OT (gun but not levergun related) - handgun grips

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

OT (gun but not levergun related) - handgun grips

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I've realized that though I often like the grips that come with most of my handguns, more often than not I end up changing them. Sometimes it is for pure function - especially for any carry I carry frequently. Other times it is for asthetics - just to personalize a gun for me. I've got a pair of grips being worked up right now (one for me and one for Y2K), and will start on a project myself here shortly (the "fitting grips" post earlier this week).

So, with that preamble, how many of you like to customize/personalize your handguns by switching out the stock grips for something else? What is your favorite grip material?

I've been looking at grips in Andean Alder, Ivorywood, and White Ebony wood lately. Does anyone have any experience with those woods? Are you pleased with them?

Lastly, are there any grips/grip material you'd caution everyone to avoid (now that I've given you the floor?)?

Thanks,

YK
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT (gun but not levergun related) - handgun grips

Post by horsesoldier03 »

How can you talk about handgun grips and not post a pic of those CELTIC Grips by Esmerelda on your HI POWER?

I would definately like to get a set like that for my 1911. Once my finances settle down I will end up picking me up a set. Right now still working on that next tuition payment for my daughters college. But thats no problem, she is definately worth it!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

horsesoldier03 wrote:How can you talk about handgun grips and not post a pic of those CELTIC Grips by Esmerelda on your HI POWER?
:D :D :D

You all have SCARY good memories!!! :shock:
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I dont often change them on handguns, but I did get Monogrips on my 44 Redhawk.
Went from this,
to this, mostly for shootability.

And I changed out the factory wood for fake stag on my Vaquero, more than anything else to save the originals, although these look & feel good to me.
Before,
Now,

Not sure I have a favorite grip material. Theres alot of variables. Aesthetically I like natural things like wood, antler ect. But functionally its hard to beat that monogrip for me on that gun, I found it hard to handle with the factory wood, alot had to do with the shape & positioning I think. Auto's dont seem to matter much in my hands and single actions either, both are mostly for looks if I concern myself, or to preserve the originals. I drag that Vaquero around alot & it was getting obvious that I was going to beat up the grips. So now with plastic stag horn I could care less. Your High Power looks excellent, but I dont imagine its a working gun. :wink:
Last edited by Leverdude on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

All of my shooter revolvers have had the grips / grip frames switched or replaced.

All three of my OM Rugers have had the XR3-RED grip frames removed and replaced with the old XR3 style.
Two of them still wear the factory walnut grips, one has a beautiful set of CLC American Holly grips on it.
My two S&Ws have Pachmyre Gripper grips on them.
My Uberti had the brass GF/TG switched to steel and a set of one piece walnuts installed. Will someday have a one piece set of American Holly.

My favorite grip wood is American Holly.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Guilty as charged! I love nice stocks too. Stag are my weakness.

8)
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Lucky for my finances, I generally like faatory stock grips, but there ae some exceptions.

My S&W M-686 wears a set of Pachmayr Jordan Trooper Grips. For a while it wore a set of skinny service style S&W factory grips along with a Tyler T-Grip, but i changed back to the Jordans.

My Always gun came equipped with sticky rubber grips/ I was not terribly upset when the humidity of the delta caused the grip screws to rust so I threw them away and bought a pair of Hogue Monogrips. I put the Hogues on my S&W M-49, and put the skinng wooden service grips on the M-640, along with a Tyler T-Grip. Felt recoil increased a bit, but the wooden grips shaves about 1/4" off overall length, an important matter for a pocket revolver.

Any of you fellows who like scrimshawed grips in Ivory, bone, faux ivory, or micarta should contact Twyla Taylor. The lady is a very talented scrimshander.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

After I bought a new Ruger .45 New Vaqureo last year, I ditched the issue cheese graters for a pair of wood grips I fashioned from (I think) Gaboon Ebony.

Then, last Spring, I played around with an old set of bone grips I had in my scrounge box, painted them black and mounted a psuedo 3:10-to-Yuma decoration:

Then, this Summer, I fell in love with the custom checkered Rosewood grips on Ruger's website:

Color me fickle, ;)

Last edited by Pete44ru on Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Nothing fickle about it. Changing grips is an easy way to "dress up", or, for that matter, "dress down" a gun. My OM Ruger Super Blackhawk has half a dozen pairs of grips! :oops:

I also change out the grips to save the originals - just in case!

The Hi-Power is a carry gun for me - one of several, but a working gun. Those grips panels are cocobolo dorado wood. One of my favorites! :D
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

These grips are the most talked about grips I have. I don't shoot the Super Blackhawk 44 mag very often but when I do they do cause a commotion in camp. They are quite comfortable too. I like to personalize some of my guns but not all. To each his own I say.

"That'll Be The Day"
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

OT ?? Jay in my mind, levers and Colt SAA’s with ivories just seem to go hand in hand.

Not the real deal, but these grips just seem to set this little derringer off.

Have about half the bug to pick up another Colt SAA in .45 with the short barrel and put a set of these on. (please don't tell prayingmom :wink: )
http://www.westernandwildlifewonders.co ... cts_id=501
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Good thread! The other day the Cimmaron .45 I carry when I'm working around home suffered a broken(in 3 places) grip so I'm thinking I might try my hand at fashioning some wood grips for it. Since I'm ham handed and got no talent they'll probably be about as ugly as the south end of a north bound Razorback though. :oops:
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

I had Cary Chapman build a set of grips for my new .44 Special Blackhawk out of American Holly. They came out really nice and changed the feel and balance of the gun in a very positive way. The stock hard plastic grips just don't do it for me.
"Shoot them big guns......you can see the holes better!"
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Had a set of African Pink Ivory Wood on my Colt 1991A1 and they discolored real bad after only a couple years.??? I swithched to the McCormick grips.

Always liked the highly checkered Walnut Herrett Target grips for the Ruger Big Bore Singles,(Super Blackhawk etc.) and the Chip McCormick "Rosewoods" for the Single Autos like the (Colt 1991A1)
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I'm a fan of the Ajax fake ivories on my single actions.
The look and feel good to me.

Jack
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

jhrosier wrote:I'm a fan of the Ajax fake ivories on my single actions.
The look and feel good to me.

Jack
Hummm! thinking to myself, why exactly did I spend all that $ on real ivories?
Jack they look real good to me as well :)
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

CLC yellowed American Holly grips on my OM BH:

Going on three years of use now. Looking goooood!!!

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

casastahle wrote:...
Hummm! thinking to myself, why exactly did I spend all that $ on real ivories?
Jack they look real good to me as well :)
I would have real ivory if finances permitted.
The real ivories cost as much as the gun, or more, so I would have only half as many Rugers.
(I'm not willing to make that tradeoff, though.)

Ajax fake ivories seem to strike a good balance of color, if not texture.
I used to take off the Ruger fake ivories as I dislike the bleached bone color, and give them away.
I've since learned that they sell dear and well. :lol:

Jack
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

J Miller wrote:CLC yellowed American Holly grips on my OM BH:

Joe
They look good Joe. I like the color.
What does a set of those go for these days?

Jack
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

jhrosier wrote:
J Miller wrote:CLC yellowed American Holly grips on my OM BH:

Joe
They look good Joe. I like the color.
What does a set of those go for these days?

Jack
Jack,

These cost me "around" $125.00 three years ago. I haven't been to Carry's site recently but I think they are around $150 now.
I had to send my grip frame in for him to fit them. I'm a picky old phart and I like 'em fitted right. Not like a lot of the aftermarket grips that stick out everywhere and are squared off where they meet the back strap and trigger guard.

Joe
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I like my grips to be functional, not just beautiful. Here are some grips made for my Accusport Bisley in 45 Colt.

These were made from Purple Heart Wood that I sent to Carey at CLC grips. They involved many coats of True Oil, the headstamp from Hornady 45 Colt cases, and his "tear drop" design that is wider at the rear of the grip and narrower at the front. The idea was to spread out the recoil to a larger portion of the hand. There is also a shoulder on the grip as you can see. This helps to get a consistant grip every time you pick up the gun which anyone will tell you is important in shooting technique as well as reduces the guns ability to push the grip down through your hand under recoil. Purple Heart Wood is also classified as a hardwood and is very durable.

These are also made in the same pattern by Carey using stabilized Spalted Karilian Birch from Europe. Stabilized woods are put in a vacuum chamber under high pressure and acrylic material is forced through the wood. Afterwords, the wood is many times more durable and also not affected by solvents. It allows you to use woods that normally would be too soft like the Karillian Birch. You can contact Mike at Stabilized Wood International to get samples, or Carey at CLC also always has blanks on hand.

Lastly for my Kimber 1911 in 10mm I contacted Mike at Stabilized Wood Inter. and told him what I wanted in stabilized California Buckeye. It took him about a month to find it, but he sent me the blanks and I sent them to Esmeralda to have them cut for use with an ambi safety.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

But I forget myself, for I know the next grips are YK's FAVORITE! They strike terror into any two or 4 legged vermin who see them (also very easy to find inside that black duffle bag!) :lol: 8) :roll:

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Some of my grips on different guns.

shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I like Eagle's Gunfighter grips in Buffalo Horn!
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

CowboyTutt wrote:But I forget myself, for I know the next grips are YK's FAVORITE! They strike terror into any two or 4 legged vermin who see them (also very easy to find inside that black duffle bag!) :lol: 8) :roll:

-Tutt
I need my sunglasses before looking at those grips! 8)

I did not know that you could send wood to Esmeralda to have her make grips!
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Change grips on all my pistols. I'm partial to stag, ivory, mammouth, buffalo horn and fancy, burled rare hardwoods (that about covers it I guess). Which one I choose is very dependent upon the type of pistol and the available funds at the time!! :D
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Well, Alnitak, were are you pictures? Sounds like a great choice.
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

kimwcook wrote:Well, Alnitak, were are you pictures? Sounds like a great choice.
+1 :D
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

OK, OK...I know you guys have seen these before, but it's all the pictures I have now:

"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Good looking grips posted.

I'm partial to custom wood and will replace grips on most of my guns.

Right now finishing up a deal on a pair of Fuzzy Farant grips.
Second deal in second month, lost $150 last month on a pair that postal employee stole.

Extra funds are committed with the holidays commin up but I will have to buy a couple K frames to finish the grip purchase.
Had a pair of Fuzzy's on my 624 LH 3 inch and swore I'd get more if I ever got the chance.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”