What do you think the best fighting revolver is?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Re: Best defense revolver

Post by Doc Hudson »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Wheel gun? Like Mike, I favor the S&W Model 19. Nope, not the smallest one out there, but simply a great all-around revolver! :D
This is not a wheelgun
It is a revolver or six-gun.

This is a wheeled gun

It's ben a while since I did that. Taffin would be proud! :lol:
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What do you think the best fighting revolver is?

Post by jeepnik »

I love S&W's. I prefer ones made before WWII. But If I had to pick the best for "combat", I'd take the only one that was designed and manufactured for "combat".

S&W Model 1917, .45 acp.

Fixed sights, nothing to get out of alignment. 5" barrel, you'll get the most out of the .45 acp, in a good holster sized gun.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Senior Levergunner

the best

Post by 2571 »

First post was the most enlightened. Undoubtedly the Model 10 Smith in 4".

Been carrying one for > 30 years. Own several, pencil barrel is my favorite configuration.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Re: the best

Post by morgan in nm »

2571 wrote: Own several, pencil barrel is my favorite configuration.
Mine too. I have never been fond of the fat barrels. Historically, the model 10 was one of the most popular firearms for police for a long time. Its weight was light and it fit most hands. Accuracy is good and knockdown is acceptable with the 38spc. They are truly a classic. However, my favorite was its replacement and that was the 19. Yeah, they had some problems according to some folks about being too weak for some loads but they are a pleasure to shoot. I too own a few and the 19 I own is by far in the worst shape but if I was in a fight, thats what I would hope to have on me.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Best defense revolver

Post by Rexster »

Doc Hudson wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:Wheel gun? Like Mike, I favor the S&W Model 19. Nope, not the smallest one out there, but simply a great all-around revolver! :D
This is not a wheelgun
It is a revolver or six-gun.

This is a wheeled gun

It's been a while since I did that. Taffin would be proud! :lol:
Thanks, Doc! :) Too much "wheeliness" creeping in here lately. I noted some of the posts are mentioning autoloaders, too, as if the author of the post had forgotten to read the first, original post. Lots of great autoloaders out there, and I use them myself, but the topic is fighting revolvers.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
375hh1973
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 375hh1973 »

4" 629 loaded with winchester silvertips....also a SOG Pentagon as backup...comes in handy to open my mail...

336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

Wow sure are alot of great looking revolvers here. I'm a bit surprised that there aren't more .44 SPL mentioned here.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I've got a 4 inch Smith Model 13 that has a great action and is very accurate. It would be hard for me to grab another revolver if the chips were down.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Gotta go with my Ruger Security Six or Model 19 Smith. Would love to find a Ruger Speed-Six in stainless though.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I have carried Colt Troopers and S&W 19s, 66s, 686s, 629s, 329 in 3in, 4 in, and 5.5 in. All issue except the 44s. I shot on the department pistol team for a few years and nothing shot as well as the 686 that we carried. With the right ammo our guys did well with them in gunfights. So I will have to say a 686 4 in (round but) with a hand full of the Safariland Comp II speed loaders that we carried.
It is not the critic who counts
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

None of MY revolvers can fight worth a damsel in distress. What're ya'll feedin' yers that allow them to fight? And especially to be "the best...."?

I have a couple of revolvers that might make the grade if I was in a fight... S&W Mdl65, or one of several Colt SAAs. I have a coupla S&W top break pocket pistols that would be my last choice, but they'd be better than NOTHING! But, since they don't make speedi-loaders for the pocket pistols... I'd rather choose something else. That .32S&W "Lemon-Squeezer" MIGHT out class a knife... depending on just how big a knife we're talkin'!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

I have a 686 4" combat model that I bought for my son. He was going to sell it so I gave him his asking price and told him he could buy it back any time. I really like it. I bought my wife a 2" or 2 1/2" 686 and I can really tell the difference between the two with hotter 357 mag loads. I do much better with the 4".

As for actual carry I carry a PPKs that was spiffed up by Cyliner and Slide for concealed and a New Vaquero 45 Colt that was done by Clements for open carry. Recently I have been playing with a 50th 44 Mag that I carry in a El Paso 1942 Tanker. That is a great combination and a joy to carry on an ATV or when carrying a long gun.

If I were to have to choose one hand gun, revolver or auto, from my current stable for "combat" it would be my Kimber 1911. It is a Gold Match II stainless and it destroys what I am looking at over and over. For several years I have been using a Simply Rugged holster for it but after using the Tanker for the 50th I know I need one for the 1911. Over the years I have had several 1911s but this one is a keeper. In these days of plastic guns I am a bit of a throw back but John Browning's design has stood the test of time. In fact his designs give the test of time meaning. Furthermore, there is something about hurling 230 grain of American Diplomacy down range.

Dave
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

. Bwana Dave said...." For several years I have been using a Simply Rugged holster for it but after using the Tanker for the 50th I know I need one for the 1911."

Dave... I dont have the DOD manual... just remember that the "tanker" holster and a "cocked and locked" 1911 dont go together.

A couple of years ago I read of several Marines who experienced "negligent discharges" trying to draw 1911 pistols from the current version of the tanker holsters. The gist was that because of a lack of (or ingnoring) training these Marines were not packing the 1911 with an empty chamber-hammer down.

If your toting it on an ATV that tanker works good. I have one from Pacific Leather and Canvas and a 1911 that works like peas and carrots...just be careful and aware of what condition your pistol is in. I find it's very easy to slip the slide lock safety off (accidentally) in my holster.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Just for fun I will throw these in the mix. Nothing wrong with a old S&W M&P, they were light and handy to carry as was the old colt troopers. This trooper is in .38, but I carried a blue .357 like it for many years on my old security job.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'm a revolver man but nothing beats the 1911
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD