Any 1911 fans here?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Any 1911 fans here?

Post by azmark »

I'm still tossing around ideas for what handgun I want next...how many of you here like 1911s and what do you consider them useful for?
Mark Dickinson
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Re: Any 1911 fans here?

Post by salvo »

I have an older Colt Series 70 Government Model, my wife bought it for me for a wedding gift 25 years ago, it's basically a range gun that I cherish.
I bought a Colt Officers Model and modified the brand new gun to my liking, this was right before Colt came out with the enhanced versions and there were not so many different 1911 makers out there at the time. I use it at the range and pack it around now and then. I must admit the Glock 27 and S&W 442 get most of the CCW duty though.

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Oh boy....you're gonna get a lot of talk on this subject! I think everyone on this forum loves 1911's almost as much as they love leverguns. I currently have 4. 3 Colt Series 80's in 45, 10mm, and 38 Super. For my go to gun it has to be the Super. Don't get me wrong, the 10mm Delta is the Cat's meow. Blued, sporting Esmerelda ivory wood grips,and adjustable sights, it is a beautiful and accurate handgun, but the slide pull is extreme...22 lbs. This doesn't make it the ideal carry piece in my opinion. The 45 is a nice handgun, but I find at this point that I'm not into plinking much with a 45. We're prepared to try some cast in the .45 and see how that pans out for fun. Now the .38 Super is just the ticket. It makes a nice carry piece, is up there with a .357, and will do anything that the .357 or .38 special will do in a nice package. It is also the most accurate of them all, but I am comfortable with it which makes a difference. The 4th I just picked up, and is a WWII vintage frame with a 22 conversion kit on it. It is very particular as to what nose profile the ammo is, but is flawless for the most part. Nice piece all in all.

Top to Bottom: 45, .38 Super, 10mm, .22

Ed

Last edited by Kansas Ed on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

+1 for the .38 Super. Been carrying the same beat up Combat Commander since '68. A never fail gun, all the way. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Love 'em ! -- i recently acquired a couple of "budget" 1911's and have had some serious fun with them --- the Springfield GI actually has some accuracy potential --- it just needs better sights ---- The little RIA i envisioned using as a CCW piece after i get at least 250 rounds through it to satisfy my need to know that it will go bang every time all the time.

I kind of went nuts ---- now i have the dies, and at least 2k of once fired brass to reload (not mine -- i bought some range brass) all it took was 2 or 3 magazines full of FMJ in the black at 20 yards to make me a fan !

----- Doug
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

Would a .45 ACP 1911 be a viable 'farm gun'? Seems like it's been around long enough to have been used for just about everything.
Mark Dickinson
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

I don't know about a GI model...are the sights as poor as I've heard?
Mark Dickinson
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Streetstar wrote:Image
Oh, that's my favorite right there. Those no thrills packerized/walnut ones drive me nuts.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I only have one currently. It started life as a Springfield Mil-Spec gun. Over the course of several months I added a beavertail grip safety, Wilson Match grade barrel and bushing along with numerous other upgrades. I probably would have been money ahead to just buy what I wanted in the first place, but I enjoyed doing the work on mine.

Before my upgrades, it would just keep all it's shots on a paper plate at 25 yards. Now with the right loads it's darn near a one holer.

NRA Life Member
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

SHOW OR TELL ME AGAIN WHERE THE LEVER IS ON THESE GUNS, BOYS....
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Can't stand 'em :D
I sold the Delta recently. It had belonged to a good friend that passed away
and really bummed out having it around.

Started shooting my Dad's 1911a1 around 9 or ten. That and his
Colt Officers Model Match .38Spl.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Terry Murbach wrote:SHOW OR TELL ME AGAIN WHERE THE LEVER IS ON THESE GUNS, BOYS....
Left side, just above the trigger guard. It releases the slide... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

azmark wrote:I don't know about a GI model...are the sights as poor as I've heard?
They're not bad at the shooting range if they can be drifted to POA --- they are small and out of the way -- but i can see their limitations for night time self defense type use. Mine were right on the mark for elevation and i just had to move the rear sight to the right a smidge.

I seriously doubt i will change anything about my GI model, because to me, it looks "done" --- i love the period-correct look. I made a deal with the wife to buy me a Gold Cup if i can lose 50 pounds though --- so if and when that happens, i will be able to tinker with some more high end sights then (kinda like dangling a carrot in front of a donkey)

My only complaint is having to round up your brass at the end of a shooting string ----- i am not used to semi-autos in that regard. I usually shoot 3 magazine fulls --- then bend and stoop, then shoot 3 more and repeat ------ keeps the brass loss to a minimum
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

azmark wrote:Would a .45 ACP 1911 be a viable 'farm gun'? Seems like it's been around long enough to have been used for just about everything.
Sure ! as long as you know your limitations with it. I use a .45 Colt with cowboy action spec ammo as my "farm gun" -- which is 700-750 fps --- i think the .45 ACP can pretty easilly match that and would be alright for picking off a wayward skunk or possum if need be
----- Doug
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

azmark wrote:I'm still tossing around ideas for what handgun I want next...how many of you here like 1911s and what do you consider them useful for?

They maybe a little low powered for hunting, but I have taken deer and wild dogs with one. They are of course used about as much or more then any other handgun for IPSC, Bullseye, and IDPA in certain divisions.

A good proven 1911 is my first choice for a personal defense or concealed carry weapon. My oldest one, has also served as my bedside home defense gun for at least a quarter of a century now.

They're a fine gun, but there are many pitfalls that can catch a newby or sometimes even an old hand, when buying one. Be careful of the lower priced junk, and be cautious when buying a used one that has been heavly modified. Probably more home gunsmithing has been done on the 1911 then just about any other handgun. That's not always bad, as long as the work was done by someone who knew what they were doing, and chose repacement parts wisely. There are plenty of junk parts for sale, both new and used. Sometimes it can be an expensive education.

For your first 1911 get a good solid unmessed with 5 inch gun, by a top line manufacturer, and even then you might have to replace the magazine with a top quality aftermarket one, to get it to run 100%. If you are not lefthanded, you don't need an ambi-safety, and hardly anyone needs an extended mag release button or extended slide release lever either. Now, good sights are another story, and you will probably want a good set of high visibility fixed or adjustable sights. I have always liked Bomars, but there are others.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

azmark wrote:Would a .45 ACP 1911 be a viable 'farm gun'? Seems like it's been around long enough to have been used for just about everything.
They're ok for a farm gun, except for one glaring fault, as with any automatic, and that is finding spent brass. If you decide to fire it, on the farm, and that brass gets into the weeds, leaves, grass, etc. kiss at least 50% or everything you fire goodby. I have carried one on the farm a lot, but if I really intend to do some shooting away from a clean area, where I can't find my brass, I usually choose a revolver.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

azmark wrote:I don't know about a GI model...are the sights as poor as I've heard?
For competition, yes, they're not that great, but for plain old self-defense, at close range, they can work fine, And if well regulated, can still be shot better then you might thing even at long range, but they probably are slower to get a fast sight picture then a good set of high visiability sights would be.

I keep a Springfield 4 inch lightweight mils-spec 1911 with the factory GI sights, and it shoots just fine for what I want it for. On this particular weapon, I prefer the GI sights, because I sometimes want to be able to carry mexican style, that is stuck in my belt, without a holster. Sometimes when I am traveling, it's just eaiser that way, and I can take it out, or put it in my belt without fooling with a holster of any kind, and those GI sights won't snag on anything, but most any other sight will. When I carry like this, it's usually condition 3, which is faster then many would think, to get into action, and I am not that paranoid, anyway,
NRA Life Member, Patron
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I like 'em, use them for a home defense pistol and carry around the farm quite a bit, my favorite was a 70 series Colt that I had Bill Wilson do some work on back in the late '70s or early '80s. My boys favorite too, so I presented it to him for Christmas a couple of years ago. Only one I own now is a Kimber Pro CDP, a commander sized gun, rascal shoots to point of aim and is very accurate. It has not malfunctioned thus far.

I feel kinda lost though without a 5" gun, so I'm looking for another. Anyone had any experience with Para's new GI Expert model, it looks to be just what I'd want in a 1911.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

awp101 wrote:
Terry Murbach wrote:SHOW OR TELL ME AGAIN WHERE THE LEVER IS ON THESE GUNS, BOYS....
Left side, just above the trigger guard. It releases the slide... :lol:

Heck, mine's got three levers on it. Two on the left side and one on the right! I ain't never seen a Mod 92 with three levers. :lol:
NRA Life Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

1969 Commander

1991A1 and Combat Commander (you might notice that I like SA revolvers, too.)
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

nope they are terrible :lol: :lol: the rounds just bounce off everything

DAV life member.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Like others here, if it is not a SAA, the next best thing in the world (of handguns) is a 1911. My Para P-12 is my "go-to" CCW gun. Something about being able to throw a lot of "flying ashtrays" from a small package! :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yes - they are indestructable (even the pretty ones :lol: ), they don't get messed up with debris if stuck in pockets or dropped in dirt, and my old 'beater' one that is a GENERIC (AMT from the 1970's) still hits the 8" gong at 100 yards 5 of 7 times (probably 7 of 7 if I were a better shot), and never has jammed with any of the five thousand or so factory or reloads I've fed it.

Note that it is a 'generic' - I didn't buy a fancy nice one I wouldn't want to bang up, and I didn't need a 'race' gun. I've owned several others (Colt, Kimber, etc.) over the years and although prettier than the old beat-up AMT, none were as reliable, and all cost so darned much I didn't like just slipping them in the Carhart's pocket or accidentally poking them in the dirt while weeding the tomatoes. (One of my friends out visiting happens to be a 1911 afficionado and owns probably a dozen really high-end ones, and just about soiled his drawers when my AMT fell out of my Carharts onto limestone gravel and I just picked it up and put it back in my pocket without even glancing to see if it was 'damaged'. :shock: ) Later I noticed that the dent in the slide was where an adjustable sight would have been, and was glad I had the ordinary ones.

I finally settled on a Para P-14 for my 'other' one and it looks just as ugly (the old black-painted slide vintage), but functions with every ammo so far. I think that for me the secret of reliable function has been just to SHOOT the thing, and SHOOT it alot. Maybe if I'd shot the Kimber or Colt's more often (they were too valuable and pretty to take out and drop on gravel :oops: ) they'd have done just as well. Anyway, the AMT gets smoother and more reliable with age; I know you're supposed to replace the spring at some point, but I'm not sure I want to change anything since it still goes 'bang' with utmost reliability.

If I were interested in a 'match' gun or 'collector' gun for investment, or a 'race' gun or some sort of ultra-carry piece, I'd get a fancy brand and tune it up, but even then I'm still not sure exactly WHAT it would do - that I need done, that my old 'beater' AMT doesn't already do... :?:
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

For a defensive pistol I love the 1911 platform. Don't use it for hunting as I have other guns for that. I've carried one on duty for many a year. When I started carrying there weren't the options there are now so I carried a Colt Gov. Model with a Colt Officer's Model as my UC piece or when doing surveillance. The 45 ACP is the only round I've ever used in the 1911.

I now carry a Les Baer in, what else, 45 ACP. It's a Premier II, chrome moly frame and slide that's been hard chromed. It has Les Baer's adjustable night sights that are like Bomars. It has the 1.5" guarantee at 50 yds.

Here's the Les Baer.

I don't have a pic of my Officer's Model. I'll try and get one this week.
Old Law Dawg
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

AJMD429 wrote:
Yes - they are indestructable (even the pretty ones), they don't get messed up with debris if stuck in pockets or dropped in dirt, and my old 'beater' one that is a GENERIC (AMT from the 1970's) still hits the 8" gong at 100 yards 5 of 7 times (probably 7 of 7 if I were a better shot), and never jams with any of the five thousand or so factory or reloads I've fed it.

Note that it is a 'generic' - I didn't buy a fancy nice one I wouldn't want to bang up, and I didn't need a 'race' gun. I've owned several others (Colt, Kimber, etc.) over the years and although prettier than the old beat-up AMT, none were as reliable, and all cost so darned much I didn't like just slipping them in the Carhart's pocket or accidentally poking them in the dirt while weeding the tomatoes. (One of my friends out visiting happens to be a 1911 afficionado and owns probably a dozen really high-end ones, and just about soiled his drawers when my AMT fell out of my Carharts onto limestone gravel and I just picked it up and put it back in my pocket without even glancing to see if it was 'damaged'. :shock: )
What kind of sights does your old 'beater' have on it? It sounds like you're a very good marksman. Is it unusual to be able to shoot a 1911 like that?
Mark Dickinson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Streetstar wrote: My only complaint is having to round up your brass at the end of a shooting string ----- i am not used to semi-autos in that regard. I usually shoot 3 magazine fulls --- then bend and stoop, then shoot 3 more and repeat ------ keeps the brass loss to a minimum
They do make slip-on brass catchers for the stock 1911's, but they change the balance a bit. I've used mine at a public range a time or two if shooting new factory brass I don't want to lose any of.

For 'farm' use I stoke it with old-brass plain lead reloads, with a couple factory HP's down further in the magazine. That way I won't care if I lose a case taking a pot shot at a coyote or just a tin can that needs ventilated.

If you do your TARGET shooting in the same place, a simple 'stand' which holds a piece of cloth (like a 'curtain') about where the casings fly, can be of use. We made one of PVC and hung a sheet up which helped when shooting Garands or Mini-14's, as well as semiauto pistols.

At the range house, one thing we did was put up 1/4" mesh hardware cloth from the bench height to the ceiling, all on the right hand side and a bit of the right end of the front side; it catches nearly all the brass and bounces it onto the wood floor. Saves lots of hunting for brass.
azmark wrote:What kind of sights does your old 'beater' have on it? It sounds like you're a very good marksman. Is it unusual to be able to shoot a 1911 like that?
Just a square post and square notch "Patridge" - the sights are a bit taller than some of the new 'CCW' style ones. No 'dots' or anything. I am perhaps a 'decent' pistol shot except with things that recoil alot (.454 Casulls make me FLINCH! :oops: :lol: ), but by no means a 'very good' marksman. Geometrically, 8" at 100 yards would be 2" at 25 yards, and I'll bet lots of .45 users get 5 of 7 in 2" at 25 yards even on a bad day (see txpete's post above - that's LOTS more than 7 shots..!). Plus, with any gun you shoot alot, you get pretty good. I can hit the same gong with about the same frequency with a .22LR Ruger pistol, but only about half as often with any kind of revolver, including several which my friends can shoot very accurately, so I know it's ME missing, and not the revolvers... :oops:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Got a 1997 Colt 1991A1 Government.
Love it!
Always wanted a Colt Delta Elite----which is a modified 1991A1 in (10mm)
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I'll be the wet blanket.

If you have a 1911 you like, and is one of those "It ALWAYS works" guns, don't let me touch it. I've owned about 8, mostly older Colts, and every one has choked at some time. One, a Springfield GI, mysteriously became a jam-a-matic after 500 rounds of perfect performance. That one my gunsmith couldnt figure out.

I've shot many thousands of rounds through 1911's, but have never ever been able to shoot them as well as a Smith revolver, or Ruger SA, even on steel plate shoots. So long as reload speed isnt the main critria, I'd take a revolver for any purpose. More mechanically accurate in my experience, able to use a wide variety of loads, much better shootability. I was never able to make hits on objects thrown in the air, or on running small game with an auto, but with a revolver, it isnt that tough. Revolvers have been vastly more reliable for me also. I'll take a Smith 29, or 19, or a Ruger SA 45 for any purpose. I consider autos to be interesting, but not important. YMMV

After shooting game with 45 ball ammo, compared to Keith type bullets in various rounds, I'm stunningly underwhelmed at the terminal performance of RN bullets. Keith mentioned squirrels running off after body hits with ball ammo in 45 autos, that's about my experience with it also.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

Keith mentioned squirrels running off after body hits with ball ammo in 45 autos, that's about my experience with it also.

:lol: :lol: :lol: must have been texas squirrels as keith was "never" known to be windy.

pete
DAV life member.
uncowboy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by uncowboy »

The safety is the lever!
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I carry my PT1911 every day. I've owned quite a few autoloaders, some reliable, some not so much. This one seems pretty good when it has good magazines. There are few other weapons that feel as good to the hand as the 1911.

Malamute, I have a friend that is like you. Never had an auto pistol that he could shoot but he shoots revolvers like a house-a-fire. He can't even shoot a 22 auto without it jamming on him nearly every round. I'd let him shoot one of mine that never jammed with me shooting it but give it to him and it's a jammomatic. He bought one of the wondernines back in the 80s and it just wouldn't work for him. I'd pick it up and run 2 mags through it without a bobble, hand it back and it's stoved up after the first shot. I'd watch him to see if he was doing something wrong(limp wristing or such) but I never did figure the why of that. He traded it for a 4" S&W 41mag and has been happy since.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I haven't had terrible luck with autos, other than that one Springfield, but a couple failures per 1000 rounds is far more failures than any revolver I've used. That rate is acceptable to many, but any perceived benefits of an auto to me don't outweigh that difference. Everyone has to decide what their priorities are. Mine are reliabilty, shootability, power, accuracy. I havent found those to be the strongest points of any auto I've used compared to the other choices I mentioned. Like I said, YMMV.

The terminal effect is very noticable comparing RN bullets to decent hollow points or wide flat point or Keith type swc's. With RN bullets, even in 45 cal, I've had jackrabbits take off, not very fast, but they certainly werent "anchored" with a body hit. Coyotes shot with both bullet types give very different results. RN hits, they react, but not violently. Hits with Keith bullets look like a coyote was hit with a baseball bat. If you like the auto, I'd just suggest a better bullet type than a RN. Autopsying the different loads show a difference. RN makes fairly clean holes, SWC's make bloodshot bruised holes. Jim Cirrilo, in his book "Guns, bullets and gunfights" said that in talking to Forensics types that did autopsies on people, that they couldnt tell the difference between wounds made with a 32, 38, or 45's when RN bullets were used.

The reason I mention this in relation to the 1911 thread is most people relate the ball ammo with the gun, and its legendary "stopping power". I feel there are much better bullet choices than RN ball.

I don't mean to sound anti-1911 either (I do have one), just keep things in perspective. They aren't perfect, like any other object made by man. Some folks seem to have an emotional reaction if anyone doesnt agree with their opinion on their "favorite" gun (truck, dog, etc). I don't have that issue. I find it mildly amusing when people get worked up when someone doesn't share their opinion of something. For my uses, there are better choices is all I'm saying.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

DAV life member.
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

So you guys would feel comfortable with your ability to hit a skunk, a yote, bobcat or other such varmint with your mil spec sights, say with a Springfield GI model or similar?

They do make shotshells, so rattlers could be dealt with that way I suppose. Might be kinda loud in the barn for mice, though :lol:
Mark Dickinson
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

anything bigger than a mountain dew can is in serious trouble.
pete
DAV life member.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

azmark wrote:Might be kinda loud in the barn for mice, though :lol:
With proper shot placement the mice won't care... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

I hear that people shoot LSWCs out of their 1911s; that would be better than ball ammo, wouldn't it?
Mark Dickinson
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've gone through thousands of LSWCs with 1911s.
Knocked off a pile of wood chucks, raccoons etc.
Favorite target/ varmint load is 185 gr LSWC and 3.8 gr. Bullseye.
Just enough to cycle the action reliably ( at least in my Combat Elite)
and not much noise.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

azmark wrote:So you guys would feel comfortable with your ability to hit a skunk, a yote, bobcat or other such varmint with your mil spec sights, say with a Springfield GI model or similar?

They do make shotshells, so rattlers could be dealt with that way I suppose. Might be kinda loud in the barn for mice, though :lol:

I can with mine --- i hope i am not setting myself up for too much ridicule by posting my 20 yard offhand target, as i know there are some fine shots who frequent this board ---- but i will freely admit to being a pretty poor pistolero and the 1911 is the first semi-auto i picked up that i could reliably hit things with. I wouldnt say this is good enough accuracy to reliably hit a mouse everytime at 20, but it will sure scare the heck out of them ! :lol:

----- Doug
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

azmark wrote:So you guys would feel comfortable with your ability to hit a skunk, a yote, bobcat or other such varmint with your mil spec sights, say with a Springfield GI model or similar?

Get good sights, the military standard are a bit small and harder to pick up fast. That said, if you're a good pistol shot they'll work, but better is better and not that much more $ at purchase time. In other words, you can usually buy better sights on the pistol cheaper than buying them separate, then upgrading.

Those shotshells won't function the action unless they've come up with some new ones that I haven't heard about. That's not just 1911s, I've never even heard of an auto that would.

As far as SWC goes, if your gun feeds them, they're something to try but some guns won't feed them, even if they feed everything else. There's no real way to know unless you try it. I haven't shot a lot of them in my Taurus and it does feed them good, but accurate, not so much. Worst grouping I ever had with that pistol and nothing I did tweeking the load seemed to improve it. I've had much better luck with cast RN as far as accuracy goes with my gun(2" @ 25yards).

Malamute, I guess you aren't like my friend as much as I thought. It's probably just as well, too many like him and they'd quit making autoloading handguns altogether :wink: :lol: .
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
hammerman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hammerman »

I've got the Kimber Warrior and Desert Warrior model 1911's. Both are great guns and shoot better than I can. I really like the novak type night sights on them too. My wife wanted a 45 for Valentine's Day a couple of years ago and she recieved a Kimber Royal. That's the best Valentine's day gift I've ever given, and I'm glad I did becasue it prevented 2 crimes when I wasn't home.

PS-I didn't see anyone with a Kimber posted on here yet, so I thought I'd share.
Only Winchester levers, one custom 356 top eject bigbore
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Have not been without one in some form or another since 1973.....it was the first centerfire handgun I ever fired (boot camp USN). Carried one a many an hour while on quarterdeck watch, security detail or SP. My present baby is a like new 1911A1 Series 70 Colt given to me by my younger brother. Still my most comfortable handgun. Last year when I re-qualified for my CHL I took my sons Glock 19 which probably hadn't been cleaned in 1000 rounds. (ammo is cheaper than 45 ACP).....a fellow re-qualified with a 1911 without a front sight...he shot a perfect score...his only handgun. If I'm down to one it would be tough to choose between my Colt SAA, 1911A1 or my first handgun purchase a Model 17 Smith. If I was going to war the 1911A1 would be my first choice of anything offered today...

jumbeaux
longhair1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longhair1957 »

I like them long and short and everything in between!

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Streetstar wrote: I can with mine --- i hope i am not setting myself up for too much ridicule by posting my 20 yard offhand target, as i know there are some fine shots who frequent this board ---- but i will freely admit to being a pretty poor pistolero and the 1911 is the first semi-auto i picked up that i could reliably hit things with. I wouldnt say this is good enough accuracy to reliably hit a mouse everytime at 20, but it will sure scare the heck out of them ! :lol:

I think your problem is that you've been shooting the target upside-down... :o :lol:
Actually, that's perfectly good shooting to get rid of barnyard vermin - it isn't like you're needing to shoot a running grainrat at 75 yards!

Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

It is a great ccw handgun and one of the best designs erver invented.

"If it isn't a COLT, it's just a copy"!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

azmark wrote:I'm still tossing around ideas for what handgun I want next...how many of you here like 1911s and what do you consider them useful for?
I ain't even gonna read what anyone else has said...

The JM Browning 1911 designed semi-auto handgun is the EPITOME of American handgun development! A shorter list would be what it ISN'T good for!

Most issues anyone has with the 1911 is due to poor magazine manufacture or maintenance, or due to poor handling on the part of the operator.

I have 3... a National Match Gold Cup, a GI issue and a Combat Commander (80 Series). All three shoot as well as I can, feed most everything I can manufacture (after a little ramp and polishing work), and are as reliable as a revolver.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I never felt under gunned with one on my hip.that said I couldn't say the same thing when I got issued the M-9.
DAV life member.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Yup. Even with crappy GI sights, I can reliably hit the 100 yard gong.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

jumbeaux wrote:Have not been without one in some form or another since 1973.....it was the first centerfire handgun I ever fired (boot camp USN). Carried one a many an hour while on quarterdeck watch, security detail or SP. My present baby is a like new 1911A1 Series 70 Colt given to me by my younger brother. Still my most comfortable handgun. Last year when I re-qualified for my CHL I took my sons Glock 19 which probably hadn't been cleaned in 1000 rounds. (ammo is cheaper than 45 ACP).....a fellow re-qualified with a 1911 without a front sight...he shot a perfect score...his only handgun. If I'm down to one it would be tough to choose between my Colt SAA, 1911A1 or my first handgun purchase a Model 17 Smith. If I was going to war the 1911A1 would be my first choice of anything offered today...

jumbeaux
Try a Sig 220. Great gun, super tough, and....... no silly safety!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

txpete wrote:I never felt under gunned with one on my hip.that said I couldn't say the same thing when I got issued the M-9.
I'd bet a lot of old soldiers said some things when issued an M-9, and it wasn't "thanks!".
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer