OT- Colt SAA pic

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

OT- Colt SAA pic

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Finally got around to taking a picture of my old Colt today and I know there are some sixgun fans here so.. She was born in 1978 and I got her when I graduated high School in '79. .357 magnum, 5.5 inch barrel and as solid as the day I got her. I have no clue how many thousands of rounds (mostly lead) have gone down the bore.

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Colt SAA pic

Post by mescalero1 »

Nice
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I love my Ruger Flat Top, but there is just nothing like a nice Colt SAA! Beautiful and thanks for the pics.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Guns are not hers!!!!!!!!!!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Cool! My only Colt SAA is also a 1978 vintage 3rd Generation in .357 Magnum with an "artillery length" (5.5-inch) barrel! 8) :D
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Very nice, you had great tastes right out of High School!
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

She is sweet. :)
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Gday all'
There are alot of sixgun fans on this sight, single actions and levers just go together. Am looking to pick up a Colt or two, but have just picked up a Smith & Wesson model three American 1st model Russian, so funds are a bit short. The Russian will probably have to go up for sale, the piece is in too fine a condition to shoot, probably 98% original. Thought it was going to be a shooter till I saw its condition. Ah well.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

the telegraphist wrote:Gday all'
There are alot of sixgun fans on this sight, single actions and levers just go together. Am looking to pick up a Colt or two, but have just picked up a Smith & Wesson model three American 1st model Russian, so funds are a bit short. The Russian will probably have to go up for sale, the piece is in too fine a condition to shoot, probably 98% original. Thought it was going to be a shooter till I saw its condition. Ah well.
Now that's a terrible problem to have. A gun in too GOOD of condition! :wink:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

If they are not "hers" are they "hims" or "its"? Too pretty to be a Him, and darn to special to be relagated to an IT. Whatever they are....... SHE sure is pretty. :lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Guns are its.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Old Savage wrote:Guns are not hers!!!!!!!!!!

Mine is. Yours can be whatever you wish.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That is a fine looking old Colt you have.I bought mine in 1959, it was made in 1957 a .45 and has served me well through the years.

JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I grew up watching the old westerns and Colts were a big part of that. I love'em.

I need to take a picture of #2 someday.

Here's another single action that I really like.

Old Law Dawg
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've never been able to buy a real Colt SAA. It is my Holy Grail of sixguns. I've had S&Ws, all double actions, nothing as spectacular as the telegraphist's beautiful S&W. ( Which by the way I'd shoot anyway. ) I've had Colt DAs, and a couple three Colt small framed single actions, they sure were nice too. Made the Ruger Single Sixes look like junk. I've had Ruger Old and New Model Single Actions in a couple different calibers. But the closest I've ever had to a Colt is my Iver Johnson's Cattleman.

Someday I'll get my Holy Grail, until then I'll enjoy looking at all your pictures. Do any of you guys have a real used Colt SAA, all these look too new. Like they've never seen a holster or any amount of shooting.

Thanks for the pics.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

J Miller wrote:I've never been able to buy a real Colt SAA. It is my Holy Grail of sixguns. I've had S&Ws, all double actions, nothing as spectacular as the telegraphist's beautiful S&W. ( Which by the way I'd shoot anyway. ) I've had Colt DAs, and a couple three Colt small framed single actions, they sure were nice too. Made the Ruger Single Sixes look like junk. I've had Ruger Old and New Model Single Actions in a couple different calibers. But the closest I've ever had to a Colt is my Iver Johnson's Cattleman.

Someday I'll get my Holy Grail, until then I'll enjoy looking at all your pictures. Do any of you guys have a real used Colt SAA, all these look too new. Like they've never seen a holster or any amount of shooting.

Thanks for the pics.

Joe

It didn't show up in the pictures very well but mine has some holster wear at the muzzle and some of the CCH is getting thin in spots. Through a lot of carry and a LOT of shooting the Colt finish has held up really well. I just picked up a Ruger Bisley Vaquero .45 for a work gun so the Colt won't get beat up any more than it is now.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

JerryB wrote:That is a fine looking old Colt you have.I bought mine in 1959, it was made in 1957 a .45 and has served me well through the years.

JerryB, That is a beauty! Who made the leather? Thanks for the pic,that is a classy Colt You have there.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

kimwcook, That Freedom arms is a Beaut! Whats the story on your Colt? age,caliber and who made the grips? Thanks for the pics!
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Cool! My only Colt SAA is also a 1978 vintage 3rd Generation in .357 Magnum with an "artillery length" (5.5-inch) barrel! 8) :D

You obviously have impeccable taste in SAA's YK. :wink: How about a pic?
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Right there are some nice gals boys!!!!!!!!
Old Savage! :? No/No/No/No

Dem Dare beauties are Sheeeeezzzzzzzzzzzz!!
I even talk to mine once in a while(and they can talk back loudly) and somtimes I even give em a little kiss on the barrel, or even somtimes on the butt :mrgreen:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Right on Bro :D You are a madman!!!!

rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

They always go together especially when they are both the same caliber, 38-40.

"That'll Be The Day"
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Joe, my old Colt looked alot different when I bought it in 1959, it had the case colored frame and the stag grips. In January of 1962 I was hog hunting with some friends where we lived in south Florida. In the middle of a big slough (a large natural pond)my horse jumped and bucked a little and the Colt came out of the holster into the water. It tooks 4 months to find it, my friend at the gunshop cleaned it up and reblued the gun. It has alot of tannic acid etching from the swamp water on it but it still hits good for me up to 140 yards. That is the longest I have shot and hit with it. I reckon beauty is just skin deep. I still stake my life and my families on it as it is one of my main carry guns.

SmokeEater2, the holster is a Mernickle my grandson has one for his Ruger NV 4 5/8 .357 they really conceal nice.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Old Savage wrote:Guns are not hers!!!!!!!!!!
Yes they are.!!!!!
ED
Yer never too old
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Modoc,

Based on the picture you posted on that other Mescalero thread we have questions about your conception of "her" :D :D :D .

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Old Savage wrote:Modoc,

Based on the picture you posted on that other Mescalero thread we have questions about your conception of "her" :D :D :D .
That gal was from my "Redneck" file. Gotta give her credit though. Not too many gals can hold up a wine bottle with their bellybutton. :lol:
ED
Yer never too old
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Modoc ED wrote:
Old Savage wrote:Modoc,

That gal was from my "Redneck" file. Gotta give her credit though. Not too many gals can hold up a wine bottle with their bellybutton. :lol:

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ed - they are all yours!!! :D :shock: :o :lol:

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Hmmm. I thought that this old pic was already posted, but guess it failed to pass through the threshhold. :lol:

Early 20th Century Frontier Six-Shooters.Image
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Mike D now those are sixguns, never cared much for the Bisleys but that one has class, it just looks like a good shooter.

SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Outstanding Mike D.! Do You know any of the history behind them?
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

rangerider7 wrote:They always go together especially when they are both the same caliber, 38-40.

Now THAT is a combo! :D
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Smokeeater2, my Colt is a 3rd Gen. in 45 Colt. The grips are elephant ivory I carved out myself.

Professor, that Colt I showed has about three thousand rounds through it and it's packed in a holster quite often. It doesn't show the holster wear at the high points, but they're there.
Old Law Dawg
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

SmokeEater2 wrote:Outstanding Mike D.! Do You know any of the history behind them?
No, I picked them up long ago, and have never wanted to fork out the excess bucks for a Colt letter that really tells nothing. The Model P has a very nice set of initials on the backstrap that someone went to a lot of trouble to have engraved. Don't ask me about the "notches", 'cause I ain't got a clue. 8)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

JerryB, kimwcook,
I have the same problem. My Old Model BH has lots of white showing on the edges and some thinning of the bluing elsewhere, yet it doesn't show well. The silly thing looks much nicer than it really is. Same with IJ. It's just really hard to show all the character it has.
I wish I knew how to do the lighting so I could show them as they really are. Character marks and all.

MikeD,
If I'm I correct the "Frontier Six Shooters" were all 44-40 weren't they?

rangerider7,
I'd like to be lucky enough to put together a pair like that, and be able to use them enough so they develop the character those two have.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

You guys with the 1st Gen. Colt's make me very envious. Love those old pistolas and the character they have.
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote:Guns are its.
Nits are its. Guns, especially Single Actions and Lever actions are definitely hers. Mighty comfortable to hold, with a magic that only a close relationship will reveal to the few that pay attention. Others may pretent to understand... but the magic escapes them; some may think they understand them... but the true essence of a Colt SAA or a Winchester '73 is really far beyond their ability to truly understand. Like a fine wine or woman... you can simply accept them for what they are... or battle the rest of your life in an impossible war.

A finely made and balance double (side by side) falls in that mysterious crowd also.

Oh yeah... you're free to disagree... BUT YOU'RE WRONG!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Correct, all Colt SA Frontier Six-Shooters are .44 WCF. Mine, being more recent vintage, have the rolled markings.ImageImage
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Griff wrote:
Old Savage wrote:Guns are its.
Nits are its. Guns, especially Single Actions and Lever actions are definitely hers. Mighty comfortable to hold, with a magic that only a close relationship will reveal to the few that pay attention. Others may pretent to understand... but the magic escapes them; some may think they understand them... but the true essence of a Colt SAA or a Winchester '73 is really far beyond their ability to truly understand. Like a fine wine or woman... you can simply accept them for what they are... or battle the rest of your life in an impossible war.

A finely made and balance double (side by side) falls in that mysterious crowd also.

Oh yeah... you're free to disagree... BUT YOU'RE WRONG!

Very well put Griff! :)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Griff, I love the way you approach things - an education every time I read your take. But - I have a Colt SSA and it is 44 Special.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote:Griff, I love the way you approach things - an education every time I read your take. But - I have a Colt SSA and it is 44 Special.
Ah, OS... more's the pity. You simply don't know her well enough... yet. I have high hopes you'll attain that special relationship and understanding will flow thru you like... a new spring day.

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Griff, love the gun and it's special qualities - just don't see objects as having a sex.

Now women, that's different. :D