45 Colt range Report--Update

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

45 Colt range Report--Update

Post by HEAD0001 »

I did what you guys said and bought a Redding Profile crimp die. I then applied what I considered to be a pretty heavy crimp to my 45 Colt load. I also went up to 20 grains of 2400 from 18 grains.

My goal was to try and get a cleaner burning load.

The 18 grain load was pretty dirt, however the 20 grain crimped load was also pretty dirty.

I did notice a bit more recoil. However the recoil was minimal. And the 20 grain load shot well. However I was just shoting at rocks-I did not put the load on paper.

I have been using WLP primers all the way through. I thought about using LPM primers, but everything I have read about the 45 Colt says to stay away from magnum primers. And I have several thousand WLP primers, and only a few hundred LPM primers.

I am going to try some Blue Dot and see how clean it burns. If it is not a substantial improvement then I am just going to stay with the 2400. I have close to 10# of 2400. I shoot it in my 44 magnum rifles, however it is not as dirty as in the 45 Colt. I am sure it is as you guys say, I must not be getting enough pressure in the 45 Colt to burn all the powder.

Oh well. I guess I will just use a few more patches. Tom.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 45 Colt range Report--Update

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I would suggest H110 or w296 (same powder) for hot 45 Colt loads. Use magnum primers. I've not found anything better.

I'm not a fan of Blue Dot - it seems to give wide velocity variations and poor accuracy for me.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I thought about H-110. And I have had a couple of other people recommend H-110. However I have read in several places to stay away from H-110. Including Hodgdon's. Hodgdon's does not recommend using H-110. And they do not recommend magnum primers.

I am probably overthinking this whole thing. however I am a varmint hunter, and for some reason I always try to get all the accuracy out of a firearm that I can. And to be honest my Low Wal is probably capable of pretty good accuracy. However tiny gropus are not realy necessary for the types of shooting and hunting I will be doing with this rifle.

I am just probably being too picky. I get accused of that a lot.

I wish I had a pound of H-110 laying around. However i do not. And with the way primers are I am definitely going to stay with the WLP's that I have. Tom.
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

read a warning about BLUE DOT just last week . Do your own research on the factory web.
I use H110 w/ 45 LC lots and wlp primers
pay heed about not lowering your H110/296 less than 10% below min. charge
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

For H110 in 45 Colt, I have the following data from directly from Hodgdon: (Ruger/TC only) using WLP.

250gr XTP – Start: 25.7gr – 1483 fps
Max: 28.0gr – 1532 fps

That’s with a 7.25” barrel. I have data for the 240gr. XTP MAG at home if you're interested.

I've had very good results results with H110 in my M94 A/E with the 240 grainers.

I’ve also used 12.2gr of Blue Dot with 250gr cast or plated bullets. It leaves a few unburned kernels behind. It works well enough for me.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

HEAD0001,

I think I posted in your other thread about the 2400 powder.

I don't remember what bullet you are using, so I'm going to show you a loaded .45 of mine that has a really good neck tension, a good solid roll crimp and is loaded with 2400 powder.
Taper Roll crimps.JPG
The load in the cartridge with the Keith bullet is:
265gr Keith SWC, .454" diameter
Winchester case
Winchester WLP primer
Alliant 2400 powder, 18.5grs
Tight neck tension, you can see the bulge where the bullet base is in the case.
Heavy roll crimp. The case mouth is rolled, not tapered, not Lee FCD, not any sort of fancy crimp, just rolled to the bottom of the crimp grove.

I've posted this because from my OM BH 7.5" barrel and both my Marlin and Winchester lever guns this load shoots very clean. Almost no unburned powder at all.

Maybe if you compare what you are doing to what I do something might turn up.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Joe,
I'm pretty sure the real difference between your clean load and Tom's "dirty" load is the barrel length. Whereas you may see a few kernels left... his much longer barrel is going to have a LOT more.

Tom,
I can't say much about Clays or Universal or even TrailBoss... although I have used them... I really wasn't looking at dirty vs. clean; just for cost per load and finally settled on RedDot. I've can't say its "clean"... but in any of my rifles (repeaters), I can't say I consider it dirty. There might be a little residue in the barrel, but... I seldom look at it from beginning to the end of a match... some 60 or more rounds later. (Yea, I know... any residue from previous rounds will be "swept" out by succeeding rounds)... but... I get good accuracy and a fair cost per round in comparison to other powders that I consider equivalent powders.

Since I really like RedDot for my 12 gauge, I buy it by the keg... and using it in the .45 Colt smokeless rounds I load for personal protection, hunting, and CAS is just sensible in my instance.

I ain't trying to talk you into it... as I usually figure someone trying to talk me into something has found themselve knee deep in manure and really wants company... or someone else to share the embarrassment. Just pointing out my favored .45 Colt powder and the (probably stupid) reason. :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff,

I'm shooting this load from 16" and 20" rifle barrels, how could what 6" more barrel cause such a difference?

I'm confused.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Oooops, I read the 7.5" and skipped the rest. Off to the corner for my dunce cap now.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Yeah, the 7.5" is my Ruger. It's the first of my guns I shot this load from and I was really amazed at how clean the chambers and bore was afterward. I've had other loads leave a lot of soot and kernels and greasy stuff, and I really expected this load to do that. It didn't. That's why I'm confused at the results HEAD0001 is getting.

Joe
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

Griff I also use Red Dot for my skeet loads. And I do have a few pounds of it on the bench(I quit shooting skeet). Are you not concerned about such a small amount of powder in the case?? ost of the Red Dot loads I have seen are between 7.0 and 8.0 grains.

J. Miller a picture is worth a thousand words!! I have been loading a 250 grain Hornady XTP bullet. However I just got my new RCBS 255 grain Keith style mold. So hopefully I can get some bullets cast in the next day or two. Thanks, Tom.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

HEAD0001 wrote:Griff I also use Red Dot for my skeet loads. And I do have a few pounds of it on the bench(I quit shooting skeet). Are you not concerned about such a small amount of powder in the case?? ost of the Red Dot loads I have seen are between 7.0 and 8.0 grains.

J. Miller a picture is worth a thousand words!! I have been loading a 250 grain Hornady XTP bullet. However I just got my new RCBS 255 grain Keith style mold. So hopefully I can get some bullets cast in the next day or two. Thanks, Tom.
Tom,
That's one of my favorite bullets. For a hotter, but not too hot load I've been using IMR 4227 from my Ruger and lever guns. The load from my 5th Edition Hornady manual is the one I've used. Accurate and fairly clean. Some unburned kernels but nothing to complain about. I'll dig out the load if you're interested.

Joe
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

O-tay, here's some pix for ya.

The 250gr XTP was traveling 1600fps and the 240gr XTP MAG was traveling 1900 fps. Both were shot from a 20" M94 A/E into a dirt embankment from 50 yds out. Not necessarily powder related but might be helpful to you.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

I read somewhere (then immediately forgot where) that using magnum primers with 2400 is good for an extra 5,000 pounds of pressure. Nonetheless, I used some magnum primers with 16.5 gr. of 2400, and got about the same results with them as with WLP's. No less fouling or unburned powder, recoil was about the same, etc..
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
slabsides
Levergunner

Post by slabsides »

I've been loading 2400 in .357, .44, .41 and .45 Colt for over 30 years now. I've always noticed a few yellowish unburned granules of powder in the bore, but I think it was Elmer Keith who said that those didn't matter. He always recommended a heavy crimp on sixgun loads, and regular, rather than magnum, primers. Those granules if you look closely at them are 'ash-like' rather than the solid little cylinders of unburnt powder.
I just went along with the old Master's recommendations. My loads are gratifyingly accurate, and the unburned granules of powder don't really bother me.
The Wise said: "This cannot be done." The Fool came, and did it.