OT: Taurus Revolver Strength

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
10gaOkie
Levergunner

OT: Taurus Revolver Strength

Post by 10gaOkie »

Just wondering if the Taurus Raging Bull in 45LC is as strong as the Ruger Blackhawk in 45LC? In other words, will the Taurus handle +P reloads?
I know I can solve this by buying another Taurus in 454 Casull but don't want to do that if not necessary.
10ga
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

I KNOW OF A TAURUS RAGING BULL 454 THAT LASTED EXACTLY 13 ROUNDS. IT WAS REPLACED AND SOLD INSTANTLY THEREAFTER.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Post by nralover »

Terry Murbach wrote:I KNOW OF A TAURUS RAGING BULL 454 THAT LASTED EXACTLY 13 ROUNDS. IT WAS REPLACED AND SOLD INSTANTLY THEREAFTER.
Wow- kinda scary :shock:
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

Speaking from my experiance , I do not believe the Taurus revolvers are worthy of hot loads.

I do like the Taurus guns, and own many. I will continue to buy more, but not for hot loads.

One of the best Taurus revolvers I owned was a titanium Tracker in 41 magnum. With a red dot sight, it shot like a laser beem, and was fast. Unfortunately, it only lasted about 2,000 rounds. The front of the cylinder MELTED!

This was with my handload, a 215 gr cast lead over unique for a 5% maximum reduced load.

It still shot well enough to hunt with, but not good enough for me. I gave it to a good friend, and she still shoots it with no complaints.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i bought a tarus 669 when it first came out. over the years, i put a lot of hot loads thru it, plenty of buffaloe boar 180gr., in case i ever make it to alaska for kodiak bear. it shoots 148gr. .38 wadcutters with better accuracy than i'm capable of. let an expert shoot it and the groups were unreal. so far,so good. guns still tight.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Hey,
Can we have some more input here.
I was thinking of a Taurus Tracker in .44 mag for when I retire.
Black bear country, carry it a lot , shoot it a little
Timothy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Timothy »

I didnt know taurus offered the raging bull in 45colt is it a five shot?
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

I bought a Taurus .22lr 9shot revolver that did nothing but jam. It went back to Taurus and they adjusted the barrel, the cylinder yoke and replaced the cylinder.

With issues like that I don't plan on ever buying another Taurus.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Taurus did in fact offer the RB in 45 Colt for a short time. My FFL dealer in San Diego had one. I don't know if they were a 5 or 6 shot. If a 5 shot, I would say yes, it can handle the Ruger loads. If its a 6 shot, it most likely can. Terry, I also had an ealier generation 454 RB that did not hold up. It was replaced by Taurus with a new speciman that was evaluated by Jim Stroh, a recognized pistol-smith expert who did the trigger/action work on the first one. The replacement pistol was "a different animal" according to Jim, and he test-fired the new one with loads I don't even want to repeat. The gun still shoots like a house-afire, and is very accurate (and has the one of the best trigger jobs I own).

I think the early ones had trouble, but Taurus upgraded their tooling, and the new ones are very nice. But it pays to be careful and hand-inspect the ones you buy as Taurus' quality control is iffy.

-Tutt
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

I've never owned a Taurus because stories like those posted here persist.
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

Cutter: please more info on the cylinder problem,
I just purchased a 41 mag titanium, Really like the way the
gun shoots, If there is a wear issue I would sight it in with a good
reasonable load and use it as a light weight 'wood' carry gun vs target shooting,
Any Pictures? Thanks..
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

oldmax wrote:Cutter: please more info on the cylinder problem,
I just purchased a 41 mag titanium, Really like the way the
gun shoots, If there is a wear issue I would sight it in with a good
reasonable load and use it as a light weight 'wood' carry gun vs target shooting,
Any Pictures? Thanks..

I do not have pictures, but I may be able to get them.
The cylinder is sleeved with what appeared to be stainless steel. The material around the sleeves is what 'melted'.

You know how a muzzle looks after a day of shooting, with the star shaped fouling? The cylinder had somewhat the same wear pattern melted/burnt on the front side. I do not know if it affected the acuracy, but I was worried about the sleeves coming out of the cylinder.

It was, and may still be, a fine revovler. The volume of shooting may have done it in? I'm not sure if the entire pistol was really titanuim, or if it had a titanium coating. The cylinder looked like aluminum to me.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I've own my model 94 9 shot 22RF for close to 20 years, and my model 44 44 magnum for 10, the model 44 has been flawless, the 22 at first had a 30% misfire rate in DA mode and the rear sight wanders right with each shot even dryfire so sent her back to Taurus and 3 weeks later got her back with new rear sight and new hammer spring, she has been 100% ever since. I know I gun should be 100% at time of purchase but these things sometime happen. My next door neighbor bought his 454 Raging Bull about 10 years ago also and it has been good to him these past years. Before my Taurus I bought a Super Blackhawk and this thing though it worked looked terrible with grind marks EVERYWHERE and a ill fitting loading gate that would not close all the way, looked like stuff but it still worked so I could not return this special order piece. Maybe I was nitpicking but I expected more from Ruger but got it from Taurus.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have related this here before, I have some extended family that just ain't right.in fact border on the extreme and one has shot hundreds of +P rounds through his Raging Bull .454. to my suprise the gun still shoots very well. for them it's all about power. I choose to stand back and off to the side. :D .Jim.
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

Cutter, Thanks for the info.......

My gun seems a little loose in the crane, debating if I should return it to
Taurus,
Mat just work up some reloads than make it a Hunting carry gun.
Keep shooting to min,
I will be watching the cylinder face.
thanks again..
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Terry Murbach wrote:I KNOW OF A TAURUS RAGING BULL 454 THAT LASTED EXACTLY 13 ROUNDS. IT WAS REPLACED AND SOLD INSTANTLY THEREAFTER.
So what's your point? That's one gun out of how many thousand made and sold?

Taurus makes a pretty good gun. They are very popular especially with the escalating cost of guns today.

Some people just can't help but put the Taurus line down because they say they are cheap copies of S&W. Maybe that's how they started but I don't think that's the case today. I see lots of Taurus' in the field and at the range these days.
ED
Yer never too old
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

i have a model 65 in 38/357 and so far it's been as reliable as an anvil. accur4ate, too. i did install a lighter hammer spring from wolff gun springs.

i would not part with it.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Yep, I've got a little blued Taurus Model 85 CH (bobbed hammer, double action only) 2" Barrel in .38 S&W Special that has had over 1000 rounds of Remington +P 158gr Lead HP ammo through it withoug one hitch. Still as tight today as the day I bought it. I haven't had it out of my gun-safe for the last two years (except for an occasional wipe down with an oiled cloth) but it is laying there and could be put into use in seconds.
ED
Yer never too old