Pics from our Labor Day camping trip

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Pics from our Labor Day camping trip

Post by stew71 »

Sorry....no leverguns in this post....or guns for that matter. But I thought I'd share some photos of our camping trip last weekend. We spent the weekend at a place called Lawson's Landing in Dillon Beach, CA. It's situated among the dunes and fields at the entrance to Tomales Bay, about an hour north of San Francisco. About a 2 hour drive from Sacramento.

Here's the camper backed up to a cattle fence under a cypress tree...pretty good camp site actually. A bit windy and foggy the 1st day.

This is Tomales Bay off the dock at Lawson's....

Campsite and the local surroundings. As you can see in the background, the place was full for the weekend.

I did some abalone diving with our friend Mark and his wife Andrea about an hour north at a point called Ft. Ross. As you can see, we picked up some nice critters for the freezer and fry pan. The limit is 3 abs per diver, 3 in possession, 24 per year. I remember when the limit was 5 per day but 3 is plenty. Once you have your limit, you have to tag each one, just like a deer, and mark it on your tag book. Surprisingly, the new tag and limit laws appear to be helping the abalone population. I've never seen numbers like this in the past. Nice job, CaFish&Game.

Here's Mark on the surface in the kelp...

This one isn't that happy to be out of the water apparently. Making a break for it....

And here's our little cove....it's a rare day when the Pacific is calm enough to water ski on. Usually, there's a lovely swell and white water surf conditions. We found these ab about 200 yards offshore in about 10' of water on a shallow reef. One of the local game wardens told us about this spot and boy, was he spot on. Some of these ab are over 9".

Yours truly cleaning one of the abs for dinner...

Once you pop him out of his shell, cut away the gut sac and trim up the foot, you're left with a nice chunk of meat. Slice it nice and thin, pound it, then dredge the strips in egg and bread crumbs and drop in the fry pan for a few seconds until golden brown. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

The wives and kids went clam digging at low tide and we had 6 crab traps off the pier so in addition to the abalone, we had a real seafood feast with steamed clams, home-made clam & crab chowder, and BBQ's oysters. No roughing it this trip!!

Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Re: Pics from our Labor Day camping trip

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Wow......! I hate Oklahoma....! :wink:

What does abalone taste like,.fried clams.?

That is very cool.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Yes it does taste somewhat like clam. Similar texture too. Another method we use to cook abalone is to place the foot inside an old pants leg, and whack it a few times with a heavy skillet to tenderize it. Then put some garlic and butter on it and BBQ away!!
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Awesome. I like the living off the land (or sea), hunter gathering and enjoying the bounty of the work. thanks for sharing. mouth is watering! :mrgreen:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Man I miss being in California. Used to go diving for lobster every season boilem up on the beach in sea water and beer good eats right there. Never bothered with abalone I just never figured out the trick of prying them off the rocks but they are tasty. :D

Great pics looks like you all had a great time :mrgreen:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Could you do as well if you camped out in the High Cascade range of Oregon? Finding a stream full of oversized trout, maybe an elk that was tired of living?, a couple mule deer?, those could go on the grill too :lol: . If we are going into survival mode soon, I want to be near you!!, I'll look for mushrooms and you get the meat.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I've only had abalone out of the can, and it is goood. I imagine I am missing something truly special in not having fresh caught abalone. thanks for sharing the pics.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Fried abalone tops every kind of seafood I've ever eaten. I sure do miss it.. Last time I had any was about 1993... We fried some up at work on the weekend... Those size abs look like the ones we'd get back in the 60's when I was a kid... I Saw Fish & Game back then bust two Commercial ab divers for gross over limit.. Their boat was a metal WWII life boat of some type...maybe 30ft long...other than a few what nots and their SCUBA tanks it was all abalone and riding way low in the water.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Abs, love em'. I'll date myself and say we used to free dive and get legal ones. Today down south, forget it. Glad to see some places still have a halfway decent population.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad