OT-2001 Chevy Malibu coolant question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

OT-2001 Chevy Malibu coolant question

Post by awp101 »

My Grandfather just called and said their 2001 Malibu has started draining the coolant overflow tank (his words) but never seems to overheat and the temp gauge only shows one tick over normal (his words). He said there are no signs of leakage under the car and it seems to be running fine other than the idiot light coming on to let them know the overflow tank is empty.

He said the dealer replaced the thermostat when it did the same thing some time ago (I have no idea how long ago) but he doesn't know if that was the cause or a symptom.

I'm not where I can get to it and look at it this weekend and Monday he can call the dealership but I figured I'd ask and see if anyone had any thoughts.

Thanks!
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT-2001 Chevy Malibu coolant question

Post by iceman »

Could be a head gasket leaking either to cylinder or crankcase . White smoke if into cylinder, or overfull oil dipstick. Sometimes when you remove oil filler cao, oil looks foamy inside cap or in valve cover. I had a head gasket leak between exhaust passage and coolant path once and would over pressurize coolant system and blow coolant out of reserve tank. Good luck.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

How long does it take to empty the reservoir? How many miles are on the car?

If it's a slow external leak it may go unnoticed. Those engines are notorious for lower intake manifold gaskets leaking coolant. They will usually start out just seeping, and the coolant will mostly evaporate rather than leak fast enough to leave spots on the garage floor.

If it's emptying the tank in a few days, it could have an internal leak. A small leak into a combustion chamber could go unnoticed for a while too. Have him pull the engine oil dipstick and make sure the oil isn't milky looking. If it is, he shouldn't drive it till it's repaired.
NRA Life Member
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

My wife's car was doing the same thing. One day it sputtered and died. Turned out to be the intake manifold gasket letting go. GM 3800 V-6.....$800 repair bill. He should probably get it checked out soon.
UNITE
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

It's a pretty quick test to check for a gasket leak. Most garages have a simple device that is put into the radiator cap openning. It's filled with a liquid that reacts with the exhaust gas that gets into the coolant system. Been so long since I looked at one, I can't remember if a yellow liquid turns blue, or a blue liquid turns yellow. But it really doesn't matter. They are pretty cheap, and can usually be found at auto parts stores.

If you're getting coolant into the oil, you can usually see it on th dipstick. Regardless, just drain the oil, you'll see it if it's there.

A quick google check shows that gasket problems are fairly commonplace. Apparently the gasket has some sort of plastic on it that leaks by in time.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks all, I'll pass the info on so he can let the Chevy house know when he calls Monday.

I think he mentioned the intake gasket having been replaced before as well. We'll see...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

maybe he could get 4500 for it, let the govt help buy a new car?? :roll: probably a bad idea
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

The series II 3.8L V6 has a plastic intake manifold. They have a tendency to crack at about 80/100K depending on how the car is driven.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

'01 Malibu only came with a 3.1 V6.
NRA Life Member
TwoCup
Levergunner

Post by TwoCup »

Had a 2000 Malibu with 3.1, did the same thing. Spent 2 days tearing the engine down and installing new intake manifold gaskets. Use a digital camera to record where all the darn wires and hoses go.

TwoCup
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

The 3.1 V6 is notorious for blowing through intake gaskets. First you use coolant out of the tank, then you go to start the engine one time and it won't even crank because one cylinder is full of coolant and water-locked the engine. Usually $500, +/- $100 depending lon locale and degree of repair shop owner avarice.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Yes what every one else says. If it is the/a head gasket sometimes a spark plug will look a different colour to the rest but also this could apply to the inlet gasket too. Usually a head gasket pressure the coolent so much it spues out and or bubbling/knocking can be heard as the gas purges the system.
Oh and those chem testers usually turn yellow from what ever colour they start at, good they are.

Good luck.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!