Old Tintype of winchester lever.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Old Tintype of winchester lever.

Post by rangerider7 »

"That'll Be The Day"
Brian in FL
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Old Tintype of winchester lever.

Post by Brian in FL »

Where'd you get that photo? That was me when I was younger.

Just kidding. :lol: :lol:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

It must have quite a fun way of making a living, taking pictures of dudes trying to look like they're armed and ready for life on the frontier.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! 8)
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

I know that the guys in those old photos were as tough as ropes, but why do they always look so small and thin through the shoulders?

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Bogie35, the average was much smaller then than today. If you were 6' 4" you were considered a giant. The average height was around 5' 5" or 5' 6".
"That'll Be The Day"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Something about that rifle doesn't look right. Where's the loading gate?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Most tintypes were reverse negatives.
"That'll Be The Day"
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

That appears to be a winchester 66. The predicesser to it is the hennry. The hennry didnt have a loading gate nor the wood forearm. However, I am not absolutely positive that some towards the end of the run didnt have the forearm.
I am only 68, still I remember in primer school getting our pictures taken. I remember braceing my shoulders up to pose and the old photogifer pushing my shoulders down forceably saying it made me look more natural. Also you never see them smile like a jackass do you? I was working in texas in 1962 and staying at a old dumpy hotel. A old photographer came, set up a makeshift studio with hanging sheets and talked me into poseing. I thought I looked soft and dorkey in the picture and didnt like it. After my mother died I found the picture, and no, I am not going to scan that one.
Here is a old gag one of my ex-wife, daughter and me taken in one of those old time studios in virginnia city, nevada many years ago. Just for fun. (my mustach was real)
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

That particular picture is reversed, unless he's wearing a women's jacket.
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Lots of photos taken with the old view cameras come out reversed. Right-handed gunslingers look like their holsters are reversed for example. Maybe the photographer had to do something "special" to make them be properly oriented. If you've looked through those cameras you've probably noticed that the subjects also are inverted. Someone knowledgeable will probably clear this up; my last class in the physics of optics was taken with Galileo.
Brian in FL
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Brian in FL »

Having had some experience using view cameras, they don't take horizontally reversed photos, but when looking at the focusing screen in the camera back the image is upside down. So, the picture taken is actually upside down, but the negative is printed right side up. In the case of a tintype there is no negative. The developed image is positive like a slide.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Bill,
Cool Picture of you and the family.
You have definetly got that hard core look going on(Dont mess with me/or my family look)
Kinda of a cross look between actors William Smith/Jack Palance.(in their younger days)
You still probably can kick our whipper snappers butts :wink:

Also thats a nice old photo--rangerider7
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

rangerider7 wrote:Bogie35, the average was much smaller then than today. If you were 6' 4" you were considered a giant. The average height was around 5' 5" or 5' 6".
I was born too late! I would have been "normal" back then! :lol:

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Gun Smith wrote:That particular picture is reversed, unless he's wearing a women's jacket.
Back then, there wasn't really a standard, since most clothes were home made.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1