What is/was the most unusual firearm you've ever shot?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Re: What is/was the most unusual firearm you've ever shot?

Post by spaceman spiff »

The M-16 that was assigned to me during basic training.

I have shot many rifles since then and it remains the only one that was
automatic fire.

Regards,

Troy
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

JerryB - now wasn't that base plate fun? :lol:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

As a kid, I fired a friend's father's small cavalry cannon that he'd made in his machine shop. The cannon was about 25" long and sat on a gun carriage like an old civil war cannon. It shot 10 gauge rifled slugs and we fired it using a lanyard.

Other unusual firearms I fired were the 105mm main gun on my M-60A1 tank in Germany and the 90mm main gun on my M-48A3 tank in Viet Nam. But my all time favorite unusual firearms was my 'Ma Duce' (M-2 50 cal machine gun) of the M-48A3 followed by closely the M-85 50 cal machine gun mounted on my M-60A1 I shot as the Tank Commander. They were a ton of fun!!! :mrgreen:
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I'd forgotten....... 75mm pack howitzer firing the full power blank (10ga inside a 75mm shell).

I went to New Mexico Military Institute, they fired half-power blanks for the morning and evening gun, saved fullpowers for parades, etc. One day they decided to crank off a full power and i was around, so I got to yank the lanyard. :)
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

MrMurphy - NMMI! Wife and I attended graduation ceremonies there this past May for daughter and son of our very closest friends. Daughter graduated the NMMI post secondary school program and now enrolled at Norwich Univ. in Vermont and the son from the NMMI secondary school program and now enrolled at Univ. of OK. I lived in Roswell in the mid-1970's and always thought very highly of the Institute.
Last edited by GoatGuy on Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

60mm Morter! OOOOOORAH!

:twisted:
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Well, I was a member of Delta Troop, 3rd Squadron of the Nine Million Marching Idiots for a year (all of '96) but time was bad (Clinton in office) so i didn't continue with the program and commission. The big 75mm out front of Hagerman barracks is the one I fired.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I do have that little cannon I built a while back. It has an 0.875" bore with a 40 pound barrel. I can't believe I don't have a picture of it. I'll have set the carriage up and remedy that.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

OS, now a range session with my M1 makes me glad I am in Arkansaw and not in those California mountains. I don't reckon I could hold that base plate and an M1 let alone climb those high ridges out there.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

"Hitler's Buzz Saw", an original German MG-42 in 8x57. Man those things rip! Went through a 50 rd. belt in just a couple of seconds.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Mokwaw wrote:It would have to be OI's Howda pistol. One ounce lead ball pushed by several grains of BP, looked very intimidating but not as bad as expected. Big clouds of smoke, couldn't see if I hit the target or not.

Same here! That's one cool freakin' shooter!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Does a Carl Gustaf 84mm antitank rocket launcher count?

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Mac 10 and 30 cal browning 1919. The Mac 10 took you 10 minutes to load a magazine and 2 seconds to empty it. I wasn't that impressed with it. The browning was very accurate with iron sights shooting at 200 yards.
Scrateshooter
Levergunner

Post by Scrateshooter »

JerryB wrote:At Fort Ord in 1958 I fired a BAR, a Browning Light 30cal machinegun, 81mm mortar, 57 recoiless rifle and the 50cal. spotting rifle on the jeep mounted 106. I carried the base plate for that 81 all over the mountains at Hunter Ligget. I did own a nice old Springfield trapdoor 45-70, an 1886 45-70, and a Remington rollingblock in 7mm that was sweet to shoot.Oh well they were fun while I had them.
Wow Grandpa!!!

I remember humping a baseplate for the mortar as well as the tripod for the M2 up and down the mountains of Camp Pendleton.
"Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand." Revelation 1:3
Bucks Owin
Levergunner

Winchester Model 95 in "Teddy's" caliber!!!

Post by Bucks Owin »

My dad was a certifiable gun nut, always swapping for new "toys". I remember when I was around 12 yrs old he came into possession of a M-95 Win in .405 WCF. He managed to come up with a dozen or so empty cases from somewhere and put together some rounds for it. I had twice fired his M-70 "Alaskan" .338 mag the previous year so I figured I was "man enough" to burn some powder in that old .M-95. Well, I lined up on an empty soda can about 50 feet away, closed my eyes and jerked the trigger missing by a foot or two. The ol' man gave me a "somewhat disgusted" look and suggested trying again so I squeezed one off like I'd been taught. I made sure I redeemed myself with a hit because I didn't want to fire the dang thing anymore! That M-95's curved steel buttplate bruised me up a little, I thought it socked me harder than his .338, but I was a happy 12 yr old 'cause the old man grinned, clapped me on the back and said I'd done OK.....I guess a year or so later, the .405 got traded off. It's barrel had been amputated at some point before dad got it and it was in kinda rough shape otherwise I'm pretty sure he would have kept it........
Last edited by Bucks Owin on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I spent a considerable amount of time firing a HK VP-70 i was considering purchasing. I couldnt find a pic on photobucket to post, but it was the first "super capacity" polymer 9mm -- i thought it was 18 rounds -- i was considering purchasing it in the early 90's for 300 bucks -- but was skeptical and bought a glock instead
Looked like a "space gun" from some 50's sci-fi comic book

Should have bought it as a curiosity, but i was 23 or 34 years old at the time and it wasnt in my budget to own a "curiosity"

Around the same time frame, i spent a bit of time with a Beretta 93-r, which was their model 92 with a burst fire feature -- lots of fun :lol:

----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:mrgreen: Just the everyday, mundane LAWs, M60, M79, MaDuce, M16s and stuff......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

It has been my pleasure to be allowed to shoot a wide variety of weapons over the years. It helps to have friends all over two continents who share a love of firearms. Custom guns of one type or another always crop up and the wildcats should count as "unusual". Mic McPherson's Marlin varmint gun in some improved version of the 17 Remington (forgive me Mic - I don't recall the variation's name) is one I fired earlier this year. An original Springfield trapdoor is unusual any more too. But the one that sticks in my mind is the 480 Achilles. It was in a fairly common Colt SAA clone - but was reamed to the 480 chamber and re-barreled to .475". I was the third person other than the builder to fire it. Talk about a real hoot! There's something about a widenosed nearly half inch diameter slug at a moderate velocity that gets in my blood. :) It took out a couple of dangerous hedge apples, providing a beautiful spray of hedgeapple guts all over the place. I've wanted one of my own ever since. The 510 Achilles I got to shoot earlier this year is more of the same - only more so. We didn't have any charging hedge apples to shoot but had a hoot with it anyway.

Now if it's the firearm itself - my custom built muzzle loading pistol made by a backwoods gunsmith in Brazil with a barrel made from an old Willys Jeep steering column and the brazing done with 22 shells and a hand made, one off action that strikes the nipple that's screwed into the rear of the barrel instead of the side - that'd probably qualify as "most unusual" as there's only one like it in the world.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

1. 8mm Berthier Carbine manufactured by REMINGTON. Not sure where my friend who owned it got the ammunition, but he used Balle D projectiles he pulled from old french ammo. I was surprised at how powerful the gun was. And amazingly, even with the tiny little adjustable sights it was quite accurate--a 2" group at 50 yards.

2. Stoner 63. I met a guy at BMAC machine gun shoot who owned one. He said it was worth more then his house. I fired a 50-round burst. Made me want one REAL BAD. The M249 seemed like a Ford Pinto in comparison. :D
Hairy Clipper
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hairy Clipper »

The most unusual that I have shot was a custom built four gauge caplock elephant gun!(or anything gun) Wicked, wicked recoil. Four ounce round ball, four ounces of powder. At six foot four inches and 300+ pounds I was very surprised when it nearly put me on my back side. Recoil caused a small loss of blood on my middle finger of the trigger hand...perhaps that triggerguard was not a good idea on this one.
This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok!-Mathew Quigley
DarryH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DarryH »

Japanese Baby Nambu service pistol (Model 1904)
a rare semi-auto only issued to General Officers.
caliber was 7MM Nambu
The ammo is very expensive, so I sold it.

Good Shootin!!
DarryH
cpt Dan Blodgett
Levergunner

Post by cpt Dan Blodgett »

Torn between the spotting rifle (50 Cal short) on a 106 recoiless rifle or the German 1980s vintage panzer faust. Much like our 90 mm recoiless a real lauten boomer.
SASS #75655
"Follow Me"
muleequestrian
Levergunner

Post by muleequestrian »

Other than all the small arms I shot while in the Marines ( including the artillery I was in )... as a civilian, I'd say the Ljungman AG-42 in 6.5 X 55, or the Egyptian version 8mm Hakim that I owned. Or maybe the .577 Snyder Enfield carbine - a converted P 53 CW rifle that now uses brass cartridges, instead of black powder and musket caps.

I used to be a re enactor in CW artillery... so does a full scale 10 pound Parrot count for an unusual firearm ? I yanked the lanyard on those things quite a bit.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

muleequestrian wrote:Other than all the small arms I shot while in the Marines ( including the artillery I was in )... as a civilian, I'd say the Ljungman AG-42 in 6.5 X 55, or the Egyptian version 8mm Hakim that I owned. Or maybe the .577 Snyder Enfield carbine - a converted P 53 CW rifle that now uses brass cartridges, instead of black powder and musket caps.

I used to be a re enactor in CW artillery... so does a full scale 10 pound Parrot count for an unusual firearm ? I yanked the lanyard on those things quite a bit.
Image Welcome to THE Forum!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Mokwaw wrote:It would have to be OI's Howda pistol. One ounce lead ball pushed by several grains of BP, looked very intimidating but not as bad as expected. Big clouds of smoke, couldn't see if I hit the target or not.
+1 That thing is just way to much fun :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Griff wrote:
muleequestrian wrote:Other than all the small arms I shot while in the Marines ( including the artillery I was in )... as a civilian, I'd say the Ljungman AG-42 in 6.5 X 55, or the Egyptian version 8mm Hakim that I owned. Or maybe the .577 Snyder Enfield carbine - a converted P 53 CW rifle that now uses brass cartridges, instead of black powder and musket caps.

Image Welcome to THE Forum!
Yes welcome there are a few of us Jar Heads on here.
Other then my previous post the oddest weapon I ever fired is the M3P .50cal Machine gun found on the Avenger weapons system. It is an electronically fired version of the M2 but is capable of 1200 rounds a minute. That thing will really tear stuff up. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't know if a T.O.W. missile would fit in this group, but I fired one from a hammerhead unit on top of an APC, and one from a pintle mount on a HMMWV. If not, then the M60 on a mount in the door of a UH1 Iriquois (also known as a slick) while going about 90 miles per hour in the training area on Ft. Bragg. My son was given the chance to fire a Mac10 at a gun range. He was 8 years old, and loved it. I liked the HK MP5 that I was allowed to shoot a magazineful from better.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

When I was about 10 I was at the police range with my dad who was deputy M.E. so they let him in to shoot his M36 S&W. While there they limbered out an old German Bergman (I think) 9mm sub gun. I got to fire off a few round in that. Pretty cool at the time.

Thompson, M3, and an MP5. The MP5 was the best IMHO.

Most unusual was when I was helping out on a CW canon crew. Maybe I'll get one of those some day. I really liked the brass 12 pounder I saw at a reenactment one time. When that thing went off the vibrations set off car alarms in the parking lot 400 yards away.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

For me, it's a tossup between a 75mm recoilless rifle and a Gyrojet pistol Opposite ends of the same sort of "spectrum" you might say...

Man, THAT takes me back some YEARS...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...