drilling through the serial number

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Irascible
Levergunner 1.0

drilling through the serial number

Post by Irascible »

I know it's illegal to alter a serial number, but I would like to install a tang sight on my Win. M64. If I stamp the serial number in another location before I drill through the original is it then legal? I know, its a collector gun, I don't care. It will be more usefull to me with a tang sight. It already has a receiver sight, but that is not legal for SASS long range matches.
Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be - Abe Lincoln
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: drilling through the serial number

Post by Buck Elliott »

NOT legal...

Serial Number shall not be erased, altered or defaced in any manner.

You are not allowed to relocate number.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

You can relocate the serial number IF you contact ATF BEFORE you reloacate it and get their permission and their guidance as to where to relocate the serial number. Many Model 1917 Enfields and 1914 Enfields have relocated serial numbers as some modifications to the receiver area where the serial number is located are sometimes required (i.e., scope mounts).
ED
Yer never too old
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Irascible wrote:I know it's illegal to alter a serial number, but I would like to install a tang sight on my Win. M64. If I stamp the serial number in another location before I drill through the original is it then legal? I know, its a collector gun, I don't care. It will be more usefull to me with a tang sight. It already has a receiver sight, but that is not legal for SASS long range matches.
I don't know the laws on this so I won't comment, but I've never seen a Winchester lever gun with the serial number on the upper tang. Since the 64 is a 94 variant it should be stamped on the bottom of the receiver on the rounded area just forward of the link.
I think ...... :?:

Can you show a picture of this?

I know Marlin moved their serial numbers from the upper tang to the side of the receiver because of folks who wanted to install tang sights, but that's all I know.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

What Mr. Miller said..... +1

Ed
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I know Marlin moved their serial numbers from the upper tang to the side of the receiver because of folks who wanted to install tang sights, but that's all I know.
When did they do this? All my Marlins have the number on the upper tang, and they're all new models.

I think my Winchesters have it on the underside, but I'd have to check.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I dont think I've ever seen an Winchester lever with the SN anyplace other than front of the lever --bottom of the receiver.

dont they make an "a-dap-TOR kit" so you can tang sight a Marlin without defacing the SN?
~J
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

El Chivo wrote:
When did they do this? All my Marlins have the number on the upper tang, and they're all new models.

I think my Winchesters have it on the underside, but I'd have to check.
I'm not sure exactly but my 2005 Vintage 1894 Cowboy has the serial number on the side of the receiver. I think they did this at the same time they discontinued drilling and tapping them for side mount receiver sights.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I sure would like to see a pic of a Winchester Model 64, or any Winchester levergun for that matter, with it's original serial number on the top tang. :roll:

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

A lot of 1917 Enfields did have their serial numbers removed, their logos and rollstamps eliminated, and generally stripped of any military references, BUT this was OK in past years. It is no longer OK to even remove rollstamps, let alone serial numbers.
Nowadays you can get adapter bases to span the serial number, so you can then install a std. tang sight into the adapter base without defacing a serial number. Contact Marbles Sight Co. and ask about a sight or adapter base for your particular model rifle.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

marlinman93 wrote:A lot of 1917 Enfields did have their serial numbers removed, their logos and rollstamps eliminated, and generally stripped of any military references, BUT this was OK in past years. It is no longer OK to even remove rollstamps, let alone serial numbers.
Nowadays you can get adapter bases to span the serial number, so you can then install a std. tang sight into the adapter base without defacing a serial number. Contact Marbles Sight Co. and ask about a sight or adapter base for your particular model rifle.
This is what I've been told by a couple people in law enforcement and FFL's who I trust. Too bad the AlphaGoons get so fired up about non-violent and often not even significant 'crimes' instead of limiting the scarce resources available to nailing the violent criminals and actual terrorists (not referring to FairTax advocates or Ron Paul voters) they could go after.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Serial numbers make the gun safer. Just add milk. ;)
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Marlin has had their serial numbers moved from the lower tang, then to the upper tand and now on the side of the receiver. The GCA of 1968 requires serial numbers be on the receiver. Lower tangs were not considered permanent part of receiver as they could be removed. The upper tang was then used. Now on the frame side of receiver for the reasons stated. Never have seen a Winchester with a Tang serial number, but could be wrong......
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

...Winchester 1873, 1-of-1000, Serial Number on LOWER TANG:

http://www.pbase.com/stusmithphoto/image/74004884

...and, another one:

http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/1873-winc ... number.htm

http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/images/18 ... %20(6).jpg

It was done for a time, and the replacement tangs were blank, if I remember what I have read.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Cliff wrote:Marlin has had their serial numbers moved from the lower tang, then to the upper tand and now on the side of the receiver. The GCA of 1968 requires serial numbers be on the receiver. Lower tangs were not considered permanent part of receiver as they could be removed. The upper tang was then used. Now on the frame side of receiver for the reasons stated. Never have seen a Winchester with a Tang serial number, but could be wrong......
Even when Marlin had serial numbers on the lower tang, the uppers were still also stamped. It was just located under the wood, so you didn't see them unless you removed the buttstock. And EVERY old Winchester I own has the serial number on the lower tang, and NO number to match anywhere else!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I see that Irascible hasn't reappeared. Was he pulling our leg or what? There's no such thing as a serial number on the upper tang of a Winchester Model 64.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Maybe the OP confused his M64 with his Marlin. :roll:

I know that, as I age, I sometimes get a little confused - and it's embarassing. :oops:

Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Or maybe some previous screwball stamped his SSN on the upper tang....I've seen SSN's stamped on several guns through the years.

Ed