OT Raffle of .44 1894P

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

OT Raffle of .44 1894P

Post by rjohns94 »

I am considering turning the 1894P .44 mag into a raffle. a fixed number of tickets at a set price and pull the winners name out of the hat. No shipping charges to winners FFL.

Questions:

Is that allowed here??

Any interest? How many tickets should there be? 50 $10? 100 $5 ?? or ???
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Similar raffles have been discussed here before, and determined that it was not legal.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Thanks for posting Ted. That's true because, apparently, raffles in some states are gambling.

Mike, I know that you're raising money for a good cause, how about auctioning that gun?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

I'd bid in that auction. :D
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Each state has different laws on gambling. Our gun club maintains a WA. state gambling license just so we can sponsor raffles at the Friends of NRA banquets. It costs almost $1,000 a year but the returns offset the cost of the license.
An auction is the best way to go. :wink:
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I like the raffle idea, there must exist a venue to forward this endeaver
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd suggest keeping to $5 per ticket, and selling no more than 20 tickets; just let me know when you're ready, and I'll buy $100 worth of tickets...! :twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

'Auction

Post by rjohns94 »

Hobie, I could auction the gun. Can I do that in the classified section? I'd rather not do the national type sites like gunbroker or gunsamerica. If so, I will relist it today. If that works, there are several others I could do in that fassion to raise funds for future work in Sendafa.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I would love to see a raffel on that firearm. 50 tickets @ $10.00 each and I will purchase the first three!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

I don't see a rule allowing an auction on the classifieds board. Specific types of posts are outlined (FS, WTB, WTT, etc.)

We'd all be auctioning a crapload of guns & stuff there if it were allowed, as free beats the fees auctionarms and gunbroker charge!

And as soon as someone got a raw deal they'd be looking for Hobie to give them recourse? :roll:

PA requires a license for a raffle, lots of rules associated with raffles and drawings, unless free. You COULD have a random drawing for names only, with the winner winning first crack at buying the gun at a set price. But no charging for chances or "tickets, etc. Raffles are a state felony without a license, so don't get into that at all.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

mohavesam, there have been several auctions on this forum in the classifieds and on the old forum. In fact, there have been several items for Jim T's trip. I will wait for Hobie or one of the other moderators to get back to me before I do anything.
Mike Johnson,

Lloyd Smale
Levergunner

Post by Lloyd Smale »

im not certian of this but i think that if a raffle is held you can only keep the ammont of money a raffle item is worth and all the rest of the profits must be sent to a charity. I know that years ago a buddy bought a pace car corvette thinking it was going to be a money maker and the prices fell out from under them. he held a raffle for it and was legally allowed to keep the apraised value but then had to donate the rest to charity. I dont know if that is just a michigan law or a federal law though. he also had to get a permit to hold a rafle legaly.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thanks for the info and opinions on the raffle. Hobie has already stated that it cant be done here. All proceeds were to go to charity and if the auction happens on this site, all proceeds will go to charity as have the last several sales of my firearms. Thanks again. I await the moderators ruling on the auction.
Mike Johnson,