OT (Automotive) - Horn quit working...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

OT (Automotive) - Horn quit working...

Post by RSY »

...on a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. Trying to track down the problem here. Not sure if it's the relay or the horn.

When the horn switch is depressed, the relay is audibly clicking. Does this mean its good, or can it still be bad? What about the horn, itself. I checked the connections and they appear to be good. At this point, I imagine it's replace the relay or the horn. Just not sure which.

Thanks, in advance.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT (Automotive) - Horn quit working...

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Disconnect the wire at the horn and check to see if power is getting there when the relay is engaged.
You will need a test light or multimeter to check it.
No power there its the relay,power there its the horn or possibly just a bad ground at the horn itself.
Good luck! :D
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

If you can hear the relay click when it is energized, chances are it is ok. It's possible that the contacts in the relay aren't sending the voltage through the circuit, though it would be unlikely with a relay that is rarely used, such as a horn relay. Use a test light or voltmeter and see if you have voltage at the horn when the relay is energized (with the horn button depressed). I'd bet you just have a bad horn.
NRA Life Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

where does the fuze come into play here - before or after the relay?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

rjohns94 wrote:where does the fuze come into play here - before or after the relay?

The fuse is in the circuit between the battery and the relay. It protects the horn relay coil circuit as well as the circuit to the horn itself. So if he can hear the relay clicking the fuse is good.
NRA Life Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

If the relay is clicking the problem is most likely either the horn itself or in the wireing between the horn and relay or a ground.

If you can get to the horn attach a ground wire to it then try it. If that don't work then hook both a ground wire and a hot wire directly to the battery. If it don't honk then the horn is dead.

I've had to diagnose a few dead horns.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Horns seem to be one of those things the automotive industry hasn't ever perfected. They go out a lot. It's probably the horn itself, but as suggested check it.
Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I learn so much on this forum. :o :shock:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
hocbj23
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hocbj23 »

We are a world of useless information.Lol.bj
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Or.....just get a bumper sticker that says "Horn not working, watch for finger".... Sorry guys.. the devil made me do it.. Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Les Staley wrote:Or.....just get a bumper sticker that says "Horn not working, watch for finger"....
That's funny.... :D
Old Law Dawg