Extemely way off topic: about guitars

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Extemely way off topic: about guitars

Post by brucew44guns »

I have had a big desire to buy and start learning guitar, and wondered how many of you guys play, and practice the guitar every day, are active with them? I am considering buying a new Gretsch, and learn all I can. am I kidding myself at age 64? Finding a teacher hasn't been all that easy so far, and I want to thumb pick if I can. Never hear about our musicians on the forum much.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Re: Extemely way off topic: about guitars

Post by mod71alaska »

brucew44guns wrote:I have had a big desire to buy and start learning guitar, and wondered how many of you guys play, and practice the guitar every day, are active with them? I am considering buying a new Gretsch, and learn all I can. am I kidding myself at age 64? Finding a teacher hasn't been all that easy so far, and I want to thumb pick if I can. Never hear about our musicians on the forum much.
Good Morning Bruce,

It is said that the guitar is one of the easiest instruments to play simply, and one of the hardest to play well. After more than 40 years around guitars I couldn't agree more. I love the guitar! I used to be able to play 4 tunes well. That's one tune for each decade...no musical talent here! Still, with 3 or 4 basic chords and a capo an acoustic guitar can be played and appreciated around any campfire, at home, or in church. With your Gretsch, of course, you'll need to be plugged in. There are lots of guitars out there. Unfortunately, many guitars will discourage you from wanting to pick them up and play them either because of how they sound or the physical difficulty of playing them. My advise always is to go to several music stores and try out as many different guitars as you can, get good advise, then buy the very best guitar you can afford. As long as the guitar sounds better than you can play (and is easy to play!) you will pick it up and want to make music. PM me anytime if you want to talk more about music and guitars. Martin acoustic guitars have been a lifelong love affair of mine. Good luck! It's never too late in life for a new passion and music is one of the very best! Victor PS: I forgot to mention: Practice...Practice...Practice!
Last edited by mod71alaska on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

It is never too late to start anything fulfilling and fun. If not now, when?
Like anything else, what you get out of it is what you put into it. Guitars are nice in that one can make real music fairly quickly. Practice is the key to learning anything: the more you do, the better you get.

If you have access to a really good guitar dealer, use their expertise and advice. There are so many very good guitars out there in used but excellent condition. Your choice would be fine, but look around, too. There are good books if you cannot find a teacher immediately. A good teacher can help you improve quicky. A poor teacher takes your money, and that's about it.

For what it's worth, I am in love with a Yamaha LL500.

jb
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Bruce, I grew up around a musical family and guitars. I'm looking at two guitars as I write this. Never to old to learn, especially for ones own enjoyment.

As advised, I would look around and put my hands on as many guitars as possible. Both electric and acoustic, or better yet an electric acoustic. You give up something with electric acoustics, but you get both worlds. Guitars are like anything else. Some fit, some don't. Plus, you generally get what you pay for. Buy the best quality you can afford and you won't regret it. I have a Takamini G series that's an acoustic/electric and I love it. I don't get the full volume of say a dreadnought, but it has great sound. Plus, I can plug it in to an amp and boost it to whatever I want.

A good teacher is hard to find. Most will just take your money and throw progressions at you or a couple of chords and tell you to work on them, which you should, but they should also be there to show you the small nuances, like picking, pulling, etc...
Old Law Dawg
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I played drums in a band throughout High School and College. After graduating I picked up the guitar. Kind of like firearms - they all make the same noise but some do it more refined than others. The basic $99 guitar can sound great and some can compete with the $9999 guitar on some levels. In my opinion, you should find one that is easy to play. That is, the strings are close to the fretboard and do not require a lot of pressure to get tone. Also, less than perfect finger positioning will not create too much twang and revibe. For a good deal on an easy to play guitar I would look to Zager. Denny Zager uses top quality imported assemblies and fine tunes the bridges, fretboard and string positioning so it is easy as I described above. The company offers used and imperfect guitars at a discount that is quite a bargain. I am currently playing a couple of older Martins for no other reason that I know the history of the individual instruments. Frankly, I have a Takamine and a Taylor that sound as good or better, but I favor the Martins for personal reasons that defy logic. Side note: Zager offers on-line instruction and video on their website with a membership and I think you get some free time if you purchase one of their guitars. Good Luck!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Timely post brucew44guns and great answers! I have had the same desire lately, I just love Southern Rock & Blues, I played the hormonica in my younger years, never learned to read music and would like too. Any guitar advise for a wannabe bluesman?
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Advice - learn to play chords and don't worry about reading music yet. If you can play chords you will be able to play songs and start enjoying the guitar must quicker. You can learn to read music and play "notes" later.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Bruce,
Been playing guitar all my life (well since 3 actually)
You should be able to learn fingerpicking fairly easy because of just
using a few chords and changing them up the fingerpicking will give you some great sounds.Now which Gretsch are you looking at?

Taylor guitars finger very well,but myself I still like the real Martins.
They make a Martin D16RGT that is solid Rosewood sides/back and solid sitka spuce top.I have one and a lot other guitars and that D16
sounds awesome.It has hybrid Scalloped bracing and tortise shell pick guard.Martin Hardshell case also.(for the dollar Taylor to me cant touch it)They use a material "Micarta for the fingerboard and bridge" which one of the Head Master Guitar Builders at Martin talked about this with me before I bought that model. This material "in their opinion/and mine has advantages in that I have found this guitar to stay in tune seems like "forever" and the sound is LOUD from this guitar like I have it Plugged into an amp.I called the factory and strummed it over the phone and the guys at Martin swear I had it plugged in(I did not)
They said well wait until aging sets in.They said they want to see it in a few years so I will be going back down there :)
For a tad over a grand for a New "Real solid rosewood Martin" made in Nazareth,Pa that is an incredible deal.Lifetime warranty too and will hold its value well.I bought mine from My Favorite Guitars in
(Florida) Good Luck! Ever get a chance walk through the Martin Factory and you will see what quality is all about!
Good song to start out on? Americas--Horse with no name ---2 chords whole song (Am and Em) See ya! and Have Fun.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Not to start a flame, but NOTHING sounds as good as a Taylor...
They do require a lot more care in proper storage etc they are more environmentally sensitive.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

My oldest son recently took up the guitar - he learned very quickly and can play pretty well already (kids are like sponges) plus, he's got long slender fingers which helps. We researched acoustic guitars and decided on an Alvarez which he got for Christmas. His has the auto-tune feature and can be hooked up to an amp. $400+. Good sound and stays tuned.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Hey Bruce, it's never too late!

I've been playing for almost 30 years, professionally for the last 15. I learned from the "Roy Clark Big Note Song Book"! Learn the major and minor chords first, and you'll be able to strum to almost anything. The most difficult part is learning the fingering and transitioning from chord to chord. However, don't get frustrated and give up. It does get easier with practice.

As for a guitar, there are several quality guitars for reasonable prices out there. Get something with a solid spruce top that will hold a tune, and you're in business. You can get a new one for as little as $200. However, a new well-made guitar with a solid spruce top will generally start in the neighborhood of $400. If you're looking at the Gretsch G5035, that's a fine guitar to start on. Also, the Washburn D10S is a great guitar for the money. I own a Taylor 510 acoustic (and a Fender Strat Plus electric). IMHO, Taylor guitars are the finest of the mainstream non-custom acoustic guitars, and even their cheapest is extremely well made. Martins are great guitars, but come from the factory with excessively high actions that make them difficult to play, especially for beginners. You would have to take the extra step of having a guitar tech lower the action for you. And their lower priced guitars are of lesser quality than Taylor's, IMHO. Regardless, the Gretsch or the Washburn would suit you well.

You're welcome to PM me if you have any questions.

Happy strumming!

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Man, I dont know about the Taylors sounding better. :?:
I have a 1998 Taylor 812ce and have to tell ya my Martin sounds better.Just play them both and ask the people listening and they always say the martin sounds better?(strumming or even fingerstyle)
Now as to build quality those Taylors often crack even with proper care!Two of my pals I play with have had their tops split bad and they really take good care of them.I dont know what Taylor has in a "Solid Rosewood" you can get for around a grand?I play light strings and had My favorite Guitars lead tech lower mine for free to my specs when I bought it.Fingers really well.Actually one of my best SOUNDING acoustic guitars is a rosewood Guild D35 bought new in 1978. Anyway any decent guitar will do ya!! Good Luck!

Dont get me wrong, Taylor "does build some fine guitars" its just if you want a very good sounding,not worrying about being too careful and strumming the stuff out of guitar and it HOLDING up. Its tough to beat a Martin? Just my opinion though??
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

madman4570 wrote:Man, I dont know about the Taylors sounding better. :?:
I have a 1998 Taylor 812ce and have to tell ya my Martin sounds better.Just play them both and ask the people listening and they always say the martin sounds better?(strumming or even fingerstyle)
Now as to build quality those Taylors often crack even with proper care!Two of my pals I play with have had their tops split bad and they really take good care of them.I dont know what Taylor has in a "Solid Rosewood" you can get for around a grand?I play light strings and had My favorite Guitars lead tech lower mine for free to my specs when I bought it.Fingers really well.Actually one of my best SOUNDING acoustic guitars is a rosewood Guild D35 bought new in 1978. Anyway any decent guitar will do ya!! Good Luck!
I haven't had any problems with wood splitting. But then again, I live in South Carolina where the humidity is about 1 million %! :D

Sound is a personal preference. I tried several Martin D28's, and they just didn't sound as balanced as the Taylor 510. Looking back, I think I liked the sound of the Taylor more because of the mahogany back and sides as opposed to the Martin's rosewood. It was crisper than the ultra warm sound of the rosewood. Since I play a lot of blues with leads, I like something that will cut through the mix.

Although it is hard to beat the strumming sound of an aged Martin, I can't understand why a company would ship such a fine guitar with such awful action. It only takes a few minutes for a tech to set it up well. To me, it equates to a rifle manufacturer shipping a rifle that won't hit paper. Just kinda slack...

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

There are a pile of good sounding acoustic guitars out there in prices from dirt cheap to OMG. My current main squeeze is a parlor sized flamed koa backed Tacoma AE that is no longer made :( that has stunning volume and tone acoustically. My brother has a Taylor and his son has a Takimine both are stunning guitars in tone. I've had Martin, Ibanez, Guild, Gibson, Washburn & Fender in the past. It's hard to go wrong with any of them.

Still for beginners, I always recommend something like this from Ovation.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ovation-celbrity-44 ... 1|294%3A50

Their Applause line is even less expensive.

The ovation necks are about the easiest acoustic guitar to finger for a beginner unless you have massively fat fingers or hugh hands. I'm of the opinion that the less pain, the more gain, when it comes to beginners and learning guitar. The Ovations sound good(some sound great but most, only good, even the expensive ones), they are easy to change strings on, and come in prices from mild to wild depending on where manufactured. They give up some volume acoustically from the shallow body(though not as much as you might think)on some models, and slip a bit when played sitting. They also sound better up front than to the player, but for sheer ease for a beginning player, they win out.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Well, you ain't gonna learn any younger, now are you...???

Used to pack a guiter (cheap Japanese job) in to the wilderness, to entertain dudes around the campfire at night. Caved in the top on one in a bad horse wreck; replaced it with a $95.00 Tanara before the next trip...

Wouldn't be without something to pick and strum on.
Last edited by Buck Elliott on Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I know a fellow who has a music store in the LA area and does some work in the movie business. I asked him what he had might concern this crew. Seems he has an 1870 Martin Parlor which has a letter from Martin. $10,000. He is going to send me pics.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I recommend getting into it whatever the age, as long as you have time to sit down with it nearly every day.

In my experience guitars are hard to fret in general and a beginner can get discouraged dealing with heavy strings and high actions. An electric is a good choice because you can start with some verrry light strings. Once you get accustomed you can change over to heavier strings and you might appreciate the tone. Also on electrics you can usually lower the string action yourself with an allen wrench at the bridge. Since I turned 50, I have gone to tuning lower (to D) and lowering the strings to make them easier to fret. This is a problem for me with even the slickest actions.

There are many types of guitars and guitar playing, acoustic, rock, classical, jazz, country, etc. A Gretsch is probaby ideal for jazz or country music. Hollow body electrics are great. A plus for electrics is you can plug into a cassette recorder and play silently with headphones anytime.

Once you get going, if you want to play along with cyber jazz bands, check out my website at:

http://www.musicstudents.com

there are several "karaoke" type songs to play along with.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Funny you ask this question . Was in a Pawn shop in Bemidji, he had quite a few old levers and GOBS of guitars on the wall. I know nothing about them, but they sure looked cool and alot of them appeared to be from 50's, 60's and 70's
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Right at this moment I am jaming with my neighbor Wayne.(he came over for a beer) :wink:
I have got to tell you his guitar which I am playing at this moment
is REAL nice.Its a Fender CD290SCE jumbo guitar
Solid Spruce top/blonde flamed maple back/sides,scalloped X bracing and a fishman pickup w/built in tuner.
He says you can get them a Musicians friend shipped for $400
It has a sweet sound! am playing song "Bookends" and its NICE!
Made in Japan but quality looks impressive.
Remember Brownings and John Deeres are made in Japan too.
Would not let that discourage me.For 4 bills sweet!
Will plug her in, in a moment :D
Wayne says HI to all you guys 8) he likes guns too!
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

I have been playing for 15 years, but still am not as good as I should be. I started with about 1 hour per night, then found I got the hang of things quicker by adding another half hour repeat session the next morning.
Dont plonk down a load of money on your first guitar, as you wont have a clue as to what you need, and what feels right in your hands. Get a cheapie, maybe an accoustic. Learn a few basic chords, and the major(ionian) scale, and the minor pentatonic scale. You can learn a simple song in a couple of hours, then spend a few weeks getting it just right. You will need a tuner, and most important is a metronome. Use it all the time.
Getting your fingers moving around the fretboard will be your initial major task.
Practice with your cheapie until you can master the fretboard, master the basics and play simple tunes. Once you get nimble enough and are able to skip around the fretboard, you will have more of an idea as to what guitar will suit you the best.
There is a lot of information and lessons to be had for free on You Tube. For those of us that do not read music, there are several tab sites to be found on the net.
There is no age limit. willingness and time is all that is required.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Thank you all for your input. I am going to look at the Taylors, look to be costly as well but very well made and reputable. I will try to get to Wichita, (90 miles away) and look down there in some music stores where they have some inventory. I just don't want to mess with and buy a 100 dollar piece of nothing to try to learn on. That 6122 Country Gentlman by Gretsch has my attention right now, but maybe it';s way too big, and too much guitar for little ol me. I'll be careful and get one that fits. Thanks again all.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

I have absolutely no musical talent. Can't even tap my toes to a beat without screwing it up. Good luck with the new endeavor Bruce. Whenever I get out to Salina for a visit you can entertain me. :lol:
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

What ever you get Good Luck to ya :)
A Taylor will do you well!
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

flatnose wrote:I have been playing for 15 years, but still am not as good as I should be. I started with about 1 hour per night, then found I got the hang of things quicker by adding another half hour repeat session the next morning.
Dont plonk down a load of money on your first guitar, as you wont have a clue as to what you need, and what feels right in your hands. Get a cheapie, maybe an accoustic. Learn a few basic chords, and the major(ionian) scale, and the minor pentatonic scale. You can learn a simple song in a couple of hours, then spend a few weeks getting it just right. You will need a tuner, and most important is a metronome. Use it all the time.
Getting your fingers moving around the fretboard will be your initial major task.
Practice with your cheapie until you can master the fretboard, master the basics and play simple tunes. Once you get nimble enough and are able to skip around the fretboard, you will have more of an idea as to what guitar will suit you the best.
There is a lot of information and lessons to be had for free on You Tube. For those of us that do not read music, there are several tab sites to be found on the net.
There is no age limit. willingness and time is all that is required.
+1

Well said.

bogie
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I started to get back into guitars a few years back so I put some money aside thinking I'd get the best and get a Martin. After I got it home I looked up the model on the net and found out it was made from HPL construction. Further reading revealed that HPL is High Pressure Laminate. Dang, I had a plastic guitar. I got ticked off and took it back.
I ended up getting a Deering Banjo instead. 100% American made. I've been working o it ever since. I like clawhammer style instead of the picking most bluegrass use so information is a lot more focused.

Try something, you'll like it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I can play the bajeezers out of any song that is in the chords G, C and D. :lol: I get along with the bass much better. I play a burgandy Fender Jazz Bass at church every sunday.

The banjo would be a neat thing to play if it can ever get around to buying one.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I've "learned to play" about 35 times in 30 years or so. If you have the time, practice daily... it's a use it or lose it skill.

Dont be suprised if you go through several guitars finding one with a fingerboard and neck that fits your hands. Actions can be modified if needed to make a guitar easier to fret (and make those buzzing noises go away too)
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

The Gretsch is a very nice instrument, but after you buy that and a decent amp, you're gonna be in the neighborhood of $2k-$3k. If you want to start on electric there are some much more reasonable alternatives. I'd recommend taking a good look at Epiphone's offerings and some of the lower priced Fenders, maybe. Then there's the amp, which is a whole different topic.

If its acoustic you want, don't drop a big wad on a Taylor, Santa Cruz, high-end Martin, etc. (None of those are the "best" anyway. You'll need a Collings for that.) I have a Martin DM which is a great guitar for the money. Also, the Seagull guitars are outstanding values with a very good quality:price ratio. Last but not least, for comfort's sake I'd think hard about getting something smaller than a Dreadnought-type body.

Good luck, and like someone said it is a perishable skill so don't get frustrated if it seems to disappear on you after some inactivity. It'll come back.

Scott
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

Image This thread needs a guitar pic....
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Rusty,
Dude a lot of the makers have their CHEAP lines using HPL.
Fender/Martin/Taylor/Gibson/Gretsch/Lowden/Ovation/just to name a few. :?
Anyway, hope you enjoy your banjo though! :)

Honestly, another possible way to go for a brand new beginner might a reasonable nylon strung classical.Neck is a tad wider but for a grown up should be no problem benifits are they are extremely easy on the fingers to learn on and also great for fingerpicking.If he sticks with it can also then get a steel strung guitar.First guitar I learned on was an old Kay nylon.Fantastic to learn on! I now a lot of the times use and my daughter loves to play my Washburn C64SCE Classical Nylon-String they go for $275 this is the guitar I take to the lake and play around the old campfire.Nice sound!
Its a cut-away and also has a Piezo pickup.I will take my little AS500 Marshall Acoustic Amp I picked up a couple years ago and 100ft extension cord to the cottage.
In fact the end of next month that very setup guitar/amp I was asked to play at my nieces wedding(their Bride/Groom Dance will play fingerstyle Unchained Melody) :wink:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

JoJo,
Wheres all the old Fenders Dude! :wink:
Though love the Gibsons too.Still am mad at my wife for not letting me buy that Buddy Holly Gibson J-45 about a decade ago(like 2 grand)came with certificate of validation from Marie Holly.Very Limited edition!
WHY DO I LISTEN TO HER SOMTIMES??????????????

Next I want a PRS :mrgreen: for SANTANA ROCKING!!!!!!!!!
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

draperjojo wrote:Image This thread needs a guitar pic....
Aaaaacckkk!!! My eyes, my eyes! EMG pickups in a Les Paul Custom!!! Off with his head!

Scott

:wink:
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

Ditto the "never too late to start" comments. I play a Breedlove 12-string at church (fine guitars those Breedloves). I recommend going to one of the "Guitar Center" chain stores where you can sit down & fool with a wide variety of brands and types. Look for one that feels right & matches your personality. I wouldn't worry too much about the brand name ..... there are lots of excellent instruments on the market.
NRA life member
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

You guys that like guitars/unreal acoustic music you have to get
the groups cd by the band-- America
its called "The Grand Cayman Concert"
© 2002 Human Nature (659057404325)
America has I think now over 215 recordings(I have them all)I have seen and met them countless times.Gerry and Dewey are so friendly and will chat just like they are your neighbors.Now when they see me they know me by name!(the wife thinks their HOT)later for me :cry:
Anyway this CD, its just those 2 guys at Grand Cayman island playing their black Taylors and Gerry also uses his white Baby grand piano.THATS IT!!!!!!
Just listen what two men with a couple guitars can do :o They Write it/play all instrumentals/and sing it all :mrgreen:
You guys want a song to get to your women, play "ALL MY LIFE" off that CD
I like to listen to yhat CD best with good earphones on my walkman.
Try it and see!
Now 2 GREAT Music DVDs "America In Concert - Ohne Filter"
In Akustik 2001 Germany and
Peter Frampton "Frampton Comes Alive II" (I met Peter at the meet and greet at a concert he did in 2007 in Elmira,NY at Mandeville Hall,Clemens Center.(had VIP seats) :wink: What a guy!!!!!!!!
I think I can play until I hear people like them,then?????????
Last edited by madman4570 on Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I like the nylon, too, my guitars are old Gibson classicals with jazz tailpieces added, they are like Willie Nelson guitars on steroids. I like the wide board and softer strings. I mostly do full chords, rarely any open string chords, which gets tough on the hand with steel strings.

I should mention (now this depends on the type of music) that learning just the open string chords will severly limit you. It's fine if you are singing folk songs, but most "cool" guitar stuff is done with barre chords up the neck. This means you lay your first finger down across all 6 strings and make your chords with the remaining fingers. Because you are "barring" these chords, you can play them anywhere on the guitar, high up on the neck or down low. If you get used to doing this you will find several ways of making each chord, giving you a choice of "voicings", to smooth out your progressions. It may sound advanced now, but a teacher can show you the concept in 5 minutes.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Yes,an excellent point!
Really expands your sound and with fingerstyle playing even more :) and then with a sweet nylon guitar! :mrgreen:

He can also down the road with those classical guitars they sound fantastic also with Alternate Tunning.(Like the Joni Mitchell stuff also)

So much great sound for so little work!

That Washburn for the dollar(solid top/body)plays unreal.Cheapest guitar I got/but one of the best sounds!
I just see him staying with it longer on a nice Nylon! So relaxing!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

My wish guitar is a Gibson Les Paul, almost any model would do. All the rockers growing up played'em and they're like an old levergun calling me.
Old Law Dawg
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

kimwcook wrote:My wish guitar is a Gibson Les Paul, almost any model would do. All the rockers growing up played'em and they're like an old levergun calling me.
Kim, I've had Les Paul's in the past and like and respect them. In my eyes, though, the levergun of electric guitars has got to be the Telecaster: a humble, no-nonsense workingman's instrument that can do it all given the right operator. Not to mention the Telecaster has an impeccable C&W pedigree. 8)

Scott
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

madman4570 wrote:JoJo,
Wheres all the old Fenders Dude! :wink:
Though love the Gibsons too.Still am mad at my wife for not letting me buy that Buddy Holly Gibson J-45 about a decade ago(like 2 grand)came with certificate of validation from Marie Holly.Very Limited edition!
WHY DO I LISTEN TO HER SOMTIMES??????????????

Next I want a PRS :mrgreen: for SANTANA ROCKING!!!!!!!!!
Here's two I built, the white hardtail with the warmoth body is 7 lbs :) For the record, wine red LP Custom had EMG's on it when I bought it. I did NOT change them...haha. And my main guitar is a PRS Custom 24 w/10 top.

RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Finally, a man's guitar! :wink:

Nice shielding work on the white Strat. Do you do the pickguards, too?

Sorry, no excuse on the EMGs. Replacements are readliy available. That guitar deserves better. :D 20 years ago, I used to play with a guy in college with a similar guitar, only his was natural finish. He played it through one of those Seymour Duncan "Convertible" amps. To this day, he wishes he'd had good ol' PAFs in it and an old Fender amp. Oh well, that was the '80s, after all; a scary time for music on many levels.

Scott
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I plead total ignorance, what is the shielding for? And, it looks like copper sheeting. Is it?
Old Law Dawg
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Correct on the Cu sheets. On a guitar with single-coil pickups it helps alleviate the 60-cycle hum that is often audible (sometimes too much so). It is the reason "humbuckers" were invented.

Scott
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

speaking of Les Pauls, I used to have a Les Paul Studio, black with chrome hardware. That thing was great. Played like a dream, sound was very good for jazz comping, and the price was right. I think I paid $399 on sale, that was a while ago. I looked them up and they're now about $700.00

Don't be dissuaded if your dream is the Gretsch sound. I just saw an ad for an Epiphone hollowbody electric, same style, very cool. Very good price, free shipping. When you are playing seriously, it's always nice to have an alternate instrument to take to rehearsals, leave in the trunk, etc, which you won't want to do once you invest in "your baby". There are many, many styles of guitars, and if what interests you is a particular style of music, don't get sidetracked. I looked up the Gretsch models out of curiosity, they have the Chet Atkins, Country Gentleman, and Brian Setzer models, plus a few more. Epiphone would probably be the best "starter" brand with models similar to Gretsch.

http://www.wwbw.com/Epiphone-Dot-Electr ... 49955.wwbw
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

This thread needs more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BruceW

yeah go for it. Me? I'm tone deaf but I can play the 1-4-5 progression on a bass. sorta.

I think the big question is what kind of music do you like?

Flamenco sounds better, to my tin ear, on nylon strings than it does on steel ones. Classical too.

I think it would be a good idea to get a 3-string cigar box guitar, learn to tune it, and start playing it. Would probably sound wierd playing a guitar concerto or spanish flamenco, but it is perfect for playing a couple hundred thousand songs from the American song book.

http://cigarboxguitars.com/ a random site, and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN7nVZbZue0

this is as American as chicken pot pie. it's not hard. there are dozens of how-to's on the tube. or for any other style you enjoy.

Me? I listen but I actually am tone deaf and can't keep time either. Ugh.

Grizz
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:BruceW

yeah go for it. Me? I'm tone deaf but I can play the 1-4-5 progression on a bass. sorta.

I think the big question is what kind of music do you like?

Flamenco sounds better, to my tin ear, on nylon strings than it does on steel ones. Classical too.

I think it would be a good idea to get a 3-string cigar box guitar, learn to tune it, and start playing it. Would probably sound wierd playing a guitar concerto or spanish flamenco, but it is perfect for playing a couple hundred thousand songs from the American song book.

http://cigarboxguitars.com/ a random site, and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN7nVZbZue0

this is as American as chicken pot pie. it's not hard. there are dozens of how-to's on the tube. or for any other style you enjoy.

Me? I listen but I actually am tone deaf and can't keep time either. Ugh.

Grizz
Grizz was so despondent about his timing that he threw himself behind a bus...... :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

only to discover the key was in my other pants
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Lots of good info on this thread. I didn't know we had so many geetar pickers! I started playing about 8 years ago. I'm no good, but I love to play. I started out on a cheap Ventura guitar. It had a good sound, and that's all that matters when you are starting out. I then got a Mexico Fender Stratocaster. I haven't done much with it, as I prefer an acoustic guitar. I upgraded my acoustic to a nice acoustic/electric Ibanez AEL50 3/4 jumbo. I would have loved a nice Taylor or Martin, or even a good Gibson, but that Ibanez is so pretty with the matte finish and ivy inlay on the fretboard. Plus it has a very nice sound for about half the price of a decent Martin or Taylor. It's got a solid spruce top and flamed sycamore back and sides. I can't play half as well as that guitar sounds or looks.

The main thing is to get something you will play. If you can accomplish that with a decent sounding $100-$200 guitar (which is what I would suggest) then go for it. Practice, practice, practice. When your fingers hurt, practice some more. At least an hour a day for the first 3-4 months. You will be horrible at first, but that's ok. Everyone is. You will soon "get it", and will be strumming and singing in no time.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Well, its been 5 years what did Bruce get?
How is your playing Bruce?
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Go for it! Now 61, I got my first guitar at 14 but gave it up at about 16. I just picked it up again a few months back, and with a couple of lessons from my professional musician son have made tremendous progress -- so much that this past weekend I had a blast jamming with him and a pro bluegrass band up in Sevierville, TN. A real hoot! My son last heard me play six weeks ago, and he was absolutely blown away at my improvement.

I would suggest doing online reading on guitars and talking to as many players as you can find, as well as trying out as many guitars as you can, before buying. And don't overlook pawnshops! In the past 2 months, I have found three pawnshop bargains on great guitars -- an Alvarez, a Blueridge, and a Fender 12-string -- paying a grand total of $350 for all three!