I find the lack of low pressure chamberings aggrevating

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

I find the lack of low pressure chamberings aggrevating

Post by Jason_W »

My Wife's .270 just isn't working out for her so we put it up for sale. I could tell from the first range session that she just wasn't liking it, even with reduced recoil loads. I can't blame her as I find the '06 class of cartridge unpleasant as well. It's odd, I would rather fire a stout 45/70 load than a full power .270 or 30-06 load. It's hard to explain, but it's as if the high pressure rounds add a kind of grating, sharp edge to the shooting experience. But that's just my opinion.

Back to the topic at hand: I'm noticing that there are relatively few manufacturers (other than levergun makers) who chamber low pressure rounds in the 30-30 class. I know this is a levergun forum, so we can't fathom that some people don't like them, but my wife just doesn't find them comfortable. Blasphemy!! (but at least she's into shooting and hunting) :D

I guess the only options are a TC, H&R or old savage 340 if I can find one reasonably priced.

*rant off*
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I find the lack of low pressure chamberings aggrevating

Post by mescalero1 »

Has she tried a 6.5x55mm bolt gun?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

A .243 or 25-35 or 250 Savage is about where you should be. Does you wife want to shoot or do you want her to shoot?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

mescalero1 wrote:Has she tried a 6.5x55mm bolt gun?
No. I honestly think it's the sound (even with good hearing protection on) that intimidates her a bit. Others here probably disagree, but i feel that sound can be felt as much as heard and the sharp crack of a high pressure round is a completely different feeling than the dull boom of the older rounds.

I personally would rather fire a 30-30 than a .243 or even .223.

My goal is to find her a gun that she really loves to shoot so that it's fun for her again. I'm thinking that a TC Contender in .30-30 might be a good bet.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Old Savage wrote:Does you wife want to shoot or do you want her to shoot?
I asked her that and she's assured me she wants to shoot and hunt. She's not the kind of woman who would pretend to like something just because I do. I know because she refuses to ever go ice fishing ever again :D
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Please don't take this the wrong way Jason, but IMHO you started her out with too much gun, and now she's "gun shy" - and you're going to have your work cut out for you, getting her cured.

I've had success with it only by starting the woman or child over with a very low-impact gun, like a .22, and very gradually work back up in baby steps to something like the .250 Savage, as suggested.

If she's short-cut, right to the .250, w/o the baby steps - I can just about guarantee she won't be able to deal with even it.

BTDT - NTS.

Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

It does seem like a lot of cartridges are over powerful for hunting at ranges not past 200 yards on game no bigger than deer. The 243 is a good round without a lot of recoil. I have had good success using it on deer in the past. An 11 year boy I know has a Handi Rifle in 243 and he is a deer and hog slayer.
The 7-08 is a very good hunting round without a lot of recoil. I know someone who has a Remington 7-08 and it has a recoil pad from the factory and it is a creampuff to shoot.
I played around with 130 grain bullets in the 30-30 and was surprised how little recoil they had. Now is a good time to look for used rifles since it isn't hunting season.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Jason_W wrote:
mescalero1 wrote:Has she tried a 6.5x55mm bolt gun?
No. I honestly think it's the sound (even with good hearing protection on) that intimidates her a bit. Others here probably disagree, but i feel that sound can be felt as much as heard and the sharp crack of a high pressure round is a completely different feeling than the dull boom of the older rounds.

I personally would rather fire a 30-30 than a .243 or even .223.

My goal is to find her a gun that she really loves to shoot so that it's fun for her again. I'm thinking that a TC Contender in .30-30 might be a good bet.
I ABSOLUTELY feel the sound is a factor. Even though I don't mind physical recoil in a long gun (never fired an 'African' gun) I dislike the AR's, especially with "compensators" vs. the "flash suppressors" because they are SO noisy.

Ruger is coming out with their Ruger 77/44 bolt gun (again) in .44 Mag, and THAT should be a gem, unless she plans to hunt HUGE or aggressive game. Hard to beat that cartridge for versatility. It isn't a "flat" shooter, but none of the low-pressure rounds really are, and unless she wants to hunt game over 200 yards away (and isn't willing to learn to range and aim accordingly), the .44 Mag is fine. (I've killed all my dozen or thereabouts whitetail deer with a .44 Mag bullet fired from something; either a .44 pistol, .44 levergun, .44 saboted in 12 gauge, or .44 saboted in .50 Muzzleloader.)

There are also LOTS of bolt guns in the 6mm and .243 class, (and even a few .30-30 bolt guns), that are easier on the ears and shoulder than the .270, but if she's wanting to hunt, and you want something to 'test' her with, consider a breakopen - less dollars, more versatility. If she really warms up to a certain cartridge in a breakopen, then search for (or have built) a bolt gun in that round.

An H&R Handi will set you back less than the cost of most Encore barrels, although if you expect to add several, you could be better off with an Encore and several interchangeable barrels (IMHO the Encore is a better gun than the Handi). Get an H&R in .44 Mag, for instance. Factory loads are fine, and whitetail-lethal out to 150 yards. If you want, go for something like a .35 Remington or even .444 Marlin or .45-70 in a Handi (or Encore), and just handload them light for the latter two until she gets to where she likes recoil.

Consider plugs AND muffs, too - kind of a pain, but super sound reduction. I use Howard Leight or Peltor electronic ones over cheap wad-up foam earplugs for really noisy stuff. The amplification of the electronic ones helps me hear the sounds I want to hear (even with the foam plugs) but the combination totally wipes out gunshot noise.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Pete44ru wrote:Please don't take this the wrong way Jason, but IMHO you started her out with too much gun,

Lol. Like I had any real say in the matter :D That was the gun she liked the most at the time, and that was that.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Send her out and I will show her the simple secrets to handling recoil. :wink:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I don't know what kind of hunting you are doing but if you are stand hunting for deer, I'd go with a nice .357 Mag levergun with a scope. It will do all that needs to be done and doesn't have much recoil at all. Muzzle blast is minimal as well.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

O.S.O.K. wrote:I don't know what kind of hunting you are doing but if you are stand hunting for deer, I'd go with a nice .357 Mag levergun with a scope. It will do all that needs to be done and doesn't have much recoil at all. Muzzle blast is minimal as well.

+1 or a 30-30 load it light and it will still lay them out.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

OSOK is right on. And, that will be part of out training and let's not forget my trusted sidekick Mescalero will be right there.
Last edited by Old Savage on Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

There are lots of intermediate cartridges that would work for her as well as the cartridges mentioned. The 300 savage my wife shoots is an example. It's not a no kick rifle but it is less than 308. If she's into bolt actions, there are some "pretty" bolt guns in 7.62X39 out there that are ballisticly the same as the 30-30.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

O.S.O.K. wrote:I don't know what kind of hunting you are doing but if you are stand hunting for deer, I'd go with a nice .357 Mag levergun with a scope. It will do all that needs to be done and doesn't have much recoil at all. Muzzle blast is minimal as well.
Funny you should mention that.

The gun she absolutely loves shooting is my GP-100. I brought up the possibility of getting another one with a 6" bbl, and having it fitted with an optical sight. It would be fine for the ranges at which most Vermont deer are taken (under 50 yards). She's not keen on that idea for some reason.
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

Jason,

I have a 270 load that is pretty much a 30/30 equivalent if you hand load. Very accurate. I shoot it out of my Ruger #1 .270 winchester using 150 grain round nose bullets (cuz I got a ton of them) I have not clocked it but it probably runs at 2000fps or less. PM me if you want the load, it's not quite a "Published" load or I would post it here.

Might save you from having to take a loss on the .270 you have up for sale.
regards

3T
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

We will move right up the line. Soon she will be teaching you to shoot that nasty 30-06.

Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Good advice here. Thanks, guys.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Load 13 grains of Unique under a 405-425 grain cast bullet in the 45/70. She'll love it.
The 357 in a lever is a dandy. Get the 16" version.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Jason,
I would suggest a 30-06 with 180 to 200 gr cast bullets.
You can shoot 30-30 class or a little more with very little muzzle blast.
There are several good outfits that will sell a hundred cast bullets for not too much money.
The lighter powder charges normally used with cast bullets keep the noise down to very reasonable levels.

Jack
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

OK,
I am going to go WAY out on a limb here...............................
And the problem is we are talking about other men's wives.
Sound is a factor.
More of a factor is female anatomy.
Most women go shooting and wear the Bra's they wear everyday.
Bad move!
If they are going to shoot they should wear a sports bra, or no bra!
Every womens bra has a adjustment device, in the shoulder area EXACTLY where the recoil of the rifle delivers it's maximum effect, this adjustment device is made of metal or hard plastic. The recoil of the rifle DRIVES this thing into thier shoulder, causing GREAT discomfort.
Choose a low recoiling rifle, pay attention to thier attire, and you will find the ladies will outshoot you. Can you handle it?
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

mescalero1 wrote:OK,
Sound is a factor.
Bad move!
Every womens bra has a adjustment device, in the shoulder area EXACTLY where the recoil of the rifle delivers it's maximum effect, this adjustment device is made of metal or hard plastic. The recoil of the rifle DRIVES this thing into thier shoulder, causing GREAT discomfort.
Choose a low recoiling rifle, pay attention to thier attire, and you will find the ladies will outshoot you. Can you handle it?
Never thought of that.

The other factor is that most of us here have been shooting and hunting since childhood. My wife has only been into it for a couple of years. Things that are second nature to us, may be intimidating to a newbie. I think this has been my biggest failing up to now.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ah, my trusty sidekick with a secret already. 8)

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I fell of the turnip truck, but it was not yesterday.........................
It was the day before!!!!!!!! :lol:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You show a good consideration of women's anatomy. :D A sensitive male no doubt.

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

And I thought we were friends!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

mescalero1 wrote:OK,
Sound is a factor.
Bad move!
I did a survey tonight and all the bras I checked had the adjusters in the back. :shock:
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Savage wrote:You show a good consideration of women's anatomy. :D A sensitive male no doubt.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Tycer, really?
All the ones I see are in front,are you sure you have dentified the machanical devices?
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Old Savage wrote:Send her out and I will show her the simple secrets to handling recoil. :wink:
Don't do it Jason...

What about using a faster powder (that inherently makes a lighter load), maybe what she doesn't like about the 30-06 and 270 is that agressive push, as opposed to a nice quick smack.

Another idea is the Pachyderm pad, makes an easy gun out of everything, including my 5 lb Pardner 12 gauge.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

mescalero1 wrote:Tycer, really?
All the ones I see are in front,are you sure you have dentified the machanical devices?
ummmm Tycer, do you know which is the front and which is the back? Just checking. :?:
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[A sensitive male no doubt.]

And, here, I thought dat ALL of us wuz sensitive ! :o

I know I am - cuz, during my sensitivity training, I larnta raise my feet, when the woman was vacuumin'. :mrgreen:

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My wife wears bras with the clasp in the front. The adjusters are in the back. She tells me the rear clasp bras have the adjusters in the front.
This might explain the confusion a wee bit.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
ohio hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ohio hunter »

Handload reduced charges will work for most any gun. Here is my 8 year old shooting a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt. 1.5 grain of "Titewad" powder, remainder of case filled with cream of wheat. 200 gr H&G #68 clone cast boolit. I chrono'd this load @ 300fps. Yes 300fps and it poked a hole through a quart metal can then buried itself 6" in the sod. She really likes it. Works for all my women.
Jay
You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Jason have her get her hands on one of the TC Contender carbines. Neat little package, very easy to handle. Go with the .30-30 and a 22lr barrel. There is something about that almost vertical pistol grip on it that makes new shooters more comfortable. I would stick a 4x scope on each barrel and go with that. I know there are so many opinions. Good luck.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Joe, Joe, I am not an attorney or in law enforcement but it may be time for someone to read you your rights. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you. In this situation you have no right to an attorney and one would be of no use to you anyway. :D

Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Just say'n...never mind, it won't be appropriate...

Best female hunt'n gun is one of my favorites, a '94 Trapper chambered for .44 Mag. My hunt'n load is 24.5 grains of H110 behind a 240 grain JSP or 24.0 grains behind a HDY 265 gr. But...all the girls in my family seem to cater to my 240 grain cast in front of 9.3 grains (max load before gas checks are needed) of Unique. Still get 1250-1300 fps out of 'em and the fairer sex has manged to take down some nice critters. Oh yea...not load either.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Time Hunter wrote:Best female hunt'n gun is one of my favorites, a '94 Trapper chambered for .44 Mag.
My girls are very petite, although not what I'd call gun-shy, and both of them find my Marlin 1894 44 Mag a bit intimidating (I don't know how the heft/noise/recoil compares to the Trapper 44 Mag but assume it is similar). However they really took to the slightly shorter and lighter .357 Mag 1894 like ducks to water. So if they're weighing in at the 75-100 pound class, I'd look at the .357 Mag carbine, but I agree the .44 Mag ones (at least the Marlins :roll: ) are SWEET. My girls will no doubt 'graduate' to those soon. Of course .38 special and .44 special makes either one even tamer.