Surviving an outdoor adventure

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Surviving an outdoor adventure

Post by t.r. »

I enjoy backpacking into the rugged Bighorn Mts. of central Wyoming. Other favorites include White River Nat'l Forest, Colorado and Carson-Iceberg Wilderness, California. The knowledge in these books can easily make the difference between life and death. Although out of print, these books are available through amazon and occasionally eBay as well.

Many times I don't pack a tent to save on weight. Instead I make a little lean-to shelter framed with limbs and covered with featherweight plastic sheeting. I roll the sheeting edges at home to form hems and use a handy tool to install grommets.

HINT: Gain the knowledge BEFORE departing for your destination. Don't carry these books with you.

Happy adventures to you!
TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Surviving an outdoor adventure

Post by JerryB »

That looks like some good reading.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

It's always better to have the knowledge prior to finding oneself knee deep in kimchi.

I had a great learning experience when I took cold winter survival in the Corps. We ate one C rat during the first three days. Taught me that if one had to survive on ones own for very long, they'd be very busy just trying to find food. Edible plants is one area I find hard to remember. Eat the wrong one and you could be done. Same with shrooms.
Old Law Dawg
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Bradford Angiers (sp?) books on the subject are worth having too.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

The Boy Scouts Handbook is full of outdoor knowledge, a handy size, and in some instances is worth packing with you.
ED
Yer never too old
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Modoc ED wrote:The Boy Scouts Handbook is full of outdoor knowledge, a handy size, and in some instances is worth packing with you.
Yep still got mine although a bit worse for wear.

Kim yep have to love Bridgeport. Spent my time up there you do learn alot.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

When I started in Florida's State Wildlife Officers Academy in 1982, Ragnar Benson's book Survival Poaching was an immediate/mandatory required read for us. He gave a very detail description of what he did (illegally) and how he operated to avoid being captured by Wardens. I don't recommend you use his methods, but it sure gave some good insight into the mind of a outlaw hunter.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
uncowboy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by uncowboy »

Survival poaching. Yes I have read this book :shock: . It made you want to live off of the land. If you had a good vegtable garden and that book you could make a go of it. I remember that what the book really showed was how not to overthink it :idea: . Big diference in hunting and Gathering. If you had the freezer space and a game rich invirement you really could keep the freezers filled! J.Michael
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

From what I have heard, panic is the thing which kills most people. If you have some outdoors experience, then keep your head on straight and your chances go way up. Those books do look interesting, though. I like to read and the sound worthwhile.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Hmm. Took some of that there survival training in the service years ago. One thing I remember were these words of wisdom from an old NCO. "Go low, go slow and prefereably at night". Oh, and when you hear the aircraft, pop smoke, if you wait till you see it, it's too late. Then again, the idea at the time was not to be found until you wanted to be, and then by the folks you wanted to find you. I guess that's a bit different than being "lost" in the hills.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

check this out, smart, funny and good info.

Survival Beyond the 10 Essentials Training DVD. $25.50 ea. (includes shipping and handling.)
Survival Beyond the 10 Essentials Training DVD35 min. DVD; Gene Ward provides personal, hands-on instruction on how to: create some amazing survival shelters with materials that will fit in your back pocket; start fires successfully when weather conditions are at their absolute worst; make drinkable water in the desert without working up a sweat; use surgical tubing to make some ingenious hunting devices; bring your survival episode to fast ending with the most effective signaling device of the twentieth century; and much more. Click on Book picture to the left for larger picture and to preview DVD.
http://www.survivalandoutdoorsafety.com/
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hmm, my barista tells me that a venti white mocha, double stirred with whole milk is the survival drink for me. Is that in that Indian secrets book? Check the index would you?? :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

It's there, right next to the stump water.
NRA Life Member