Did your 45-70 cut your head?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nobody

Did your 45-70 cut your head?

Post by Nobody »

:D
Last edited by Nobody on Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Did your 45-70 cut your head?

Post by Old Savage »

No - why???
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Sounds like a "loaded" question to me.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have done it, but not with a 1895 Marlin.
Kapincrunch
Levergunner

Post by Kapincrunch »

Never cut my head but the scope on my 450M hit my shooting glasses hard enough to scare me. From that point on I have never had a scope on a rifle with less than 5 inches of eye relief. There are some pretty good scopes out there with adiquate eye relief. I like my 2x-7x Burris Timberline with 5 inches of eye relief for about $150.
jim
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Nah, my guide gun is ported, and i dont shoot anything hotter than factory loads anyway

I have gotten a black eye from a .300 Weatherby Magnum though
----- Doug
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

No scope ring, but I cut the bridge of my nose with the large disc, on the tang sight.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

nope, with my .375 H&H Contender, but not with a 45-70
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

.375 H&H contender? :shock:
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Did it with a scope on a Browning Hi-Wall in 45-70. Had 300 gr pills moving at over 2400fps, and the Scope moved all the way forward. Broke my glasses and cut my nose up. It sucked. Crescent buttplate on that rifle would allow about 3 flinch free shots before I had to walk away. But it sure would do long range. That was when I was younger and more concerned with speed.

Ed
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Never happened to me,but let my friend shoot my .300 win mag with some real hot handloads and it got him good! I warned him too :roll:
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

I fired an EBR for the first time. It had a red dot sight; so I held my head kind of high. The bolt came back and kissed me ever so lightly on the end of the nose. I quickly changed the way I mounted it.

Bob
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
bbleverfan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bbleverfan »

yes i have a couple of times with my 1895g
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

mescalero1 wrote:.375 H&H contender? :shock:
Yeah, what's up with that? Was it made specifically for tearing wrist tendons?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think he meant .375 JDJ... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yep - But with a new .444 in 1967, not a .45-70, when I shot it with a 2x scope mounted in Weaver Pivot mounts ( I know, I know - I was YOUNG ! !) swung off to the side.

The .45-70 chewin' came 25 years later, when I benched a just-purchased T/C .45-70 Super 14 Hunter w/ Thompson scope.
It had T/C's then newly-introduced rubber-cushioned walnut grips, and the Muzzle Tamer (muzzle brake) installed at the factory.
The little trigger overtravel adjustment screw, in the backstrap of the TG flat almost tore off my middle finger, and almost rendered me unable to salute folks I didn't care much for ! :mrgreen:

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

No, but worse - I didn't interrupt a new shooter I was [supposed to be] coaching when he was at the bench with a scoped .444 Marlin - I thought he was a 'bit' close, but didn't want to disturb his shooting.

I think we both learned a lesson that day... :oops: :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Snuggled up to my guide gun ONCE and once only. You know, "climbed up the stock" during a bench session. My right thumb made my nose bleed. It dripped blood for a day. Big fun. 1886.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

1886 wrote:Snuggled up to my guide gun ONCE and once only. You know, "climbed up the stock" during a bench session. My right thumb made my nose bleed. It dripped blood for a day. Big fun. 1886.
:? Didn't your Momma tell you never to pick your nose...? :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Who puts a scope on a levergun?

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

I agree with Pharmseller, no scopes on my levers.....BUT I did get caught with a scope on my 308 of all calibers! It was a light weight Kimber Montana and I had the scope set back just a little to far, that light weight rifle bucks pretty good off the bench.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Who puts a scope on a levergun?]

Well............ As I posted, I was young, and didn't know any better, yet - although IMO some leverguns are "all right" w/scopes, like the BLR, Win 88, and the Savage 99.

And, my Marlin 1894P is scout-scoped - a pretty sweet-handlin' popgun.

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

pharmseller wrote:Who puts a scope on a levergun?

P
My sentiments exactly... OR on a sixgun...?!?

To quote the Grand Curmudgeon: SDNBOH -- "Scopes do not belong on handguns."
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
JesterGrin_1
Levergunner

Post by JesterGrin_1 »

Yes lol. I was hunting HOG at night with my Marlin 1895GS in 45-70 and got a little too close to the scope to get a good site picture. BOOM HOG goes flop and then ask myself what is that warm stuff running down my face lol. Yep Blood from the top corner of my nose lol.

And on the bench I have to be very very careful and watch that I am just in the site picture. And still at times it will still just kiss my eyebrow. Not hard just a touch.

If I did not wish for my 45-70 to reach out and touch things I might think of loading those RD 350Gr's down some lol. 1950FPS or so. :)

On a further note I am going to mount a Scout scope on there lol. Awwwwwwww heck I will add this my little friend bugged me to use it one night to HOG hunt and I did inform him to be very careful and to keep the scope away from his head as far as he could but you know how well a warning works when a person is excited when hunting lol. He got a good cut in his eyebrow and almost knocked him out lol. Staggered for a little while lol. But he did get the HOG lol.
Last edited by JesterGrin_1 on Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

BREATHES THERE A MAN WITH A HEAD SO DEAD,
WHO NEVER TO HIMSELF HATH SAID,
I GOTTA MOVE THAT SCOPE AHEAD.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
375hh1973
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 375hh1973 »

Not with a .45-70 but with a .416 wby mag DGR with the muzzle brake removed....400 gr solid at 2600 fps
TuPapito
Levergunner

Post by TuPapito »

I made sure to shoot my 1895 plenty before I scoped it. Had to get used to the recoil.

But every single person who has shot my scoped 1895 has walked away with either a red mark over their eye or full-on scope eyebrow. Even with all my warnings and teaching, they all get thunked. Sorry guys. :oops:
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

I've been cut numerous times over the right eye by the palma sights on my bolt gun during the rapid fire sitting portion of a match. I finally just stuck "mole skin" over my eye before every match.

I saw a guy drag a beautiful pre-64 Win .375 H&H out at the range at McKellers Lodge on Ft Bragg. I was admiring the rifle and he commented he wanted to trade it for a CAR-15. I was test firing one I had just put together and was eager to take the "old gun (his words)" off his hands. His friend grabbed the Win, filled it with shells and took a good "half moon club" shooting posture. I warned him to back off the scope and was told, "I'll have you know I am a sniper!" My response was "I apologize, snipe on!" He fired and it laid his forehead open like he'd been hit with a machete. He gave me me a dirty (and bloody) look and fired again. I saw his head roll back and the gun drop to the table. The other guy laid down my CAR and ran over to look at his buddy. He was TKO'd...and needed stitches. He helped the "sniper' to their car, loaded up their gear and I am guessing went to the hospital. Needless to say I didn't get the trade and never saw either one at the range again.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

no, I read too many accounts of scope eye before I ever shot anything with more recoil than a 30-30....
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

SFRanger,
:lol: