Post-surgery results

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post-surgery results

Post by Mike D. »

I haven't wanted to say anything, but figgered that an explanation of my sort of absentia is in order. As it turns out, my neck mass that was partially removed on 10 December is cancerous. It has been Dr. this and Dr. that ever since the results were made known to me on 20 December. I have had another CAT scan, that showed the problem spreading into the lymph glands in my neck from the base of my tongue, where it started. No pain was felt until after the cutting was over, either. Lucky for me it is still quite small and very treatable.

Next Tuesday we visit another Oncologist who will tattoo the targets on my neck where the radiation will be aimed. Hmm, targets, eh? HAR! Maybe he can be convinced them to make them interesting, since they are permanent.

Long story short, the plan will be for 7 weeks of radiation therapy with chemo twice a week. From what they are telling me, it ain't gonna be a picnic, with some permanent damage to my salivary glands highly likely. Whatever, my faith is strong, and I have many friends and family members to offer support throughout this bloody ordeal, including you fellers.

My plan is to stay on this site throughout the sessions and beyond. After the treatments are over, the docs say I will heal and be back to normal, whatever that is, in a short time. The outlook is bright, so I see no reason to panic. In the meanwhile, it will be back to duck and goose shootin' until the season ends, or I become debilitated from the treatments, whichever comes first. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

It sounds like the doc has a handle on it, but we will certainly keep you in our prayers.
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Mike D.,
Sorry to hear this. Sounds like you have as good an outlook as one could under the circumstances. Prayers for you and yours. :wink:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Mike -

You'll be in my prayers!
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

I'm glad you have your faith to get you through this. You will be in my thoughts and prayers as well. It is refreshing to hear your positive approach to the hand you were dealt.
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Prayers up Mike and good to see your posts Sir!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I will be thinking of you in the days ahead Mike, prayers have been sent.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Mike,

You will be in my prayers.

My friend, Raymond, had a tumor like yours. He has a scar on his neck, and is doing fine. I will ask him if he has any thoughts on your situation.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

We're pulling for you!
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

Mike ,know that all of us are wishing and praying for the very best result possible take care pard . Doug
a armed man is his own master
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Good luck, and will keep you in our prayers.
Ricky

DWWC
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Last Spike »

Prayers sent!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Kick it's ... Mike!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

my prayers are with you
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Mike, I'm very sorry for the turn of events. Chemo and radiation is a tough road, but it sounds like the prognosis is good, and your attitude is positive, which makes a HUGE difference. I will say prayers for you too. Please keep us posted as you can comfortably do given the circumstances.

Hang in there, Pard. This is a short-term thing, and it will all be a memory some day.

-Tutt
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Mike-
Thoughts and prayers are with you...and I think you should feel free to shoot as many leaded bullets in the state as you want dammit. I will hoist a few fingers of Old Potrero on your behalf. Jim
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I'm praying for ya, Mike. Sounds like you and the docs have a good handle on things. Keep us posted.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Dewight
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dewight »

Mike glad to hear that you gotten a positive prognosis. I know that a diagnosis of cancer will cause that nasty knot of dread. Wishing you all the best for the next couple of months..
Member: Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I'm pulling for you Mike and will say a prayer. Do stay in touch with us whenever possible. Besides, we gotta work on finding some bullets to satisfy that danged CA lead ban.
ED
Yer never too old
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Aloha Mike, I know you'll be fine but sending out an insurance prayer just to be sure. My mom beat lymphoma at age 76 so I know a strapping young buck like you will be just fine especially since you have the best docs working on your case. I still owe you a drink the next time i'm in the area so you hang in there. I know OT but keep us updated with your waterfowl hunting reports as they happen, no waterfowl hunting here in the islands so always like to hear about it, one day wanna give it a try. Take care buddy.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Live your life to the fullest - the best treament. I wish you a strong and speedy recovery.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Making my prayers of intercession Mike D. A tough ol' pice of wang leather like you will do just fine licking this bugger. Keep your faith & the fight up mentally....we'll be with you pard! :wink: :wink:

LeverBob
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hang in there Mike, I'm rooting for you.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You've got my prayers, too. I can't say anything that hasn't already been covered except I was hoping we'd get to meet and talk guns. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Mike - I know how you feel. Keep a PMA, and things will look up !

You're in my thoughts - Please check your email.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Good luck Mike.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I was just wondering the other day how you were doing. I will continue to pray for you and the doctors that are charged with your care.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Thanks for all the help, Friends. this cancer isn't all that rare and I know a couple of local guys that have beaten it, plus another that told me this AM.

Ji, I will be going hunting on Saturday, despite the forecasted "fearsome" storms about to descend on us. LOL The last barn buster they predicted managed to give us a 1/4" of rain and some 20 mph breezes, so we remain a little skeptical. :roll:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Will be praying for you Mike.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Good Luck Mike, a buddy of mine beat it and celebrated by buying a brand new Harley! :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Mike, you of all know that there is plenty of fight in a levergunner, history has built it in them. Gods speed to ya, Nathan.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Yes, prayers up for you and yours'...
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

On the list . . .

Noah
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Good luck Mike. Your prognosis sounds good. You'll be in my prayers.
Old Law Dawg
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

You're in our prayers, Mike.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Hang in there Mike. I don't think you will ever be "normal" though :P
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Prayers outbound from SE Texas.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

Mike, I think you seem to have a very capable grasp on what's.... goin' on. We cannot control evrything we have to face in this life...merely work through, or over it! The statement that you made referencce your wanting to continue your typical hunting routine tells me that you are much more than a "looker". The best of luck with whatever life puts in front of you.... somehow I think "M" is gonna be OK!![/i][/b]
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

I'm sorry to hear that it was cancerous, but it sounds like you will overcome this.

Chemo and radiation S U C K.
My neighbor Clyde has had those treatments on his lymphatic tissue, too, and he's beat it twice so far. The last time he got into it was a year ago, and he's 75 now.

Glad to see you here, and keep us posted.
You'll be in my prayers.