Blackhawk question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Blackhawk question

Post by azmark »

Would a 4 5/8 in. Blackhawk be too big to be reasonably concealed under a loose, untucked shirt? I want a bigbore, but not a shrunken-down version. I know some autos are slim enough that they're not obvious underneath a shirt, but is a full-size revolver just too big for that?
Mark Dickinson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Blackhawk question

Post by TedH »

I would think a Blackhawk would be one of the most difficult handguns to conceal. Probably wouldn't find much for proper ccw type holsters either.

If your wanting a big bore, a Glock 36 is hard to beat for ccw. I switched to one a while back and it's my favorite carry gun.
Last edited by TedH on Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

For a lanky person not wearing 'fitted' clothes, it isn't hard to conceal a 7-1/2" Super Blackhawk, or a full-sized .45-ACP double-stacker. You won't fool a cop who suspects you may be armed (so don't do this if you don't have a valid CCW), and you probably wouldn't fool some gang/crook type trying to spot if you're packing, but you won't scare naive housewives or store owners, and the few others with enough knowledge of guns to suspect or realize you're packing won't care, most likely.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I carry a Colt SA 4-3/4" under my coat during hunting season. Correct holster and no problem. I don't try to carry anything under just a shirt. 5'8" and weigh 30 lbs too much.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I say to go for it if that is what you want. I carry a SAA Colt .45 5 1/2 inch in a Mernickle PS6SA. It is a high ride that carries great, you do need a good belt for it.

JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

You might be able to conceal it with a Mernickle holster.

picture from their website:

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/ps/ps6-sat3.html

Jack
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

No. Works right nice. You just need a holster that brings it in nice and tight to the body. The bulk of the cylinder is really all that much. And the grip tucks in kinda friendly like, what with it being somewhat rounded. Note how the previous two posters mention the Mernickle.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

I've been thinking of a 1911 or a P345 because I like .45 ACP. The 345 is supposed to be a good gun, and it's small enough to count as a concealable weapon. A 1911 is nice and narrow, and has enough weight to dampen the recoil of the .45. Concealment is not paramount, but might be nice sometimes. I just can't help that I LIKE BLACKHAWKS. I think the .45 Colt is a good round no matter what the naysayers may opine, too.

Boy, I wish I were rich and could just get everything I want :D
Mark Dickinson
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

AJMD429 ++++
"That'll Be The Day"
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

AJMD429 wrote:For a lanky person not wearing 'fitted' clothes, it isn't hard to conceal a 7-1/2" Super Blackhawk, or a full-sized .45-ACP double-stacker. You won't fool a cop who suspects you may be armed (so don't do this if you don't have a valid CCW), and you probably wouldn't fool some gang/crook type trying to spot if you're packing, but you won't scare naive housewives or store owners, and the few others with enough knowledge of guns to suspect or realize you're packing won't care, most likely.
+1 on this. I have often carried my Ruger Super with a 7.5" barrel like this...you have to work at it but it can be done. When it's really hot, not so easy but I think one could still manage. Those simply Rugged holsters look interesting.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

+ another - when I was younger I used to carry a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 7.5-inch barrel concealed. Just depends on your build, the holster, and the clothing. It can be done so that 90% of the people wouldn't know you are carrying. Very hard to conceal any handgun to those with "knowledgeable eyes"...
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I guess I'm just built wrong or have never had an appropriate holster for my Blackhawks. I look like I'm trying to shoplift a small microwave oven when I've tried to conceal one. :lol:
NRA Life Member
redlevel42
Levergunner 2.0

Post by redlevel42 »

It isn't the easiest thing to do, and wouldn't be comfortable for all-day carry, but I very frequently stick a 4 3/4 inch Vaquero in my waistband when running in a convenience store or gassing up at a self-serve pump late at night. It is a warm-fuzzy feeling to know I have 1500 grains of lead and 60 grains of Unique gunpowder at my immediate disposal if needed. It gives me almost as much comfort as the double-barrel 12 gauge with 00 buck right behind the truck seat does. Low tech is the way to go for oldsters such as myself.
Georgia On My Mind
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I would guess it would depend on wether you have that hollow above your belt to tuck that piece into. There are inside waistband holsters available. Me, I haven't seen that hollow place for probably 30yrs now!!!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Ease of access & deployment being another/different question, almost ANYTHING can be concealed, given a particular person's physical size, config, mode of dress, and method of concealment/carrying.
Where there's a will, there's a way.

To prove my point one day, and co-incidentally win the $10 we bet on it - I successfully concealed a full-sized 12ga SxS shotgun within my clothing.

After the debate/bet, I went home and got the shotgun, then returned to just outside the gunshop.
I then concealed it via thrusting the barrels down a pants-leg of my business suit with the buttstock under my armpit, covered by the suit jacket I was also wearing. (I was a professional salesman at the time)
( I am 6' tall, 250+ lbs)

I walked in, said "Howdy", and drew on my opponent/debators. They just paid up.

I guess they had forgotten about Whippet guns. ;) :mrgreen:

DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Hey guys, thanks for posting the pics of the Mernickle holsters. I really like the look of those, and they seem to be able to pull the revolver in pretty close to the body. Thanks again. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

From time to time I carry a .357 new model blackhawk or a .ruger new vaquero .45 cal in a skeleton quickdraw acp belt holster. It fits tight against your side and with a long shirt you can't tell it's their.
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

It seems to me I have seen a holster or two advertised in Dillon's Blue Press catalog for concealed carry of a Colt single action. Didn't say anything about fitting a Ruger Blackhawk. Looked good and from the pictures they appeared to carry the revolver High and Tight. Cannot remember make or name, price wasn't too bad either. Of course now that I am trying to find my copy of their catalog I cannot find it.Maybe someone on the board has their catalog. Good Luck. My father back in the 1920's and early 1930's always carried his Colt 44-40 tucked in his waist band, cross draw. But things were different then and he was just a slim young guy. Good Luck on your quest. Look up John Taffins' articles he has done some writing on a perfect packing pistol or two.
Senior Levergunner

Re: retired plain-clothes LEO

Post by 2571 »

Yes.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

ceb wrote:I would guess it would depend on wether you have that hollow above your belt to tuck that piece into. There are inside waistband holsters available. Me, I haven't seen that hollow place for probably 30yrs now!!!
You can still see it if you set a mirror on the floor and prop it up against the wall! :D
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

azmark, What are you going to do mostly with this gun? Is this just somthing once in a while you are going to use like that or are you looking for somthing that you will actually be using a lot wearing it concealed.If its big bore you are looking for and want a rugged Steel Framed Gun,its your money but I have to say the Compact 1911 .45s are the way to go.(now that coming from a guy that usually only carries a little 6oz .32) shows these 1911 compacts are very concealable.I have a good friend that bought one about 6 months ago its a new 1911 made by Charles Daily for around $500 (A-1 ECS Pistol, Blue .45ACP 3½")he brings it up to the club and I am very impressed with that gun(Big Bore/ ultra concealable)for a brand new steel framed gun for around $500, its a Steal! Good Luck! http://www.charlesdaly.com/1911.asp

If you have some more bucks allowed, get the compact Kimber Ultra or Pro Carry! :D
Last edited by madman4570 on Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

The Blackhawk WILL work, but a the 3 1/2" Vaquero works better. I especially like my Sheriff's model; nicest carrying gun I own.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well... with open carry in AZ, why?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

azmark wrote:I've been thinking of a 1911 or a P345 because I like .45 ACP.
1911 :D Be sneaky and concealed! :lol: :mrgreen: with a CCW of course! But in all honesty at least here in Pa,I think CCW is the way to go.There could be times that showing your gun like walking in on some crime instead of them maybe just restraining you etc,they probably will just shoot you if they see that gun?? Better you have that edge them not knowing!
Last edited by madman4570 on Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

azmark wrote:Would a 4 5/8 in. Blackhawk be too big to be reasonably concealed under a loose, untucked shirt? I want a bigbore, but not a shrunken-down version. I know some autos are slim enough that they're not obvious underneath a shirt, but is a full-size revolver just too big for that?
http://www.dmbullardleather.com/ can make you a very nice concealment holster for your Blackhawk.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Warhawk-- with that "Undercover" Model Holster for those short barreled singles they would work pretty good! That Company looks like real good stuff! I like it.
That for sure would work!
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

He lives here in the same town I do, but I don't own any of his work yet. I've seen him at gun shows and his holsters are top notch for sure.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

azmark wrote:Would a 4 5/8 in. Blackhawk be too big to be reasonably concealed under a loose, untucked shirt? I want a bigbore, but not a shrunken-down version. I know some autos are slim enough that they're not obvious underneath a shirt, but is a full-size revolver just too big for that?

It is no more of a problem than packing any other full-sized handgun, I've done it often.

I recall a time long ago when I had a 5.5" Super Blackhawk on my belt in a simple Uncle Mike's holster and was wearing nothing more than a light windbreaker as a cover garment, it was not even snapped shut. I was in the home of a friend who knew I was never unarmed, when I took off my jacket he and his wife goggled at the sight of the big Ruger on my belt. They'd been entertaining themselves trying to spot my handgun and had failed miserably. They thought that I must have nothing more than a small pocket pistol on me that evening.

The only problems you face are: selection of a good holster: selection of a good heavy belt that fits the belt sholts of the holster; learning to give due consideration of a cover garment; and learning how to move so as to minimized flashing your weapon. The same problems you'd fae packing a M-1911, or a K-frame S&W!

For the holster, I highly recommend Rob Leahy's Simply Rugged Pancake Holsters. These holsters fit perfectly, hold your revolver snugly, and most importantly hold the grip close into your body to prevent unsightly and tell-tale bulges. For the last 20 years or so, one of my most frequently used holstes has been a Bucheimer Concealer, it works as well for a 4.75" Italian SAA in .44 S&W SPecial as it does for a 4" S&W M-686.

Another holster option is shoulder holster. Unless you want to look out of place wearing a jacket through Arizona summers, ypu'll need to buy your shirts two or three sizes larger and wear it under your shirt. Snap-fronted Western-style shirts are great for this method. I can't recommend a shoulder holster or even a maker. Because in 30 years of trying different shoulder-holster designs, I've yet to find one that is comfortable for me, or if not uncomfortable was not painfully slow on the draw.

IMO a high-ride strong-side belt holster is the best choice. While I'm on my soapbox, let me say that I'm not fond of safety straps on a concealment holster. Your cover garment will slow your draw enough without having to fumble to disengage a safety strap. If you feel you must have a safety strap, a simple thumb=break is the way to go. A properly fitted holster should hold on to your gun even in you fall down a ditch bank or wrestle all over the yard with a drunk, even without a sfety strap.

As for belts, get one to fit the slots on your holster, the tighter the fit the less movement there will be. If you have a favorite belt, specify the width of the belt-slots when you order your holster. Your pistol belt should be of leather, at least 8-9 ounce leather and stiff. If you wear web belts, throw them in the Good Will box, they will allow your sixgun to wobble and wave like a drunk wearing stilletto heels. And fer cryin' out loud don't wear a danged horsehair belt like Jim Wilson, unless you are the sheriff and don't need to conceal your weapon.

As for cover garments, you won't need any advise for cold weather carry. Just be sure you have something that will cover you revolver even if you remove your jacket, coat, or parka (as weathe demands). For hot weather wear, IMO nothing even approaches a Guyaberra short for perfection as a cover garment. Just be sure to buy them a couple of sizes larger so it won't be pulled tight over your revolver.

When packing iron discretely you must always remember certain things. For example:

Never reach for something on a top shelf with your gunhand. Doing so can cause the hem of your cover garment to rise high enough to expose part or all of your weapon.

Even if you see a wad of $100.00 bills on the ground, don't bend over to pick it up. Kneel with your gun-side knee on the ground. Bending over from the waist will either expose your weapon or cause it to print through a light cover garment.

When seating yourself in a hardbacked seat, don't just plop down like a sack of corn meal. Sit slowly and gently. I can tell you from embarassing peronal experience, nothing in the world silences a noisy fast food joint any quicker than the loud "THUNK" of a gun butt hitting a hard plastic bench.

Just one more thing. If you are going to pack a single-action revolver as your main defensive weapon, carry a back-up pocket revolver. Unless you practice enough so you can be as fast as Jim Taylor, there is no way in the world you will be able to reload a single-action during a gunfight. Besides, the fastes reload is to draw a second weapon. I highly recommend the S&W Bodyguard Series and the S&W Centennial Series J-frame revolvers in your choice of .38 S&W Special or .357 Magnum. IMO, these are the very best pocket revolvers ever to hit the market. I like them so much I have one of each.

I suppose this is enough pontificating for one post. I'll end simply by saying that if you want to pack a Blackhawk for CCW, go for it. It can be done.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

Griff wrote:Well... with open carry in AZ, why?
Reason 1: Just because :mrgreen:
Reason 2: I want to start hiking in the mountains nearby, and I'd just as soon not have to listen to whiners (aka treehuggers) if I don't have to. Dang socialists!
Mark Dickinson
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

I've never had the Mernickle holster, but Simply Rugged makes a fine holster for this purpose as well.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Doc Hudson,

Well put; I have nothing to add, other than total agreement. I had to LOL at the "horsehair belt" comment; I love mine, but the darn thing's worthless. If you cinch it too tight, it cuts you in half. If you try to hang anything on it, it twists, flops, and causes you to get sore. Same for web belts.

On concealing fullsize handguns, I don't worry about it; my whole family shoots at least a little, but I'm about the only one that's into handguns. At Christmas a few years ago, I was carrying a (fullsize) Sig 220R in a Black Safariland kydex paddle holster. I was standing around BSing in the kitchen for hours before anyone noticed. (and someone noticing would have mentioned it) I wasn't keeping my arm in front of it, or standing in a corner. I was moving around the room, eating, drinking, etc., just like normal. No cover garment, shirt tucked in like a grownup should.
I've also worn my guns unconcealed while out and about, and rarely does anyone notice. Most assume I'm a cop if they do say anything. I keep my hair cut and maintain a neat, clean shaven appearance. People will tolerate nearly anything, if you just look and act right.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

edwardyoung wrote:I've never had the Mernickle holster, but Simply Rugged makes a fine holster for this purpose as well.

Could you please post pics of how this holster looks while it's worn?
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer