Leverevolution .45 LC ballistics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RickTinsley
Levergunner

Leverevolution .45 LC ballistics

Post by RickTinsley »

Anyone happen to know where I can get rifle ballistics tables for the Leverevolution .45 LC?

The Hornady site only has pistol velocity/energy tables...no ballistic trajectory info.

I want to use my 1892 for deer hunting this year and I was wondering what the rise at 50yds and drop at 75 or 100yds would be.

Thanks.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Leverevolution .45 LC ballistics

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Rick, this is just a guess on my part....I'm figuring 1250 FPS with a carbine barrel (18") and a BC of .180. Ran these #'s through the Hornady ballistic calculator. Zero is for 75 yds. Use this link to see the results.........

http://www.hornady.com/cgi-bin/ball10.c ... =Calculate

Someone will have more insight about this.

Hope it helps, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
RickTinsley
Levergunner

Post by RickTinsley »

Wow! Thanks for the speedy reply. It looks like if I keep it within 100yds i will be A-OK.

I appreciate your efforts.

Rick
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Rick, your best bet is to chronograph that load out of YOUR rifle to get a definative answer. It may be alot faster than that. Resulting in a flatter trajectory and more energy. Have fun and good luck this year! Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Not to change the subject but if you handload a 250 grain bullet with Ruger data, you'll get a much flatter trajectory (yes, even with standard XTP's for example) and be able to extend your range out some... Just a thought.

Or if you don't handload, then go with a +P loading from Buffalo Bore, Corbon, etc.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think you could do better with 300 grainers. My .45 Colt carbine does. However, within 100 yards you should be just fine!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RickTinsley
Levergunner

Post by RickTinsley »

I appreciate the tips. I do not reload at this time. I have a Dillon press all set for .44 but haven't used it in years and haven't gotten around to ordering the .45 Colt dies. The switch to .45 is a relatively new phenomenon.

Going to look at the Cor-Bon site now.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rick,

Earlier this year at the Indiana get together I shot a group with the Leverevolution ammo from my .45 Colt Marlin. It's sighted in for 9.0grs Unique and a 265gr Keith SWC.

I was tired at the end of the day, but I fired 6 rounds offhand at 100 yards. All six hit about the same place as the other load. The group size was pathetic, but that was tire old me not the load.

I'm fairly sure that even though they are a lighter bullet, they'll hit pretty close to the same as a 255gr to 265gr bullet at 100 yards.

I'll know more when I can shoot some from the bench.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

PMC makes +P+ .45 Colt rounds (45HA) that are loaded with 300 gr JSP Hornady bullets. Advertised velocity is 1250 fps at the muzzle for a revolver.

I got 1150 fps out of my 5 1/2" Vaquero. I don't remember using the chrono on my 1892 Jap rifle, but 1450 sticks in my brain for some reason. I use a buckhorn sight and have taken mule deer at 90 and 150 yards before. I think 150 is a little far for the round and my aging eyes, but I couldn't resist the nice buck. The 90 yard muley never knew what hit as the bullet did a thru and thru.

Last time I bought some of this ammo it was $30 for a box of 50 and is head-stamped +P+. It's great for busting armadillos and porcupines, too.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
RickTinsley
Levergunner

Post by RickTinsley »

You guys are great. Thanks for the info.

I really want to use this weapon to bag a buck as I am totally in love with the look, feel, and even though it is a repro, history.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D That's what it's all about brother.....treat others as you wish to be treated and enjoy a simpler time in life through the use of leverguns. Thanks, Tom

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I've looked online and can't find that PMC +P+ ammo for sale anywhere. The demand may not have been high enough. The box has plenty of warnings not to use it on older or weaker guns.

I will say that it is most unpleasant to shoot in my Vaquero. The bottom of the grip bites into your palm pretty good. It is an absolute joy to shoot in my 1892 repro with the 24 inch barrel, and it cycles through the action just fine.

I have not tried the LeverEvolution in my .45 Colt. I have tried it in my 1886 .45-70 and it chrono-ed at 1960 fps, as opposed to the 2050 listed on the box.

I hunt mule deer in MT (and am using my 1886 this year), but I plan on using the .45 Colt rifle on whitetails in my back pasture this year. My longest shot will be under 100 yards, and I have complete confidence in the round and rifle at that range.

Happy hunting :!:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle