Range report - the Good, the Bad and the Lovely

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Range report - the Good, the Bad and the Lovely

Post by Old Savage »

We had a surprise visit from an old friend and his girlfriend. He is from the UK and she is Greek but works in Brussels at the EU center, she is also working on a doctorate in international affairs. He is a police crime analyst in the UK.

My daughter went on a school trip to Paris in 97. While on the way back she stopped in England to visit the family of a fellow in school in England that she met as part of one of these school international correspondence programs. The family was very nice to her and took her many places. Chris the fellow you will see was the younger brother. When he reached 21 he came to stay with us for two weeks and amid the touring I took him shooting a couple of times. He had the opportunity to shoot pistols, rifles, shotguns and he loved it - still has the target and the certificate of proficiency I made up for him.

He and his girl friend - the lovely Elina were here touring the west by car - Las Vegas, San Francisco, Yosemite, Los Angeles and my daughter was once more part of this. She called us Friday and said he would like to get together with us. So, they all came by Sat. night with flowers and wine and my wife made her white chili. We had a great time and in the course of the evening I showed them an 1860 Army - unloaded of course. She, although having almost no previous experience with guns, took right to it.

We talked about the differences in gun ownership in the UK, Europe and America. During the course of the evening my wife pulled me aside and said she thought Chris would really like to go shooting again. I thought they were leaving the next day for England. They were but not until 8 PM, they eagerly accepted an invitation to go. Guess I was excited to as I woke up at 4:30 thinking about what to take for them to shoot. I wanted to focus on her experience and safety and give him a chance to shoot things he hadn't before. Of course, what better choice than LEVERS and SINGLE ACTIONS!

The Good - Their experience:

We started with Elina and the 32 Mag, all over the place but she had fun.

Then to the 44 Mag - with light Specials of course.

Again all over the place but she loved it. Then, and no pic here, she went to the 22 LR Single Six and did very well. Which, of course, excited her. Chris did fine with all of them - she was very impressed with her man and his ability - HE loved it! :D

Then on to the rifle range. I had him start with the 30-30 shooting at a 400 yd steel plate offhand - he came pretty close, appreciated the difficulty. Here she is happily and proudly videoing him.

Then, I had him sit at a bench and after a couple shots he hit it. His excitement at his achievement was palpable as it was with Cowboytutt the first time he hit it with his 375 H&H. She glowed.

Then to the Marlin 1894C, Elina had a taste of rifle shooting but will need more experience. Chris hit this steel pillar every time that I saw him shoot at it. Up until now I had them going single shot. But for this, I loaded five in and had him just lever an shoot. He was quite proud of hitting it over and over.

Here they are at the end.

They enjoyed the whole thing.

The Bad:
Dropped the 32 Mag Single Six on the concrete :o it hit on the left grip - broke it, hit the left front barrel then flipped over dinging the right grip, hitting the loading gate, cylinder and ejector shroud. - The up side - I don't have to worry about minor dings or holster wear anymore. :)

The good and bad:

I found that my Super Blackhawk which is OK but not great on accuracy will shoot very well with on of my standard 44 Special loads. See the target but the Rossi 92 Colt off the bench was terrible with a light 45 Colt load I use - as far as I can measure the front driving band of the 250 gr Keith SWCs and the bore are both .452". I will have to try other bullets - it doesn't seem to get along with this one. I love the rifle though.

THE LOVELY, well you have already seen that.
Last edited by Old Savage on Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

SFRanger7GP

Re: Range report - the Good, the Bad and the Lovely

Post by SFRanger7GP »

Wonderful story. You are a great Ambassador for gentleman gun owners everywhere.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

not only was that a great time for the entire group, but it's a great moment in the young folk's futures. never again will they hear the bs about us and our arms and not know that it's bs. priceless
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Great Old Savage, you sure done shooting sports a service! :D If only everyone had the chance to meet someone like you we wouldn't have any worries about the future of shooting and gun ownership.

Sorry to hear about the .32 Single Six though :cry:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Nothing like combining good old fashioned FUN and a little education about gun ownership!

I like your practical "not having to worry any more about dings" approach to the sudden wear on your .32 revolver. We should all be so calm!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sounds like a good time until the 32 hit the concrete. Well, stuff happens and no sense in getting mad or crying over spilt milk. You make a good ambassador.
Old Law Dawg
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Definitely a pleasure to read a positive accounting of their introduction to firearms. :D
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Great story Fred. Glad you could give the visitors from the U.K. a positive experience and a positive memory of the U.S..

but you said Fred:
....................she is also working on a doctorate in international affairs. ............................
I didn't know you needed to go to college for that. I would like to point out that in the 24-years I spent in the U.S. Navy, I had numerous international affairs and needed no doctorate to accomplish them.
ED
Yer never too old
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

kim, the 32 hit the ground early on - they don't even know it happened.

Mo ED - maybe they have considered your career and decided on a different approach.

AJ - don't know how calm I was in the moment. :oops: But now, when ever I see those marks I will think of those two and our fun. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent Fred! Great way to have a ton of fun and help educate others on the joys of shooting. Hopefully they are very verbose in telling everyone "back home" how much fun they had!!! :D
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Fun!!!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hey OS, I figure IL is a foreign country, if we ever get to your end of the world will you take us shooting???? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seriously, I'm glad you showed them such a wonderful time. It's get togethers like this that will turn the tide against the anti gunners in this world. One person at a time.
Sorry about the 32, but it's broke in now.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

game keeper wrote:Great Old Savage, you sure done shooting sports a service! :D If only everyone had the chance to meet someone like you we wouldn't have any worries about the future of shooting and gun ownership.
Sorry to hear about the .32 Single Six though :cry:
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Nice to see all had a good time. Hopefully when they take their story back across the big pond it will influence some of their friends and give them the opinion that GUNS arent the EVIL MONSTER they are often portrayed to be.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

OS,

where did y'all do all the shooting ??

Cheers,

Carl
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Great story. OS, you are giving them a gift that they could not get in their own countries. America what a country!

:D
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Great Old Savage - the gun ambassador :!: :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Carl - we shot at A Place to Shoot on San Francisquito Rd north of Saugus. They have a web site. My home range as you might say.

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

OS, you sure manage to get some decednt looking women in your camera sights from time to time ! :D

Good looking young couple --- glad they got a proper intro to shooting

As for the .32 --- well, its a Ruger, the most durable SA in the world -- just get some sweet new mammoth ivory grips and call it good ! :D
----- Doug