Who is shooting their 25-35s?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dgr416 »

I keep wondering why this caliber is so mystical in the model 94 winchester.I had 5 of them and sold them all.I still have the 25-35 fever but want it in a better gun.I didnt like the new model 94 trails end.I want a xtr winchester converted to 25-35 or better 25-35 improved.The ammo and brass for the 25-35 is spotty at best,.I have about 8 boxes of ammo and no gun now.I was thinking of a contender barrel in 25-35 also.It is time for a new long range 25 caliber lever gun or better yet a awesome 6.5 mm lever gun for those awesome 160 ge round nose bullets.I think the 25-35 will surface again if the 94 makes production again.
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Post by nralover »

I would love to have one- seems like a decent caliber for whitetail...
LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverBar »

I'm looking for a .25-35 Winchester takedown, 26" octagon, full magazine.

I'd be shooting it if I had it.
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

I have one of the last Model 94AE’s in .25-35 and it is a fine shooting rifle.
I had a 24â€
Slim
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have a model 94 saddlering carbine in 25-35, has a lyman tang sight on it. Doesnt have hardly any finish left, has been rode pretty hard. I use it for prairie dogs with the 60 grain bullets, it really smokes 'em, anything this side of 125 yards is meat in the pan. I have some hotshot friends from Kali who come out and shoot pd's with me, they bring their fancy bench rest guns, first time I pulled it out they laughed but they dont do it now, they beg to shoot it. Lots of fun.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Do .25-36 Marlins count? :wink:
I shoot my 1893 Marlin takedown in .25-36 all the time, and I love it! I use .25-35 brass to reload, and just neck size so I get a lot of reloads from each case, since I'm not overworking the brass.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I have two carbines. One is a src made in 1921 and the other is an early post war made in '47. I have a 25/35 adapter so I can shoot 25 ACP's out of it. That baby is accurate too as it is nothin' to hit my 8" square 140 yd. gong with those little 50 gr. bullets. (when the wind ain't blowin') For regular shooting I use the 117 Hornady RN on top of 19 grains of IMR 4198 for about 2K. The 70 gr. fpgc Lyman is also very accurate with a dose of Unique.

I did have a beater full octagon rifle a few years ago but it would not shoot, so I moved it-------Sixgun

Image,

Image,

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

William, the 100 grain speer doesn't have crimp groove. You must have a case full of powder to keep the bullet from moving while in the magazine tube.

I was going to get my glenfield rebarreled to 25-35 AI last spring but my smith didn't want to do it. So I was planning on doing a 7-30 waters. But now I found a different smith that will do either.

So William what kind of velocity's are you getting out of your 25-35 AI with 100 gr and 117 gr bullets?

Also from what I've read the brass doesn't stretch as bad with the AI version.
gtaylor
Levergunner

Post by gtaylor »

I have one of the recent runs, case colored, octagon barrel. Couldn't be happier! The problems; Won't feed resized 30-30, or 60 grain bullets, but will fire them single shot. Trigger was a bit gritty, but a "Bunkhouse Trigger Job", ala Gunblast (thanks guys!!), and the trigger is very usable.

Scoped it for my dad to do load development, it shoots to darn good to take the scope off. I found a J4 and a set of rings, so it is "low profile". Using the hornady 117 grainers, 1" 3 shot groups were not hard to come by.

Someone posted that they could pull the stock back 3/4" on some they had owned, so I had to try it, but I got no shake out of it.

All in all, the "collectors" should love me, because my 25-35 with the tang safety and the rebounding hammer is getting shot, and carried, and beat up in the safe - Making theirs all the more valuable!!

So far, just varmints, but I have no fear of an antelope or deer in range. Heck, I've heard of a lot of elk falling to them, back in the day! The cartridge is the only centerfire my grandad owned, and there was meat at every meal at his table, from the stories I've heard.

The run must have brought some older winchesters out, because I have noticed that there is 25-35 ammo in most of the well stocked gun stores here in Northeastern Wyoming (it ain't near as cheap as big brother 30by, though). The day Midway had brass, it all got sucked up before I got home to order any, but Graf's sold me a couple sacks, and I found a couple sacks at a gunshow in Gillette this fall.

I have no doubt that with a little fiddling, I can get it to feed the resized 30-30's, but at this point in time I have no need to, as of yet?

I bought the gun for nostalgia, but I am using it because it is very useable. I hope that my kids will use it for the "first deer/antelope" rifle. And I have no doubt that one of them will proudly inherit it when my time comes!
Respectfully, Gordon
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Top one is a 25-35. Quite accurate! I like it. :)

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

GTaylor,
I am surprised you can chamber a reformed .30-30 at all without inside neck reaming or outside neck turning. In unreamed reformed .30-30 cases after firing my bullets were an iInterference fit. I had to inside ream the necks before I could use the .30-30 or .375 Winchester brass in either of my rifles. The brass is easy to make it just required the extra step.

I am using a case full of powder and a mild crimp. I adjust the type powder for the velocity I am looking for. I use powders slower than IMR 3031 starting with Hodgdon Benchmark. I try to use powders in the 4895 class or slower. As you would expect it is very hard to beat IMR 4320 for velocity and accuracy. Hodgdon Varget and Alliant Reloder 15 also give high velocity and excellent accuracy.

Dr.A started this thread on the Beartooth forum and we exchanged data for awhile until the .308 Marlin was announced and distracted me.

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm ... ght=.25-35

Here is the thread on the .25-35AI

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm ... t=.25-35ai
Slim
Jeff Pitts
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Jeff Pitts »

I have a 25-35 in a Winchester model 64 that has had a Williams receiver sight on it since I"ve had it. Kilt my first deer with it some 34 years ago..... :shock: It's a beautiful rifle that is easy to pack and has super low recoil. My Uncle killed 5 bull elk with it before he gave it to me for my 14th birthday.

Jeff
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

gtaylor wrote:I have one of the recent runs, case colored, octagon barrel. Couldn't be happier! The problems; Won't feed resized 30-30, or 60 grain bullets, but will fire them single shot.

I have no doubt that with a little fiddling, I can get it to feed the resized 30-30's, but at this point in time I have no need to, as of yet?
In order to use 30-30 brass for the 25-35, the base must sized down according to 25-35 dimensions. I have never had a problem with inside neck dimensions after reforming 30-30 brass, but I'm sure there would be a problem using the thicker 375 or larger 38-55 brass

In order to get a reformed 30-30 case to chamber in a half dozen 25-35's I have loaded for, I had to run the 30-30 case into the #2 forming die that was designed to make 219 Zippers from 30-30. I imagine you could do the same thing by spinning them on a drill or drill press to reduce the base diameter.

I had to do the above at a time when the only way to get 25-35 brass was to buy loaded ammo. I have since stocked up a half thou. of new brass for future needs. 25-35 brass also makes excellent 219 Zipper ammo as the base diameters are the same. I just run the 25-35 through a full length sizer and trim.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mine is a Contender Carbine. I've found it interesting that some folks ran down this cartridge but were talking up their 7mm TCUs. They are very similar ballistically. I like the .25-35. One can push light bullets (75 gr. and lighter) to over 2800 fps but the 117s are limited to about 2300 fps. This makes for big differences in trajectories and some folks have "fun" with their sights trying to switch back and forth between light/fast and "heavy"/slow loads.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Who is shooting their 25-35s?

Post by Slick13 »

dgr416 wrote:I keep wondering why this caliber is so mystical in the model 94 winchester.
Because it's fun? :wink:

I bought one of the new .25-35 carbines as my first levergun. It got me into reloading, it's nice to shoot (not too loud, and no recoil), I've shot a lot of groundhogs with it, and took my first deer with it this fall. Have only reloaded Hornady 117 gr. RN for it, but I have some 86 gr. Remingtons on the way from Midway. Gun like loads with BLC-2, RL15 and W760. Shoots well with AA2460, but with the peep sight cranked all the way down, it's still at least 6" high at 50 yards. Had similiar results with 4895.

She's my favorite rifle (not that I have that many), and I wouldn't trade her for anything.

~Michael
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dgr416 »

I have had 5 25-35s and plan to get another or build one.I was wondering about the contender carbine barrels in 25-35.I almost had a savage 1899 in a 25-35 but it slipped through my hands.I think if winchester makes a good hunting version again in the 25-35 it will sell.You need brass and ammo though.Yep I bet as high as they went $1200 for the regular ones and $1600 for the trails end octagon.I wish I could have gotten the Legacy 25-35 I missed by 10 mintutes it was only $775 and they made less than 50 of them in the round barrels.I also missed a 26 " heavy barrEl 25-35 for $250 that a guy was refinishing the stock.Live and learn.I have seen dug up 25-35s go for $600 on gunbroker.I missed a model 55 and model 64 in 25-35 wish I had gotten those.
Rafe Covington
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rafe Covington »

I don't have a lever gun in 25-35 [wish I did], I have a contender carbine. I really enjoy shooting my 25-35, shoot mostly 100 gr. bullets out of it. It is a caliber I like alot.
Death Before Dishonor
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

i have a 1912 SRC been shooting some Sellior and Belot metric (6.5X52 R ..i dont have a box nearby). In Michigan I could find .25-35 in most gunshops... in Oklahoma it's hard to find... 30-30 is almost hard to find here for that matter.

117 gr flatnose. No recoil and seems like a flat shooter. I'd like to see this one catch on again.

still looking for a good .38-55
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I have an 1894 made in 1915. Full Oct. bbl, full mag, Crescent BP. I tried so many loads with this rifle trying to make it shoot that I finally gave up. Bore was very good to excellent, rifle condition was very good. I took it to a couple of shows determined to trade into something else, but couldn't find anyone to give me more than $500 in trade...these were the same guys who had $1300 on 30-30's in half the condition on their tables :evil: I kept it around not doing anything with it for years, and finally decided to get more creative and try some stuff...

I ended up using 115gr Nosler Ballistic tips, 26.1 gr. of IMR-4064 and put a cannelure on the bullets, then clipped the plastic bullet tips off. Whoa...it shot like unbelievable!! That is by far the finickiest rifle I have ever owned, but now that I have the keys to her chastity belt, I think I'll keep her around :D

Ed
2row
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 2row »

I've got one of the newer ones I bought it just before Winchester went under have not shot it very much YET ordered a 6 cavidity 80 gr gc mold .I cast bullets for it last week its been too cold all week to get them sized an loaded but it will warm up one of thes days.so far I like the gun so who knows .
gtaylor
Levergunner

Post by gtaylor »

Sixgun wrote:
gtaylor wrote:I have one of the recent runs, case colored, octagon barrel. Couldn't be happier! The problems; Won't feed resized 30-30, or 60 grain bullets, but will fire them single shot.

In order to use 30-30 brass for the 25-35, the base must sized down according to 25-35 dimensions. I have never had a problem with inside neck dimensions after reforming 30-30 brass, but I'm sure there would be a problem using the thicker 375 or larger 38-55 brass

In order to get a reformed 30-30 case to chamber in a half dozen 25-35's I have loaded for, I had to run the 30-30 case into the #2 forming die that was designed to make 219 Zippers from 30-30. I imagine you could do the same thing by spinning them on a drill or drill press to reduce the base diameter.

I had to do the above at a time when the only way to get 25-35 brass was to buy loaded ammo. I have since stocked up a half thou. of new brass for future needs. 25-35 brass also makes excellent 219 Zipper ammo as the base diameters are the same. I just run the 25-35 through a full length sizer and trim.
I actually had no problem chambering the reformed 30-30 by hand, but something with the lifter and the cartridge guides kept it from feeding as smoothly as 25-35 Brass? The zipper absolutely loves brass reformed from 30-30, as does Grandads old 25-35, and my old beater 30-30 ackley will cycle 219's, 25-35's with both 60 and 117 grain bullets, and any 30-30's I have tried to feed it?

As I say, if the rifle didn't shoot so well, and if I didn't have 300 plus rounds of 25-35 brass, I would be investing a lot of time in the problem, but as it is, I am concentrating on other issues.

I bought some lead bullets to, but given the feed issue with the shorter 60 grainers, I haven't even tried them as of yet. Should make a wonderful cast shooter!
Respectfully, Gordon
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Gordon, yea, copy that. It sure is a fun game and we all need something on the "back burner" to keep us going.-Good luck----Sixgun

otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

I showed this one here at Leverguns about a year ago or more.
I really do need to shoot it again to continue testing it for my adult daughter.
Her late granddad left it to her about 4 years ago, but I haven't released it to her yet. :roll:

otteray
gtaylor
Levergunner

Post by gtaylor »

william iorg wrote:GTaylor,
I am surprised you can chamber a reformed .30-30 at all without inside neck reaming or outside neck turning. In unreamed reformed .30-30 cases after firing my bullets were an iInterference fit. I had to inside ream the necks before I could use the .30-30 or .375 Winchester brass in either of my rifles. The brass is easy to make it just required the extra step.
Slim-- I grabbed my reformed fired brass, and a box of hornady 117 grainers. Only one of a half dozen didn't allow the bullet to easily enter past the cannelure? Am I understanding your point correctly? As I said, right now it is on "Workhorse" status, with 25-35 brass, but I will revisit the reformed brass at some point, unless something funner comes along!!
Respectfully, Gordon
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

You checked the way I did. It is possible our dies reduce the case neck to a slightly different dimension or our .30-30 cases were a little different thickness – I used Remington cases and both RCBS and Lee dies.
The majority of the .25-35 cases I formed from .30-30 cases would not allow a bullet to slide freely into the neck and there was a small doughnut at the neck shoulder junction, the bullets were just barely an interference fit inside the neck. When I inside neck reamed the fire formed cases the reamer took a light cut on the inside of the neck and then a heavier cut at the base of the neck when it removed the doughnut. If I had the same slip fit you experienced I would not have bothered to ream my cases either. There is a lot of variation in brass and probably in die dimensions too.
Slim