lead

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

lead

Post by mescalero1 »

Is $ 30.00 for a 5 gallon bucket full of lead:
unreasonable?
reasonable?
what?
Don McDowell

Re: lead

Post by Don McDowell »

If its lead, that's not bad. If its unrendered wheelweights, I'm on the not so hot side.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd probably buy it. If it doesn't have zinc or some such in it, it would be good bullet material, and if it turns out it does, you're "only" out $30 - and could use it for some other purpose - cast some slugs, cast some .45 bullets to use in sabots for a .50 muzzleloader, etc... OTOH, I've not casted bullets in 30 years, and know little of what I speak... :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I wouldn't be too crazy about it, but that's prolly about the going rate for wheel weights so long as they are usable lead and not a bunch of zinc weights mixed in.
NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Not to highjack this post, but it is along the lines of the original question. What is a fair price for lead by the pound, and where is the best place to get it?
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

YK,
I consider that to be germain to the subject matter.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

mescalero1 wrote:YK,
I consider that to be germain to the subject matter.
Kind of thought so myself m1! :D Just didn't want to be accused of the vile "hi-jacking"! :shock: :wink: :lol:

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

The going rate for WW's here is 30 cents/pound. A 5 gallon pail is over 100 pounds, maybe 130 pounds, if I recall correctly. So $30 is good in my books. I stopped carrying 5 gallon pails full of wheel weights last winter ... a fellow is way off balance if he's carrying just one, so he needs to carry two, which puts an extra 250 pounds or thereabouts straight down my spine. Nothing happened yet, but I figured I'd stop before something did and Ol Betsy blew, especially with all the side to side twisting necessary to get out of the tire shop with all my loot. I could tell the tire shop owner wasn't very happy about me carrying 5 gallon pails full of wheel weights out of his shop. I imagine he was thinking popped spine=big lawsuit, because he asked me if I couldn't start using a little trolley. I wasn't going to buy a trolley, so I started carrying smaller pails into his shop.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Not to highjack this post, but it is along the lines of the original question. What is a fair price for lead by the pound, and where is the best place to get it?
If you're after certified alloy, I've not found anybody better than www.rotometals.com
There are folks on Ebay selling rendered wheelweights and other types of recycled lead, the price varies greatly.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I get mine for anywhere from $20/pail to spot scrap price depending on the shop.

Most of the Chain tire shops require WW turn-in either for use by their in-house battery mfg operation or other EPA/scrap recoup.

Smaller/independent shops mostly stopped throwing WWs away a couple of years ago, and got serious about scrapping them out when Lead was selling for over $1.60 spot last fall.

Can't get as much from the scrappers now, so some kind words, a $20 bill and/or a case of beer will get you a long way.

I generally lose about 10% of the weight of a bucket to Trash, Fe, Zinc & Polymer weights, and another 10% to Pure Lead stick-ons (which I smelt seperately).

I spent an afternoon sorting my most recent intake.

I had 3 buckets (identical 5gal, generic, from the surplus mart) filled by the same tire shop.

They averaged 130lb each.

Most of us sort out the (nearly) pure pb stick-on weights, but I go a couple of steps further.

I sort out the stick-ons, zincers & steelies (I get most of them this way), and all the trash... PLUS I seperate the WWs into 2 seperate sizes: 40g+ and 40g- (essentially >1.5oz and <1.25oz) call 'em "Biguns" & "lil'uns".

Most people wouldn't bother, but since I'm sorting anyway it gives me the opportunity to smelt the ones with the higher alloy-to-clip ratio first...

So, by the numbers:

390lb(+/-) raw "from the shop" WWs weighed in 3 buckets on a bathroom scale =

188lb <40g WWs (lil-uns)
143lb >40g WWs (big-uns)
035lb pb stick-ons
015lb Zinc/Steel/loose clips
010lb Polymer Tape weights, Dirt, Valve stems, Cigs, etc.

FWIW, all 143lb of "big-uns" just fit into a 5gal bucket. I can only get 130ish# of "lil-uns" in a bucket...

Next step/stop will be to smelt each set & post the clip/alloy ratios. :-D

(the ratios really interest me because 655# of my WW stock is in "Lil-uns"... and I want to calculate out the yeild...)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

I buy lead from an indoor range's backstops for $35/5 gallon bucket. I've yet to take the jackets in to sell for scrap, so I dunno what that'll bring.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

I am paying $10 for a 1 gallon jug of wheel weights.
when your enemy is within range so are you
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I am Kinda spoiled. My Son-In-Law is a service Mgr. at a Chevy Store.
He has the Tire Guy save all the weights for us.
He shoots PB, and uses the stick-ons and I get the hard one's.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The local scrap yard is paying $.10 - $.20 apound for wheel weights and $.30 for lead. I've been paying $15 to $20 a bucket because it isn't all usable. But if your having a hard time finding it $30 isn't bad.