Levergun Winter Hunt In Texas. Directions added pg5

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scrateshooter
Levergunner

Re: Levergun Winter Hunt In Texas.

Post by Scrateshooter »

Looks like I will be in NE Texas (Red River County) for the first week of November. I won't see many of you unless the OP wants to meet me. I want to go up and see JerryB however.
"Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand." Revelation 1:3
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I'll be there. I'll get the money to you very soon Ricky. I just got off of 7 weeks in a row of 20 hours or more overtime. I'm a little tired.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Hey Levergunners - we have 4 deposits for this hunt. WHERE IS EVERYBODY? This is a guaranteed hog with the chance at taking a second one. Only $350 - I haven't raised the price in 4 years on the levergun hunts basic package. It is $437.60 worth of corn to keep the feeders running from the time I advertised this in Oct until the hunt starts in Feb. There is approximately $90 per person worth of insurance expense. $12.55 of fuel each way to run out there and maintain things every 3 weeks until the hunt is $100.40, and just over 2 hrs r/t every time. The point is, this hunt is kept convenient and affordable so we can get a bunch of levergunners together for a great time. We don't mind the work, effort and expense if it gets a good hunt going! Take advantage of these trips so we can justify keeping them going every year - a summer trip and a winter trip - like we've held for the past 4 years. Call or PM Ricky to save your spot! See you in February!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Will have my deposit in this week - Brian

Will have to cook up a load for the 4" 629 over the Christmas holidays - Any suggestions out there?

I've got 240 cast SWC, Remington 240 JHP, and a box of Hornady 240 XTP.

Ignited by either 296, or 2400.

Most of the time I shoot 240 cast over 8 grains of Power Pistol. very accurate at 50 yards, but its a warm 44 Special level load, and not something I would use on a hog.

- Brian
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

BrianSH wrote:Will have my deposit in this week - Brian

Will have to cook up a load for the 4" 629 over the Christmas holidays - Any suggestions out there?

I've got 240 cast SWC, Remington 240 JHP, and a box of Hornady 240 XTP.

Ignited by either 296, or 2400.

Most of the time I shoot 240 cast over 8 grains of Power Pistol. very accurate at 50 yards, but its a warm 44 Special level load, and not something I would use on a hog.

- Brian
Brian, load some of those Keith bullets over 20 or 21 grains of 2400 and you'll be all set.

I'll be packing this load in my 629 Mountain Gun.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

WarHawk, thanks for the load advice. My book research was leading me toward that load. Just a matter of making some up, an shooting them.

I'll probably take the same load with all 3 bullet types, and see which my gun preffers.

- Brian
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

My primary rifle on this hunt is going to be my Marlin 44 Mag loaded with 310 grian Lee flat nose (WFN) gas check boolits (there's that spelling Joe and Ricky ;) ) over 21.0 grains of H110 for 1550 fps.

NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

Is there a time limit on if we do this hunt? I have intrest but I'm still working out logistics of what it would entail. Never done an out of state hunt before and this would be my first.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

n2t wrote:Is there a time limit on if we do this hunt? I have intrest but I'm still working out logistics of what it would entail. Never done an out of state hunt before and this would be my first.
Sorry to take so long answering you, I've been deer hunting all weekend. We still have room for a couple of more hunters if your interested. You'll need to get your deposit in as soon as you can so we can hold a spot for you. As for logistics let us know what, and we'll try to help. Hope you can make it.
Ricky

DWWC
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

It's just a matter of getting leave approved and seeing if I have the funds available for a plane ticket that soon after xmas. I think it should be possible however, is a .243 win acceptable for the hunt? Even if it is a bolt gun?
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

A 243 would work good, and if you don't want to travel with a gun we can arrange for a loaner gun or two or three :D .
Ricky

DWWC
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

I'll be bringing a Ruger 77 in 7RM, but my main tool for this trip will be a 4" 629.

I've got some loads to start testing this week if the weather dries out some. I'll spend the Christmas hollidays upticking my pistol skills at 50 yards.

Anyone else other than WarHawk and I bringing pistols?

-Brian

PS I'm undecided whether or not to bring a Marlin 45-70.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I doubt I'll bring a handgun on this hunt, for hunting. I sold my FA in 475 and it was my hog gun. I may work up a load for my 25-5 and see what I can do with that.
Ricky

DWWC
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

In the mid 90's I had an opportunity to ask Roy Jinks if S&W was ever going to strengthen the M25 or come out with a new gun that can handle the "Ruger Only" published data. he told me flat out that the current M25 can handle those loads just fine.

Ricky, like me, having read Linebaugh, Taylor, Taffin, and some others, realize most of the published data is rather mild.

The Speer manual limits their +P 45 Colt loads to under 25K. Hodgdon goes higher. Those of us with RedHawks go until the cylinder ceases up :wink:

Any way, 19-20 of 2400 under a 250 hardcast or that Speer 260hp would do the trick, though I'd open up that hollow point some more with a ball bearing.

- Brian
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I'm going to have to practice with my 45 Colt revolver to see if I can keep the shots where they count at 25 yds. The gun is a 2" barrel with fixed sights. The current load is a 260gr Swift A-Frame at 920 fps. I think it'll work on the hog if I can hit it right. Time will tell. There are two stands that are 25 yds from the feeders that are set up for the handgun hunters.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Brian, I got your check today. Thanks and I look forward to hunting with you. Hey, bring some of your knives with you.
Ricky

DWWC
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

86er wrote:I'm going to have to practice with my 45 Colt revolver to see if I can keep the shots where they count at 25 yds. The gun is a 2" barrel with fixed sights. The current load is a 260gr Swift A-Frame at 920 fps. I think it'll work on the hog if I can hit it right. Time will tell. There are two stands that are 25 yds from the feeders that are set up for the handgun hunters.
Ooh, now you're making me think... maybe I'll practice up with this:

I may load up some 250 grain Keith swc's to around 1200 fps (mild 44 Mag) and see how it likes those...

I've never taken anything with a hangun - larger than a squirrel anyway... ;)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

For everyone who is coming on the hunt and those you may still want to, we still have some openings, check out 86er's post from our scouting trip today. http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=22916 Also as an reminder the remaining amount of the hunt cost is due the first week of January, if you plan on staying at the hunt location include your $25.00 fee.
Ricky

DWWC
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

OSOK wrote:

I've never taken anything with a hangun - larger than a squirrel anyway... ;)[/quote]

Looks like now is the time.

This is a great time to scratch that itch on that thumb buster.

-Brian
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Vance, I received to deposit today, Thanks. I look forward to meeting and hunting with you.
Ricky

DWWC
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

RKrodle wrote:Vance, I received to deposit today, Thanks. I look forward to meeting and hunting with you.
Same to ya. PM sent.

It's gotta warm up about 40 degrees so I can make sure my 1892 Japanese .45 colt shoots where I think it does.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I talked to Ricky and he said that there is a place in the cabin where there is a microwave. I am pretty sure that means that I could bring a crock-pot and make a pot of beef stew for one evening. There should be enough for about 6 to 8 people, more if we add in plenty of crackers and/or bread and things like that. How about we make a rough outline of what we want to bring to eat and all make simple things to cook and share.
D. Brian Casady
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

piller wrote:I talked to Ricky and he said that there is a place in the cabin where there is a microwave. I am pretty sure that means that I could bring a crock-pot and make a pot of beef stew for one evening. There should be enough for about 6 to 8 people, more if we add in plenty of crackers and/or bread and things like that. How about we make a rough outline of what we want to bring to eat and all make simple things to cook and share.

Well, I live close enough I could pre-make some cornbread and we could heat it up in the stew or the microwave. If it's nice enough weather, I'm sure there's an outdoor cooking place?????? You never know in February around here, though. Could be Spring by them or could be ice and snow.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I'll bring a big pot of red beans to go with the corn bread.
Ricky

DWWC
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

RKrodle wrote:I'll bring a big pot of red beans to go with the corn bread.

Oh Ricky, not in the cabin! :shock: We'll have to sleep outside.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

vancelw wrote:
RKrodle wrote:I'll bring a big pot of red beans to go with the corn bread.

Oh Ricky, not in the cabin! :shock: We'll have to sleep outside.
:lol: May have to leave the door open.
Ricky

DWWC
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

My wife has agreed to make a pot of potato soup.

How many are we expecting?

Rickey, Have you received my check yet?
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Warhawk wrote:My wife has agreed to make a pot of potato soup.

How many are we expecting?

Rickey, Have you received my check yet?
Yes I got your check a couple of days ago, sorry I forgot to notify you. Potato soup sounds great. I don't have a final head count but it looks like around 10 right now.
Ricky

DWWC
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Any thoughts about providing a map or directions?

:wink: :)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Sorry guys. I've been busy out of town working. I off this week and will try to get direction up. I'll be there tomorrow and will also get GPS coordinates.
Ricky

DWWC
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I know how that is! Thanks Ricky. Oh and I'll be sending my balance to you on Tuesday - after I get back in town :)

Smitty and I are really looking forward to seeing everybody again.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Here's the directions for the hunt.

From Dallas, take I30 East to exit 178 (US 259). Take US 259 North to De Kalb, about 16 miles, to US 82. Go west on US 82 about 11 miles, through the town of Avery about 1 mile, to FM 1699. Turn North, the only way to turn, for about 2 miles to 4187 FM 1699 Avery, Texas. You cannot see the cabin from the road. We will post up a sign of some type to mark the spot. If anyone has questions on the directions or gets lost call me on my cell phone. Beware if I’m already at the hunt site I may or may not get the call because of poor signal. 214-549-5217

Motels for those not staying at the cabin.
The Red River Inn ­903-427-2278
The Courthouse Inn ­ a bed and breakfast - 903-427-0801
Last edited by RKrodle on Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricky

DWWC
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

For anyone who has not paid the remaining amount of the hunt cost please do as soon as you can, thanks.
Ricky

DWWC
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Levergun Winter Hunt In Texas. Directions added pg5

Post by n2t »

Any way we can get rates on the hotels?
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Hey Ricky!

What day/time are we supposed to start showing up?
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

n2t wrote:Any way we can get rates on the hotels?
Hey n2t, I'll try to remember and call the numbers I listed above tomorrow.
Ricky

DWWC
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

vancelw wrote:Hey Ricky!

Early afternoon on Friday would be good. There will be several people hunting so we are going to have to get started. So if we can get some to hunt Friday afternoon that would help.
Ricky

DWWC
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

RKrodle wrote:
vancelw wrote:Hey Ricky!

Early afternoon on Friday would be good. There will be several people hunting so we are going to have to get started. So if we can get some to hunt Friday afternoon that would help.

Well, I just may have to take one for the team and skip work Friday. :D Or at least leave early.

Breaks my stinkin' heart :lol:

FYI, I have placed an order for nice, non-rainy weather that weekend.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Ricky - balance is on the way - will be there by Saturday's mail.

I've decided to bring my .44 Mag Rossi and my Ruger .44 Mag hunter - both using the same load (unless there's an issue with the load in the revolver - have to sight it in this weekend) - which is a 310 Gr. Lee flat nose gas check over 21.0 Grains of H110. Should be a real pig thumper. :twisted:
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Ricky - balance is on the way - will be there by Saturday's mail.

I've decided to bring my .44 Mag Rossi and my Ruger .44 Mag hunter - both using the same load (unless there's an issue with the load in the revolver - have to sight it in this weekend) - which is a 310 Gr. Lee flat nose gas check over 21.0 Grains of H110. Should be a real pig thumper. :twisted:
That should be a hog whacking dude! :D
Ricky

DWWC
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

thwock! :P
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

And for the fun part, I am going to bring some of those chocolate chip cookies which went over so well the last two hunts I was on.
Ricky, what cooking gear and such do we need? What are the beds in the cabin, sized for 1? Do I need to bring a cot? Sorry for all the questions, but it will help me on what to pack so that I don't accidentally bring way too much gear. I just am not quite sure how primitive or not it will be.
D. Brian Casady
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

piller wrote:And for the fun part, I am going to bring some of those chocolate chip cookies which went over so well the last two hunts I was on.
Ricky, what cooking gear and such do we need? What are the beds in the cabin, sized for 1? Do I need to bring a cot? Sorry for all the questions, but it will help me on what to pack so that I don't accidentally bring way too much gear. I just am not quite sure how primitive or not it will be.
Most of the beds are singles, some are bunk beds, anyone wanting to bring a cot is welcome to. It would help provide more beds for more people. There is a grill outside for cooking and a microwave inside, that's it for cooking. The cabin also has a small refrigerator, sink, and of course bathroom with shower. Bring linens or sleeping bag along with a pillow and bath towels. If the weather around here continues as is, plan on it being muddy and cold so dress appropriately. The cabin is not run down and is weather proof, but we will call it Cozy in size. Bring coolers for your drinks and food, and for carrying your meat home. Skinning and quartering services are provided for $25.00 or you are welcome to do it yourself. Joe and I will be there Friday morning and will put up some type of marker for the turn in at the cabin. Anyone wanting to show up around noon or so is welcome and we will commence the activities, it get's dark fairly early and we hope to get some hunting in. This is an idea situation for some outdoor/ dutch oven cooking. I plan to bring a dutch oven and coleman stove, along with a couple of pot and pans. Again, bring want you want to eat as there is not any real grocery store's near by. Cell phone service is spotty at best, but you can call my cell and leave a message and I will drive to the signal every once in a while, read not very often, and check my voice mail in case anyone is having trouble finding us. If you can provide us with your approximate arrival time we will keep a look out for you. We will have a couple of people there to help everyone out as needed, these guys are just doing it because they want to help, If you find them helpful please tip them what you feel is appropriate.

Piller, cookies are good!!!!!!!!!! :D

For those that prefer motel/hotel I call and was quoted the following rates.

Hotel rates: Red River Inn, $48.59 per night.

Courthouse Inn B&B $95.00 to $130.00 per night. This upper end rooms are $130.00, if for more then one night $110.00, if no Breakfast less $5.00. Upper end rooms include gas fireplace and whirlpool tub. Sounds nice for a little getaway.

My cell phone is 214-549-5217. Feel free to call with any questions between now and then.
Ricky

DWWC
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Shall we get some sort of menu going since it sounds like eating there by cooking on a campstove will be a good option. I'll bring the chocolate chip cookies. I am bringing a skillet and a pound of bacon-dozen eggs-dozen potatoes for breakfast Saturday morning cooked on the coleman stove, and I will bring my coffee maker. My wife is letting me bring an older slow cooker for some homemade stew for either Friday evening or Saturday evening. I put in beef, potatos, carrots, hominy, tomato paste, and some water. It will feed 6 to 8 depending on whether there is something else to go with it. Peanut butter sandwiches and chips for lunch is fine with me.

I'll bring a cot so that we can fit more in the cabin if needed.
D. Brian Casady
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I should be there pretty early Friday and will get supper started. I'll bring a Crock Pot and a Dutch oven, for stew and beans. It won't be enough to feed everyone but it will get us started. If a couple of ya'll can add to that we will have Friday taken care of.
Ricky

DWWC
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Anyone have a problem with jalapeno pieces cooked into the cornbread. It should go real well with the stew for Friday. If I make 2 batches it will go with the Saturday night stew as well.
D. Brian Casady
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

I'll pick up some chicken breasts, and a length of smoked sausage. I'll woq 'em over a back packers mountain stove.

Ricky, I've got a 12" and 10" camp oven. will you need an extra for cooking, i can bring either along.

- Brian
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I'll bring something too.... maybe some buns and some pulled pork - I've got a butt in the freezer... yeah, that'll work.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

O.S.O.K. wrote: I've got a butt in the freezer... .
Dude, lets leave out personal problems out of this please.

BrianSH wrote:I'll pick up some chicken breasts, and a length of smoked sausage. I'll woq 'em over a back packers mountain stove.

Ricky, I've got a 12" and 10" camp oven. will you need an extra for cooking, i can bring either along.

- Brian
I don't think it would be necessary to bring an oven, I ain't going to get that fancy.
Ricky

DWWC
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

RKrodle wrote:
O.S.O.K. wrote: I've got a butt in the freezer... .
Dude, lets leave out personal problems out of this please.
What are you some kind of prude - only like fresh butt? :lol:

I guess I was the butt of the joke here huh...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!