Hooded front sights...Is it just me?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Hooded front sights...Is it just me?

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I can't stand those things! I always thought it was some stupid idea that was added during the 80's and 90's. But now I'm seeing pics of older rifles with the things on em. As a matter of fact my 80's vintage 94AE doesn't have em. IMO, they're about as ugly as a scope! :D

LK
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Hooded front sights...Is it just me?

Post by J Miller »

To each their own.

My 1950 Win 94 has it's hood.
My 1977 Win 9422 has it's hood.

Now, bead sights are weak. If you lean your rifle against something that little dinky bead on top can be easily bent or even broken off. It's happened to me a couple times. So any rifle that cam with bead sights and a hood, keep the hood.

However if I install receiver sights and a post front sight, then the hood comes off and goes into the parts box.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

It's sorta weird but I can't shoot a levergun with a hooded front as well as I can when I remove the hood, yet I dearly love the globe sights on my Sharps'
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Don McDowell wrote:It's sorta weird but I can't shoot a levergun with a hooded front as well as I can when I remove the hood, yet I dearly love the globe sights on my Sharps'
Don,
I've found the same thing with my hooded rifles. I even will take the hood off sometimes at the range while I shoot and put it back on when I'm finished. The only purpose they serve for me is to protect that bead.
The globe sights are round and form an aperture for the front sight, at least those I've seen do.
Whereas the hood cuts so close to the sight it actually interferes with the sight picture.

Wow Don, I think we agreed with something for a change ... whoo-hooo!

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

All my rifles get Lyman 17 Globe front sights (or something similar)
and receiver rear sights. Only exception right now is the 1908 Marlin,
I haven't decided whether I will change this one over yet.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
RANisbet
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RANisbet »

As a competitive shooter that used open military iron sights exclusively (Not the globe type used with International style sights). I was taught that a front sight cover was there to use until you were ready to go shooting, then it comes off.
The idea is that the front sight should be well contrasted against the target. When the hood is removed, the direct ambient light shines on the front sight and gives a better contrasted sight picture.
Now here's something else: In competition, on military target sights, they get blackened to improve contrast.

Anyway, I always leave the hood on my hunting rifles.
Bob Nisbet
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

I agree with the previous post. The hood goes in your pocket when you're shooting and back on to protect the sight when transporting.
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

Huh, I never thought of using them that way. Maybe because they often aren't all that easy to get off.

I generally throw them in the parts box, and risk a broken front. I don't think the risk is that great.

Globe sights, on the other hand, make a lot of sense to me. They are supposed to be part of the sight picture. I don't have any now though.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

No hoods for me.....makes the sight picture too busy.....especially with a ghost ring.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I like them and think they look good.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

I use globes, hoods and un-hooded and think they all have their place & time.

It would be far worse a situation where we to have no choice at all...
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Had one on one levergun, and got rid of it when it got clogged with snow at an inopportune moment. For LONG RANGE or really precise work ya can't beat em. They stop the glare that hurts accuracy when the sun is on one side.

My current project rifle is getting a Lyman 17 and a Marbles tang peep, but it's a paper puncher.
Certified gun nut
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

Anybody tried the fiberoptic front sights with a hood that has a cut out to let light in, yet still protects the fiber optic tube? Are those tubes round or kind of oval shaped like most hoods?
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

I've never shot one of those fiber optic ones with the cut hood, but I did handle one once. I'm not a fan of hoods, but that glowing site actually worked well with it. No longer were you looking at a dark silhouette of a site, it became a bright bead in a tube of sorts. It seemed to come up fast.
"Shoot them big guns......you can see the holes better!"
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I like the globes but don't like that Marlin square hood - such an ugly shape and sight picture.

I prefer using the globe and it helps with accuracy - if you center the globe in your peep, then put the crosshairs on the target, you're more consistent than if you are using an naked front sight.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I don't mind the hood so much on the Marlins but the THICK sight post underneath the hood has to AFFECT the accuracy. I have an Old Glenfield Marlin model 30 that has no hood and a brass bead front sight that is awesome. It is thin enough that you can see your target behind the sight post. My 1894 and 336 both have the front hoods and the thicker sight post. I did take a file to the front top of the sights. With a couple of light swipes across the sight blade the brass will shine through. It helps me pick up the post when shooting in limited light situations associated with hunting.

I wish Marlin would go back to the Thin Brass Bead Front Sight Post!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I get the gun, the hood comes off and goes into the parts box, the rifle lives out its life with me sans hood. I've yet to break off a bead front sight but I do prefer the post or sourdough for precision shooting. I find that the hood obscures the target.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I'm with Hobie, I take them off right away and throw them in the parts box. Can't stand shooting with them on. I've never broken or damaged a front sight.
NRA Life Member
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Put me in the never seen a bent front bead.
Howsomever the bead on my 405 did eventually fall out from apparently the recoil? :o :lol:
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I broke the bead on my 86 the day before an out of state hunting trip. A hood would have saved it.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

I shoot with or without . My eye site is kinda' poor , So It's makes little difference. I will say that I agree that the shade of the hood is most helpful .I was out last week at the range , trying out my new to me Marlin 30AS . NO HOOD . Sun light seemed to cut the post in half shadow wise . But probably no one has more fun than I do.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mutt,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :roll: ,,,, :D
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I like a hooded sight. I even go so far as to put a dab of Locktite Black Max on em so they don't get knocked off by heavy brush, etc..
ED
Yer never too old
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't care for em. There has been times when they would of saved me broken front sights. I've gone thru 3-4 over the years on my coon hunting .22's. The amount of abuse a gun takes while you're running around in the woods at night chasing dogs is unbelievable. But I've never had one break to the point where it couldn't be used.

LK
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I like hooded sights. They give a more even light pattern under glare conditions. I also like aperture rear sights. With both of them I never even notice the hood a I am focused on the post front.

I hate round bead front sights and semi-buckhorn rears, also shallow vee rears. First thing I do is convert my open sights to a post front and square notch rear (Patridge style).
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I once talked with a Britisher who was astounded that "YOU YANKS" shot a gun with a hood on the sight. According to him unless it was a target globe the hood was to protect the sight in transport and was NEVER used shooting.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:roll: I can't imagine how some folks must "transport" a rifle if they're worried about bending or breaking a front sight during the process :o
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Sheet-metal sight hoods are seldom concentric to the front sight, which can cause all sorts of optical aberrations when trying to shoot with one in place. Globe- or target front sights are another matter, entirely, as the true circle around the front sight can help to focus and enhance the sight picture.

I don't shoot with 'hooded' sights on a levergun. If it has a hood, it goes in my pocket when the rifle comes out of the scabbard.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I'll be the odd one here and say that, on Winchester 94s that were designed with the hoods, I actually like them--and actually am looking for four of the Pre-64 types and two of the Post 64s (ca. 1979)--I've heard are subtly different--I've heard the terms "high" and "low"? (I forget, it's been awhile since I've had a complete Post...I always assumed they were the same)--those of you with those parts bins full of them, PM me with what you've got!. ..as I always seem to end up with guns owned by you guys that take them off! I like the better sight picture and quicker sight acquisition (for me). These guns (pre-64s on) don't have enough prong of a rear buckhorn--if any--to make the fronts work optimally without the hood. Otherwise, on guns that never had a hood to begin with, I prefer a semi to full buckhorn combined with front post.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The machined hoods of the old Redfield ramp front sights were OK, but I've only used that kind of set-up (with a recaiver peep sight) on Bolt-Action Rifles, and way back before I "knew better..."

The "circles surrounding a point" sight picture worked well enough for leisurely shooting, but was noticeably "busy" when things got western...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
win92
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win92 »

When walking around the woods either early or late in the day I tend to need as much light on the front bead as I can get. So all my levers are without hoods. But at the range on stationary targets I prefer globe type sights as far as Irons go. So the Sharps and Highwall wear their hoods.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Front sight hoods have a purpose other than to protect the sight. Sunlight will glint on one side or another of a shiney bead. This can cause the POI to wander a mite. Target shooters have an old saying.."Light goes up, sights go down".

99% of sport shooters have no need for a front sight hood, but for serious target shooting they do come in handy from time to time.