Computer help needed please

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Computer help needed please

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

My main computer died when I tried to hook it back up after some remodeling of the room.

I am using my old machine and have no anti virus program on it that is up to date.

Can anyone give me a link to a free download for protection.

I don`t want to search the net for fear of getting a bug. Thanks
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Computer help needed please

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

AVG free version is pretty good. Hope it helps, Tom

http://www.avg.com/
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Chuck,

Try AVG http://free.avg.com/homepage-appf8
We have used it for some time with decent results.

Mrs J M
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

I was an AVG guy until it let me down a couple of months ago by letting in a bug that required me to nuke my boot drive. No big deal as everything is backed up and computer stuff is what I do to supplement my retirement. One of the IT guys I work with suggested AVAST! (free) which I installed. First thing AVAST! does after installation is a whole system scan on a re-boot. It found 3 other Viruses (viri?) on other hard drives in my personal desktop which AVG had missed. I was ticked at AVG! Anyway, been using AVAST! for 2 month and it hasn't let me down yet.

AVAST! Link

They're going to email you a "registration key", but its all completely free.

(Speaking of anti-virus programs, here's a tip. Have you ever had Norton Anti-Virus (Symantec) or Mcafee A/V installed on your machine? Removing them through Control Panels will not completely remove them. Go to Symantec or Mcafee and download a free removal tool to completely clean them out of your registry. You just might find that you'll get a few more MPH out of your machine.)
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I'll second the Avast recommendation. I've had it on my home computer for 2 years now with no major issues since switching. *knock wood*
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

+++++++1 on Avast !! Great ,FREE software !!! Did I say FREE ????
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I use the Shield Deluxe and Kapersky (work and home). No problems with either, and they do the usual catching of spyware, screening of email, etc.

I also like Registry Fix for keeping my machines FAST.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Guys, check this out.(please dont laugh :lol: :lol: ) I just loaded that Avast and she is working as we speak.Now I am one for keeping things forever as long as they are serving me well! :lol: Though we have several other computers in the house(Daughters/wifes etc) my baby is the only one "I ever use" and ready for this------ She is a sweet 1998 Dell Inspiron 500LC-- Oh ya baby, a Celeron 20Gig Hard drive with 500Meg ram(all these years and I have used 9Gig and have 9 Gig left. :lol:got the 11 year old Sony Trinitron CRT too. :roll: Guess what lately even RoadRunner Anti Virus booted me off because of not supporting Windows 98,AVG too :lol: but this Avast supports it. Thanks for the info as I am hoping to get another 11 years out of this 20Gig Celeron Mega wonder. My old man did not raise no fool and taught me to not mess with it if it aint broken and make her last. :lol: As my wife says Boy are you CHEAP! :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Thanks guys ! I down loaded AVG but will be looking into
Avast to see if that is the one I would rather have. :D
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essen ... fault.aspx

I'm an IT professional. Microsoft this week released a FREE antivirus/anti-spyware/anti-malware tool. As long as you are using Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and have a license, it is FREE.

We have been using McAfee for years at work, and are finding this tool is able to remove some of the malware/spyware that McAfee has not been cleaning. I really am liking this tool.

An aside, it has ACTIVE protection, and will prevent your PC from getting most spyware/malware.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

THANK YOU GUYS FOR RECOMMENDING THE AVAST!!! I've been using the AVG free version, but my computer seemed to be getting really slow the last few months. I did a scan with AVG, got rid of the spyware and stuff it found, then downloaded the Avast. It found three virus/worms that AVG never did! Got that cleaned up and now zoom zoom! My old 'puter is very noticably faster now!
NRA Life Member
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

This may be impractical for you at this point, but when it comes time to get a new computer, I'd recommend a Mac. I'm a heavy user, use it literally all over Canada, the USA and the UK, on all sorts of networks, and I never worry about viruses. I have not had virus protection for more than 15 years on any of my Macs, and some of them are hooked up to the internet 24-7. There is really no comparison between a PC and a Mac.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I opened my big mouth too quick it died!
creosote
Levergunner

Post by creosote »

I also get by on the cheap side with my PC, I haunt the two thrift -charity stores we have in our little town,always on the lookout for used
towers, the nice thing about the PC is that most everything snaps in and out ,with maybe a small screw to hold it down, as long as I have an active internet connection I can muddle through and have a new to me computer up and running in a pleasant afternoon or two.
Recently though I have been getting the supply of old towers crimped by the "Ewaste" regulations , monitors are no longer sold in the charity stores and the only components they have are bins full of pretty much useless floppy drives and cables.
I have tried at differrent times to swap off gun stuff for old computers and strangely gotten little response, I would think many people on gun forums have all kinds of niffty computer towers and laptops in different stages of disrepair they would be glad to exchange for a gun project or two.
But like I said there is very little response when I offer guns for computers.
Creosote
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

:shock: :o This wireless desktop is driving me nuts
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Cleaned out a bunch of stuff last night lost all my email/internet setting on my old one!
am typing quick before this darn computer gets knocked off wireless.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Ok, I got ticked and ripped everything apart and dragged the Dell with XP Pro Downstairs.I think I am taking the 20gig cpu outside at the summer place shoot her with several 45-70s and give her a decent burial! Still using the trinitron monitor but will change that and printer soon!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

madman4570 wrote:Ok, I got ticked and ripped everything apart and dragged the Dell with XP Pro Downstairs.I think I am taking the 20gig cpu outside at the summer place shoot her with several 45-70s and give her a decent burial! Still using the trinitron monitor but will change that and printer soon!
If all you are doing is going on the net and a few other mundane household tasks, go to WallyWorld or Best Buy and get an E Machine.

I've been using AVG pay version for a couple years (after they would not let me renew the free version for the third time) and have been happy with no problems. I will check out AVAST after the AVG subscription runs out.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Good advice,Do you like laptops or desktops
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

madman4570 wrote:Good advice,Do you like laptops or desktops
If that was directed to me, I have never had a laptop. Unless one needs the portability, they are more expensive for what you get for your money. I'm not sure how much usful software you get with EMachine, so that could add to the cost.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Blaine Thanks I will check em out. Right now this will be ok cause the daughter is at college and she really only uses her Dell 1525,but the wife now wants a new one. Thanks!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

madman4570 wrote:Blaine Thanks I will check em out. Right now this will be ok cause the daughter is at college and she really only uses her Dell 1525,but the wife now wants a new one. Thanks!
It scares me when people take my advice, so just to reiterate, this is a bare bones machine. If you do graphics or games, you may not be totally satisified.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Guys,maybe it is my service provider but that Avast gave both my computers problems.The First one sat. I made sure I got rid of my other anti-virus first but when I installed the email scan/protection deal on Avast it the VRDB(Virus Recovery data Base/and that Access Scanner it slowed my older computer way down and removed my internet access/and email and went into the constant Scanning mode saying nothing detected, which Today it wiped out everything???? I thought I must of hit the delete files for the internet etc. but after this second newer Dell 160gig 2gig ram pentium it almost did the same thing before I stoped it.I had AVG 8.0 but instead of putting 8.5 on it I removed the AVG 8.0 and tried the Avast????? Again maybe its just my service provider issue where I live.Anyway after a couple hours got stuff back online and installed AVG Free 8.5(works great)maybe its just me not knowing enough about what I am Doing! :lol:
Last edited by madman4570 on Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Thanks for the help guys, The main computer is up and running and only $25 (BUX)!! :D

I don`t know what he did but last time it was in the shop it cost me over $400 :x

The kid is good and came to the house. He used to work with my wife. She kinda adopted him. :D

Oh by the way, the last time the old box was used was 2007 and it took 2 hours to download all the microsoft updates. :shock: