OT - Nature - hummingbird

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

OT - Nature - hummingbird

Post by Old Savage »

Not easy to get pic of hummingbirds.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Nature - hummingbird

Post by TedH »

So how much $ are you wanting for the little guy?
NRA Life Member
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

TedH wrote:So how much $ are you wanting for the little guy?

Yes, How much? Being posted in the classifieds, are you going into the hummingbird business? Sorry for the cheap shot. They are pretty little buggers. We planted certain perennials just to attract them. God Bless, 1886.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Great pics-----------O.S. :)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks mm, hmmm? I did put them there didn't I - don't know how to fix it now. Maybe Hobie can correct it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by silverbuzzard »

They are really tasty too! just kiddin.
Have them here in Indiana and we really enjoy them
Have been told to use 4 to 1 sugar water and not to use the red dye as it has a chemical in it that can kill them over time.
hocbj23
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hocbj23 »

perfect spot - sell the pics for 5 pesadas a shot and buy u a new levergun.Lol.bj
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

silverbuzzard wrote:They are really tasty too! just kiddin.
Have them here in Indiana and we really enjoy them
Have been told to use 4 to 1 sugar water and not to use the red dye as it has a chemical in it that can kill them over time.

Must be. I've got a tomcat that has a goal. To catch one of those things. Spends hours in a neighbors front yard by a bush that attracts them. Come close at least once while I was watching. Startled the darn thing so bad it flew up to a phone line and just sat there for about five minutes. One day he will succeed.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

You are right. Use no dye. Get feeders that had red plastic flowers instead. We use the flat ones that have a rail around it for the little guys to rest on. They give us hours of pleasure each day. Be sure to change the water often because it gets comtaminated from their beaks, can harbor bacteria. Also, boil it before mixing in the suger for their safety.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Doc Savage, that is a great shot, we have the Ruby throated here and they fight like crazy around the feeder that hangs in the kitchen window.

silverbuzzard, you are right about the feed mix, use 1/4 cup sugar to 1 cup water and no food dye.
OS, my grandson that we raised just graduated from Parker Chiropratic College in Dallas.
Last edited by JerryB on Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

They're migrating thru OK right now. We go thru about 2 quarts of juice a day and can have up to 25 of them at one time. For such a small bird they sure are ferocious when they try to defend their feeders.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Jerry B - what is his name. I know some folks from that class.

silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by silverbuzzard »

ya, they fight for control of our feeder too!
I guarrrantee you that a 22 bullet will stop that tom cat from chasin birds
We have same problem with racoons and cats. My 10-22 with 60 grain SSS Aquilas is great for that stuff
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

They are a blast to have around. before We put the feeders up a few years ago seeing one was a rare thing. Now it's common to see them all day all summer. Still had a few yesterday. This year for the first time We put up a feeder for Baltimore orioles and had several comeing to it as well. The Wifes cat needs some nerve pills when things are hoppin. :lol: .
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

OS my grandson is John Baird, He is going back there for this semester to finish a BS. He passed all the national finals with a score of over 500, only needed something like 300 something.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

My mother put out one of those feeders a few years back. She fed them same time every day. There would be 15 or 20 buzzing around waiting at that time every day. But if you were late, they would buzz your head and dart in and out of your face..letting you know they weren't happy you missed their feeding time. I never thought of them as aggressive before that, but they apparently can get pretty put off when it comes to their food.

Ed
silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by silverbuzzard »

was also told few years ago that when end of season comes DO NOT take feeder down while they are there. They will decide when to leave and then when you don't see em for several days take it down. Used to think that you should take em down to make em leave but thats not the case. Sometimes they stay here in northwest indiana until COLD freezing weather sets in into early Novembrrr!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

We have had them here when it was 2 degrees.

silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by silverbuzzard »

ok, more bad news
The sandhill cranes come over my house flying from Wisconsin south every fall. I live in Northwest indiana below lake Michigan so they curve around lake and stage south of me at Jasper/Pulaski state game preserve until weather gets cold and then off to Texas etc
Anyway Have lived here 52 of my 57 years and NEVER have they flown over before late late September but most are into October before fly over
They flew over 12 days ago on the 5th!!!!!!!!!! get ready for a early winter boys !