OT - Terry Murbach do you still have your Skeeter Ruger?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

OT - Terry Murbach do you still have your Skeeter Ruger?

Post by salvo »

I was Googling and reading some of Skeeter's articles that I could find on the Internet and stumbled on this story by Sheriff Jim Wilson:
http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmoke/0611/

Terry, do you still have your Skeeter .44 Special and what serial number did you get?
And now for the obvious, how bout a picture or two? :mrgreen:
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Terry Murbach do you still have your Skeeter Ruger?

Post by Pete44ru »

Terry told me he was headed to Raton last weekend, for a week or so with the Shootists.

salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Thanks Pete, I forgot about the Shootists Holiday. I'll bump this back up next week.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Hey Salvo - if you're still looking for 44 special brass I saw several auctions on gunbroker - didn't check the prices or anything but thought you might like to know.

I ordered some from Grafs a couple weeks ago - Winchester - and got two bags of 100 and then I saw your post about wanting some - checked back and they were OOS again.... so it goes these days.

ETA - here you go - fair price! http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi ... =130497594
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Thanks O.S.O.K.
CBinNH has almost 200 pieces that he is sending me, for free no less. The generosity of our levergun family is impressive and never ceases to amaze me. That should hold me over until sanity returns (Hopefully)
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Would the "new" .44 Special Ruger is offering be the same as this pistol?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Timothy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Timothy »

Whats Terry's conection to the old sixguners, was he a writer or in the industry somehow? Thanks
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Timothy wrote:Whats Terry's conection to the old sixguners, was he a writer or in the industry somehow? Thanks
Terry is like a lot of us experienced folks, he has a lot of experience! Writer, worked at Cor-Bon, defender of truth justice and the American way... I'm sure I can't do justice in any description of his accomplishments. Our Terry is THE Terry. A fine person and a loyal friend.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hobie wrote:
Timothy wrote:Whats Terry's conection to the old sixguners, was he a writer or in the industry somehow? Thanks
Terry is like a lot of us experienced folks, he has a lot of experience! Writer, worked at Cor-Bon, defender of truth justice and the American way... I'm sure I can't do justice in any description of his accomplishments. Our Terry is THE Terry. A fine person and a loyal friend.
What was his "pen name" ?

I've been scouring gun mags for about 40 years now and I don't remmember seeing his name in print before .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

6pt-sika wrote:
Hobie wrote:
What was his "pen name" ?

I've been scouring gun mags for about 40 years now and I don't remmember seeing his name in print before .
Check out "American Handgunner" and "Guns" magazines and you'll find references to Terry. You might try Googling "Shootist Society" for info too.
ED
Yer never too old
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Terry is the real deal and we are lucky to have his wisdom imparted to us, as we are with so many here. No Place Like Home!!!!!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Skeeter Skelton's 44 Special Rugers are conversions done on the .357 Flattop - three screw version of course.

The Lipsey's 44 Specials are basically the same pistol only with the new lockwork and a few minor differences - like a steel frame for example.

But without Skeeter's promotion, I doubt we would be shooting any 44 Specials at this time in history...

And I've seen Terry's articles in Guns magazine. Here's a great article by John Taffin - Terry is included. http://www.gunsmagazine.com/Features/Ft ... 1207b.html
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Here's a sample of Terry's writing - right here, on our own home page !

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/murbach.htm

FYI - There's probably about 40 good articles there, by various contributors.
A read of which would answer about 75% of the questions many here seem to have about leverguns and cartridges, BTW.

Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

IMHO Terry was one of the best writers I have read. I put him right up there with the top. I still refer to a number of his articles from time to time. His article on loading mid-range wadcutters in the 38/357 was the best ever on the subject.

Sometimes, the newer breed of shooters don't have the years of experience to tell the difference between a true veteran shooter with a generation of experience and an internet blow-hard. There are plenty of the latter and not enough of the former.

I don't know why Terry hung up his pen, but I would bet it has something to do with the fact that Terry does not suffer fools lightly. He has zero patience with foolishness and artiface.
mike454
Levergunner

Post by mike454 »

Terry, among other things, wrote the reloading column for Petersons Handguns for many years.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Looks like Terry made it back, so I'll bump it back to the top.
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

HOLY MOLY, THANKS FOR ALL THE KIND COMMENTS, GUYS. I WAS ON STAFF AT PETERSON'S HANDGUNS AND SHOOTING TIMES HANDGUNNING MAGAZINES. AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER I HAD STUFF IN EVERY GUN PUBLICATION THERE IS EXCEPT FOR GUNS&AMMO AND SHOOTING TIMES.

IT IS FUNNY TO SEE YOU ASK AT THIS TIME IF I STILL HAVE THE TLA SKEETER SKELTON COMMEMORATIVE SERIAL NUMBER "SS6.". THE ANSWER IS NO. ON THE FIRST DAY OF THIS YEAR'S SHOOTISTS HOLIDAY, JUNE FIRST, I PRESENTED IT TO MY LITTLE KID BROTHER BOGE QUINN. HE HAD ASKED ABOUT IT SOME YEARS AGO AND HAD ASKED IF I'D GIVE IT TO HIM IN MY WILL. I HAD PUT A NOTE IN THE GUN'S CASE FOR THIS TO BE DONE BUT THE MORE I THOUGHT ABOUT IT OVER THE YEARS [ AND IN THE PAST TWO YEARS I HAVE HAD THE BEAT THE GRIM REAPER TWICE ] THE MORE I REALIZED IT WOULD PROBABLY WOULD NOT BE DONE AS ASKED FOR WHEN I CASH IN MY CHIPS. THEN BOGE ASKED ME SOME TIME BACK TO BRING IT TO SH'09 AS HE HAD NEVER SEEN IT IN THE FERROUS FLESH AS IT WERE. I BROUGHT IT ALONG AND WHEN HE WAS LOOKING IT OVER I JUST SORTA QUIETLY SAID IT IS ALL YOURS NOW, TAKE IT WITH YOU. THE LOOK ON HIS FACE WAS PRICELESS !!!! IT WAS WONDERFUL !!!! IT IS TRULY MORE BLESSED TO GIVE THAN TO RECEIVE !!!
ANOTHER REASON I GAVE IT TO BOGE WAS THE FACT HE COLLECTS TLA SIXGUNS AND I KNEW HE WOULD NEVER HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO BUY ONE THE TLA SKEETER SKELTON COMMEMORATIVES WHAT WITH THERE BEING ONLY SIX OTHERS EVER MADE. HE DOES NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THAT NOW AND HAS JOINED A VERY--VERY!!--SELECT GROUP OF MEN WHO OWN THE SKEETER GUNS.
NOW LET IT BE NOTED HERE THAT I DO NOT WANT YOU GUYS TO MAKE A BIG DEAL OUT OF ALL THIS AS IT IS THE ONLY DECENT THING I HAVE DONE IN THE PAST TWENTY YEARS SINCE THAT LAWYER IN TEXAS MESSED WITH ME AND I PUT THE BIG SHAFT TO THE SONOFABISCUIT AND STARTED THE PROCESS THAT GOT HIS LAW LICENSE LIFTED. I DON'T THINK THAT BASTARD IS DRIVING HIS BIG MERCEDES WITH THE GOLD PLATED HUBCAPS ANYMORE EITHER AAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAA...L O L !!!
AND SO IT GOES.....
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice story, Terry. Good on you.
Old Law Dawg
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Interesting and timely next chapter to the story. Skeeter was one of my top favorites, one of the best gun writers ever.

Bought this 21 years ago directly due to Skeeter's writings - 6,000 rds later it looks almost new. Had it out for the first time in months just before reading this.

Awfully nice and thoughtful of you Terry - surely that made Skeeter smile.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

that was a wonderful thing to do Terry. Good on you and i hope you keep cheating the Reaper!!!!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

A couple years ago I looked and could not find any information as to whether John Wooters was still kicking ?

Any insight ?
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Thanks for sharing that with us Terry, I don't care what others may say your a class act :D I guess I don't have to worry about seeing a picture of it, Boge loves showing off his fine revolvers over at the Single-Actions Forum, he's a lucky guy having you for a big brother.
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Wonderful posts - on behalf of and by Mr. Murbach. This kind of stuff is partly what sets Leverguns.com way apart from any other site on the Internet. Good show, Mr. CAPITALS.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Old Savage wrote:Interesting and timely next chapter to the story. Skeeter was one of my top favorites, one of the best gun writers ever.

Bought this 21 years ago directly due to Skeeter's writings - 6,000 rds later it looks almost new. Had it out for the first time in months just before reading this.

Awfully nice and thoughtful of you Terry - surely that made Skeeter smile.

OS,

Where do you get targets like that?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Two points:

Big ol mean guy like Terry, picking on a sweet as sugar, gentle as a lamb Texas lawyer! Tisk! Tisk! Tisk!

I read in the Corpus Christi Caller Times a year or two ago that long time Houston hunting and firearms writer John Wooters has passed away. Pity.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Way to go Terry! I know what you mean about giving - it really does feel great - especially when the receiver is someone thats really special to you. My wife and I have been blessed with three kids and I've already gifted them all with various firearms - and I intend to continue to do so throughout the rest of my life. They will all end up with pretty nice collections if all goes well :)

And sorry that you had a run in with such a poor representative of Texas. But it sounds like you got the better of him! :twisted:
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Terry Murbach wrote:HOLY MOLY, THANKS FOR ALL THE KIND COMMENTS, GUYS. I WAS ON STAFF AT PETERSON'S HANDGUNS AND SHOOTING TIMES HANDGUNNING MAGAZINES. AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER I HAD STUFF IN EVERY GUN PUBLICATION THERE IS EXCEPT FOR GUNS&AMMO AND SHOOTING TIMES.

IT IS FUNNY TO SEE YOU ASK AT THIS TIME IF I STILL HAVE THE TLA SKEETER SKELTON COMMEMORATIVE SERIAL NUMBER "SS6.". THE ANSWER IS NO. ON THE FIRST DAY OF THIS YEAR'S SHOOTISTS HOLIDAY, JUNE FIRST, I PRESENTED IT TO MY LITTLE KID BROTHER BOGE QUINN. HE HAD ASKED ABOUT IT SOME YEARS AGO AND HAD ASKED IF I'D GIVE IT TO HIM IN MY WILL. I HAD PUT A NOTE IN THE GUN'S CASE FOR THIS TO BE DONE BUT THE MORE I THOUGHT ABOUT IT OVER THE YEARS [ AND IN THE PAST TWO YEARS I HAVE HAD THE BEAT THE GRIM REAPER TWICE ] THE MORE I REALIZED IT WOULD PROBABLY WOULD NOT BE DONE AS ASKED FOR WHEN I CASH IN MY CHIPS. THEN BOGE ASKED ME SOME TIME BACK TO BRING IT TO SH'09 AS HE HAD NEVER SEEN IT IN THE FERROUS FLESH AS IT WERE. I BROUGHT IT ALONG AND WHEN HE WAS LOOKING IT OVER I JUST SORTA QUIETLY SAID IT IS ALL YOURS NOW, TAKE IT WITH YOU. THE LOOK ON HIS FACE WAS PRICELESS !!!! IT WAS WONDERFUL !!!! IT IS TRULY MORE BLESSED TO GIVE THAN TO RECEIVE !!!
ANOTHER REASON I GAVE IT TO BOGE WAS THE FACT HE COLLECTS TLA SIXGUNS AND I KNEW HE WOULD NEVER HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO BUY ONE THE TLA SKEETER SKELTON COMMEMORATIVES WHAT WITH THERE BEING ONLY SIX OTHERS EVER MADE. HE DOES NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THAT NOW AND HAS JOINED A VERY--VERY!!--SELECT GROUP OF MEN WHO OWN THE SKEETER GUNS.
NOW LET IT BE NOTED HERE THAT I DO NOT WANT YOU GUYS TO MAKE A BIG DEAL OUT OF ALL THIS AS IT IS THE ONLY DECENT THING I HAVE DONE IN THE PAST TWENTY YEARS SINCE THAT LAWYER IN TEXAS MESSED WITH ME AND I PUT THE BIG SHAFT TO THE SONOFABISCUIT AND STARTED THE PROCESS THAT GOT HIS LAW LICENSE LIFTED. I DON'T THINK THAT BASTARD IS DRIVING HIS BIG MERCEDES WITH THE GOLD PLATED HUBCAPS ANYMORE EITHER AAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAA...L O L !!!
AND SO IT GOES.....
Just to be sure nobody missed this answer.

Didn't I say you were a true friend? :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

It's much better to pass one's guns on while one is still around than to hope they go to the correct folks after one's death. That way the recipient and the giver really know how things are between them. Now, I'd like to hear the story of the "gift" the Texas attorney received. :D
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Terry, reading your reply just made a great end to my day! I can think of no better way to transfer a very special sixgun .... and you got to see the look on Boge Quinn's face. Now you've given me some ideas here ..... why don't I give away some of my stuff before I die so that I get to see the look on my friends' and family's faces. That is a great idea. By the way, I hope you stay fit and spry so that it is a very long time before you have to cash in your chips.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Boge posted pictures! Terry that is one sweet .44!

http://singleactions.proboards.com/inde ... thread=549
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
Boge Quinn
Shootist

Post by Boge Quinn »

Just in case you guys missed it - I am a darn lucky guy to have a friend and brother like Terry. I've always loved the cranky old fanny burp, and now I know why! This is a once-in-a-lifetime gun, and I am still overwhelmed by it.
Pray for Obama.
Psalm 109:8
2 dogs
Shootist

Post by 2 dogs »

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Im glad its over. We hadda listen to Boge all week long walk around saying, "Look what Terry gave me".....Meanwhile, we did at least get Murbach to exercise a little didnt we? :wink:
Boge Quinn
Shootist

Post by Boge Quinn »

Never seen him reset targets before!
Pray for Obama.
Psalm 109:8
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That's really cool.
Old Law Dawg