OT: Pooter questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Pooter questions

Post by J Miller »

OK, here's the skinny.

We are on dial up with a 56K modem through our phone line.
House phone lines were rewired by yours truly about 2 years ago.

Any time I get into a thread like Rangrider7's lever gun / single action thread I'm dead in the water. This computer WILL NOT down load and show all the pictures.

Now, we do not want to spend the extra funds for cable, or high speed, or DSR or anything like that UNTIL we're moved and settled elsewhere. Need the money for things here.

So, what can we do to this computer as it sits to speed up it's connecting powers? I want to see those pics.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT: Pooter questions

Post by Gun Smith »

For a while I had a kind of intermediate high speed service. There were no frills, and back then it was about $15.00 a month. It was thru my local telephone company. That's all I remember.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

IIRC you can also set preferences to not download photos except at your request.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

madman4570 wrote:http://www.speedupnow.com/speed-tweaks/ ... weaks.html

Get her Rocking dude!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for that link. I just read it and as soon as I can get it printed out we'll give it a try. Sound simple enough .... even for me.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:?: When's the last time you did a disc cleanup and a disc defrag? If you surf the net alot you should do them every couple of weeks as a maintenance item. Just a thought......

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

J Miller wrote:OK, here's the skinny.

We are on dial up with a 56K modem through our phone line.
House phone lines were rewired by yours truly about 2 years ago.

Any time I get into a thread like Rangrider7's lever gun / single action thread I'm dead in the water. This computer WILL NOT down load and show all the pictures.

Now, we do not want to spend the extra funds for cable, or high speed, or DSR or anything like that UNTIL we're moved and settled elsewhere. Need the money for things here.

So, what can we do to this computer as it sits to speed up it's connecting powers? I want to see those pics.

Joe
You can go from the lowest cost dial up (~$7/mo) to the lowest DSL (~$18/mo). That's about 37 cents a day difference. In return a graphics intensive page that takes a couple minutes on dial up takes only a few seconds on DSL. It seems like a no brainer. Isn't your time worth something? For 37 cents a day you can increase your speed by 25x or more. What used to take 2 hours of time to download in an evening will take 5 minutes with DSL.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Well Joe, if you get a good solution here, let me know I have the same problem. I just checked my connection and it says I am at a speed of a whopping 42.6 Kbps. This is on a new puter I just bought last week when my old one went south on me and it only averaged about 28Kbps. DSL not available in my area, so the only high speed options for me is satelite or wireless, and at $60 plus bucks a month and me laid off that ain't happening. I tried to open the same thread yesterday and the download was taking so long I just closed it, vids are a impossibility. I feel your pain!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

madman4570,
Checked everything the site you gave me said to and the only thing needed changing was the speed. It was set too slow.

Afterward I actually got to see all the pics on Rangrider7's thread. It still loaded slow, but at least it loaded.

Tom,
Not sure about the defrag and cleanup. Wifie usually does that after I've gone to bed. With this computer though it doesn't seem to make much difference. We'll do it again though and see.

ceb,
Doing what it said in that site did help a bit. I'm thinking these newer computers are so geared to DSL and the other types of internet service that the old phone modems just can't do it anymore. My old Win 98 box loads faster than this one, and this one only has Win XP Pro.

Joe
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

If you disk is almost full that's bad thing, find something to delete :D
Next to the line speed the most important thing for online browsing is available memory, any computer made in the last 4 or 5 years is fast enough for your line speed and everything in the last year it simply bloody overkill for almost anything you can do at home. I'm now playing with dual quad nehalems doing simulations, this couple grand machine is faster then what I bought 10ish years ago for 12 million bucks! Anyhow make sure when your browsing nothing else it up and running, also check to make sure you don't have background things starting you don't need. Even if they are idle they are sucking up some memory even if they are swapped out.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

We have the same problem at our house. DSL not available cause we is country folks, and like ceb said I refuse to pay $60.00 bucks a month for wireless. We just got a new pc about 2 months ago it has VISTA and when we hooked it up the first time it would not log on to the net. A call to HP help and found out they don't even put phone line modems in the pc's anymore, had to go to Best Buy and pay extra for it. It is a bit faster than the old one usually get 50.6 where the old one was 45.2 at best......going to look at the settings as advised by the speedup link and see what does for us.
UNITE