Old photos, very interesting!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Old photos, very interesting!

Post by rangerider7 »

"That'll Be The Day"
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Old photos, very interesting!

Post by piller »

Great photos. Do you have any background information on them?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Holy smokes he has a fox on a leash. That must be a conversation starter when taking it out for walks.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

great pics. The bearded fellow in the first pic is packing an 1895 Winchester, I wonder what caliber?

8)
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Pathfinder09 wrote:great pics. The bearded fellow in the first pic is packing an 1895 Winchester, I wonder what caliber?
8)

That's a '28" barrel length, which was only offered in the .30-40 and the .303 Brit. It has the scalloped receiver of the second model, which makes it post 1896, and if the caliber is .303 then it would be post 1898. Since they are elk, and the hat looks to be from the north with a bit of a French flair, I would lay my money on the .303.

Ed

BTW: That's the early magazine configuration which means that the rifle was pre-1906, and the rifle also appears to be TD.

If anyone can ID the second man's hat or rifle, that might give additional clues. The hat looks military to me, and I've no idea what rifle the other dude is carrying.
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

Looks like a Swiss Vertelli to my eye, with some sporterizing done to it. By that time (certainly past 1895) the Swiss had gone over to the Schmidt-Rubin line and the Vertellis were probably surplussed out.

http://www.swissrifles.com/vetterli/index.html
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I looked up the Vertelli, thanks for the info. Interesting the Vertelli...even though it was a rimfire it shot a 300 gr. bullet at over 1400 fps! That was quite the viable big game round wasn't it. Wonder why I haven't heard of it before. You would have thought that surplus would have made them more common.

Ed
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Ummmm Kimo sabe. Him a norwegion maybeso russian.,Ho! come here maybe 4, 5 years ago. HO! Him married, gottum good squaw take good care of him. Ho! Lookum to be rich whiteye from boston. Ho! Unnnn maybeso importer of cavier and vodka. Ho! Also him hollow, look like hasum 4 papooses. Ho! Uhhhhh, now him partner, really is younger brother. Ho! Come to land young. Ho! Him sponser brother. Ho! Both do good.Ho! Brother first come here as bodyguard to czar. Ho! Hunt with cody. Ho! Decide to stay. Ho! I have spoken. Ho!
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

I was going to say that the barrel length on the rifle of the guy with the 2 kids looks like its about 30 inches long!!
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

Rangerider
Want to make sure that you understand that your efforts are really appreciated in all the pic's that you post. Very enjoyable.
Certainly the guns , but I also look closely at how they dressed . In the first photo it seems possible that he may have been a person of some wealth , what w/ a three piece suit and tie. His hunting partner is also dressed quite well I would think for that era.
Now in the second photo it appears that this might be more of what might be termed as some of the locals , in what was more of everyday dress. Although it does appear that a sheet of sorts is hung up for a photo shoot but it looks like "dads" spenders are repaired or adjusted w/ a knot and that is what I would of expected maybe back then. And his apparent offspring ..undoubtedly was how kids were dressed then , and I would think that kids then wouldn't have had very many different sets of clothes, very interesting to say the least
On the third pic his beard trim seems quite unique , and you have to wonder if that was somewhat common? The stuffed animals that are there pears to be available for anyone that was gettin photographed
thanks again Range
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

You guys are sure a wealth of information.

+1 on the thanks Rangerider. I love these old photos and the history you come up with.

8)
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

I believe some of the clothing and guns you see in these photos may be props for people to use when getting a picture taken. I can't remember where, but I have a memory of reading that somewhere. So you can't always tell whether you're looking at a real hunter or someone just posing next to the studio props. In this case, my bet is the top photo is real and those guys did the killing. The old fella at the bottom with the odd menagerie of taxidermy--that's prop. The man and sons in the middle--I wouldn't want to be the one to take his Winchester. Something in the eyes.
On the third pic his beard trim seems quite unique , and you have to wonder if that was somewhat common?
He's a member of the Horace Greeley fan club.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Another cool set of pictures rr7! 8)
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

This may not be all that old (1934) but this eight year old hunter is proudly showing off his trophies he shot with the 22 rifle he got for his sixth birthday two years before.

My proud dad's shadow is showing on the left side of the picture -

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

The man in the second picture is either very small or he's holding a '76.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.