Looking for a smith in Tucson that knows Colt DAs

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scrateshooter
Levergunner

Looking for a smith in Tucson that knows Colt DAs

Post by Scrateshooter »

I have Colt Lawman Mk III and a Colt King Cobra that have identical movement in the cylinders. They don't have the "bank vault lock up" Grandpa, do you know any?
"Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand." Revelation 1:3
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Re: Looking for a smith in Tucson that knows Colt DAs

Post by Mike Hunter »

Colt changed the lock-up on their later revolvers. The very early Troopers and Pythons had a "two hand" locking mechinism, Basically a hand with two steps on it, one to turn the cylinder, the other to hold the cylinder once the bolt engages.

Colt changed this on their later revolvers, mostly due to the costly fitting of the cylinders and hand. The Python is the last Colt DA that used this method.

Mike
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Sorry grandson, but I don't know of any around you. Talk to Mike Hunter I know that he does good work. If you have to send them off he would tell you straight.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I could ask my guys, no telling if they would do it or not, you are in state; that's a plus.
Grandfather & grandson on the forum, how cool is that?
Scrateshooter
Levergunner

Post by Scrateshooter »

Thanks Grandpa and guys. I believe Mike Hunter, his sage advice makes sense. The cylinders in both guns have similar movement in lockup. I have not shot the King Cobra in 10 years, it worked fine then. I got it off a fellow Marine for $100 and a Remington Model 48 shotgun. He had taken it apart and lost the spring in the screw that holds the crane on, he also bent the ejector rod, $20 worth of parts in 1998. The Lawman shoots fine as well, I bought it in 2007. I just want to make sure they are in decent working order before all the good Colt revolver smiths go on to the big gunshow. JerryB's great grandchildren might not be able to get them fixed in the future.
"Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand." Revelation 1:3