
I had conversed with him, several years back.
He is a Great man, and does not know how to fail!
He will beat this thing.Prayers have been sent out!!
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

That is, indeed, terrible news. Tred is truly the real deal. I'm not sure I would call someone "egotistical" who is also so self-deprecating. He does have standards (good ones, I might add) that he has set for himself in the pursuit of fish and game, and he holds himself to them. As someone else mentioned, he also is not shy about sharing his shortcomings and failures with his viewers. I like that. That takes a solid individual.

On the other side of the coin, he has the records and achievements to prove that he is no pretender. He is the perfect embodiment of that good ol' Texas saying: "If it's true, it ain't braggin'."

My prayers to him and his family and friends.

Scott
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

RSY wrote:That is, indeed, terrible news. Tred is truly the real deal. I'm not sure I would call someone "egotistical" who is also so self-deprecating. He does have standards (good ones, I might add) that he has set for himself in the pursuit of fish and game, and he holds himself to them. As someone else mentioned, he also is not shy about sharing his shortcomings and failures with his viewers. I like that. That takes a solid individual.

On the other side of the coin, he has the records and achievements to prove that he is no pretender. He is the perfect embodiment of that good ol' Texas saying: "If it's true, it ain't braggin'."

My prayers to him and his family and friends.

Scott
When I used the word "egotistical" I meant it in a good way. You bet he is egotistical and when he fails and his ego is bent a bit, he laughs it off and tries again. He made two or three trips to Alaska before he got his bear and the times he didn't get it he presented it as a learning experience and chuckled about it.

I sent him an e-mail at the link given. Maybe we all should just as we did for Terry when he was sick. I'm sure it will boost his morale.
ED
Yer never too old
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I hear ya, Ed. I just didn't want those who aren't familiar with him to take "egotistical" in its usual negative context.

As for him laughing it off, the funniest episode for me has to be where he and his longbow went after Canada goose. That was great comedy.

Scott
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

Anybody that duck hunts from a boat with a long-bow has to be an alright guy!
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

I am sad to hear of his misfortune. I would watch his show while working out sometimes and I always found it entertaining.

Dave
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

Tred was one of a very few sports personalities who truly believed it was all about the hunt, and not about the animal. He was overly enthusiastic at times, but seemed eager to try anything and share the results. I've seen many of his shows where he came up empty handed, but the excitement was still in his voice if he could just get close. I appreciate that more than any B&C record book canned hunt any day.
Well done is better than well said.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have never seen the show. I don't know him from Adam. I've said a prayer and will take Ed's suggestion and write him.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Don't know of him either but wouldn't wish that on anyone! Prayers up!!!
Brian in FL
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Brian in FL »

I just e-mailed him with my wish that he has a full and complete recovery.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I am a big fan of his show. I will say a prayer and an email.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jim T said it best a while ago. I don't remember the exact words but he said to live your life to the fullest because you just never know when the brakes are being put on. Treds a cool dude and we sure hope the best for him. He lived more in one year than the most of us have in our lifetimes.---------------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Tred is one of the GOOD GUYS.
Prayers up for Tred and hang in there friend!!
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Yes, prayers sent. Mr. Barta never seemed afraid to show his human side. Best Wishes, 1886.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The first time I watched his show I thought he was full of stuff. By the end of the show I thought, this guy is the most entrtaining outdoors personality on TV! I will sure be praying for his full recovery!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Godbless and Godspeed recovery.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."