What was it????

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

What was it????

Post by Mike-in-WV »

I'm soon to be 62 and when I was a kid I was raised in a small farm town community where everyone had a gun rack in there trucks full of guns and that even included us kids who were students still in school and had our old trucks parked in the school parking lot.
Anyway, one Saturday a friend of mine drooped by my Mom and Dads house to do a little shooting with me and Dad. He had a little lever action carbine that he bought from some old guy and if I remember right he was shooting what looked like little .32 pistol ammo and they may have been BP because I remember they looked old. It was an accurate little thing and I fell in love with it. I was trapping at the time and all I could think of was how great it would be to carry it on my trap line. I do remember offering him twice what he paid for it back then but he turned me down, he loved it too! :) Anyone have any idea what it was and what caliber. Mike
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Can't help with your levergun, but the story reminded me that I used to take my.22 rifle with me to school and lay it in a mesqute bush.
Pick it up after school and go hunting.
Try that today!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Marlin Model 92 in .32 Colt?

In my day we just kept the shotgun in the car and went hunting after school. Heck, I was asked to kill the ground hogs taking up residence in the new school's new foundation backfill... We'd shoot right down the school wall.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

You serious?
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

32WCF 32-20
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

When I was a teenager, a number of us would keep our shotguns in cars or trucks to hunt after school was out. Never a problem. In fact, I would often keep my compound bow with hunting arrows in quivver in my locker. I'd walk home through some woodlands in the hopes of catching a deer by surprise. It was a different day in our nation.
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

In Junior high we would take our guns to school and place them in our lockers along with a box of shells and our hunting clothes on opening day. Back then Rabbit, Pheasant, Quail and Grouse season opened on a Monday. They would let us out at noon and several of the teachers would go hunting with us in the farm fields behind the school. One teacher raised rabbit hounds and he would always bring them along. It was great and no one ever got shot and we all wore brown car-hart hunting pants and jackets or vest. We never heard or seen hunters orange back then,Lol.
Sure wish someone knew what that leaver gun was, It has bugged me for years trying to find out and he died years ago of Cancer and his wife sold all his guns before I could ask her if she still had it. Oh well, Someone will know . Mike
crawdaddyjim
Levergunner 2.0

Post by crawdaddyjim »

I would second Hobie on the diagnoses.
ImageImageImage
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'm third with Hobie--There is a slim possibility it was a gun chambered for the 32-20 and the guy was shooting 32 S&W's short or longs out of it, which it will do, but won't feed 'em from the mag. . A 32-20 will even fire 32 acp but won't eject 'em.-------------Sixgun
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

You guys may be right about the 32-20 or 32 Colt. It sure ws a great little gun! Wish I could find an old one at a price I could afford. Mike
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Didn't Marlin make a run of .32-20?

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sounds like a 32-20 to me also.

I remember when I was in 9th or 10th grade walking into my principal's office with my .32-20 "high capacity" lever action rifle, and asking if he would keep it in the office safe for me during afternoon classes. (I'd picked it up from the gun shop over lunch.)

He just looked up and said "Why don't you just put it in your locker?" I replied that my locker was one of the short (half-height) ones, and he said, "Don't you have any friends with tall lockers?" I said I really didn't want to leave an expensive gun in someone else's locker. He then said "Well, just take it to class with you, then." But then I said "I have drafting, and you know how THOSE guys get." (It was a rowdy bunch.)

Finally, he relented, and kept it in the safe for me that afternoon.

That was in the early 70's, in a high school only 30 miles out of Indianapolis, and about 1,600 students total.

Now, my daughter calls me in a panic because she forgot and left her unpacked suitcase from our Christmas vacation in the back seat of her car, and realized it had a Leatherman tool in it, so she has a "knife" on school property.

The public schools should be eliminated.

Anyway, [back to topic!] - in that old .32-20, we also shot I think .32 S&W's, just because a friend had bunches of them and they didn't blow up (our great knowledge of firearms was that if it didn't blow up the first time, it was 'probably safe' - and 'probably safe' was good enough...!)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "