Not to be sacrilegious....If you HAD to scope a lever gun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Not to be sacrilegious....If you HAD to scope a lever gun?

Post by L_Kilkenny »

OK, I've tried to be good, I really have. I've tried different sights, used Williams peep's, tried a 2-7x and thought about scout set-ups and red dots. For shooting (not to be confused with handling, carrying or looks) I have yet to find anything that works as well for me a scope. The others all have drastic disadvantages. Well, hunting season is upon us and I have yet to find a system that I like the looks/feel and that would ALSO allow me and my eyes to use this gun for coyote hunting. I'm not talking the occasional coyote but true running and gunning fashion at ranges from 10 to 200 yards. God, do I hate scopes on this Win 94AE but for hunting, especially in the time frame of a fast approaching hunting season, I believe it may be my only option. Due to money being tight I've decided to forgo a scout set up and stick the a traditional scope, maybe.

My feeling is this: If I'm gonna scope it lets at least make it a scope "acceptable" in the looks/feel department of a lever gun. Thinkin something light with a vintage twist to it. Maybe a 4x20? Maybe find some older glass with a glossy finish?

If you absolutely had to scope a lever gun what would you chose? Is there an older "cool or neat" scope that I should be scouring the internet and gun shops to find? Anyone have something laying in the bottom of the gun locker?

LK
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Not to be sacrilegious....If you HAD to scope a lever gun?

Post by Hillbilly »

If I "had" to... maybe a Weaver K4............

I cant bear the thought.........

J
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The one on here would work for any of them. It is a 3x Steel Lite II Weaver and is sharper than a Leupold. Top choice would be a 1.5-5x Leupold. Gives all the magnification you would need and you can open up the field if that is what is better. I have scoped everything from a 94 on up but have some with irons. Not tied to it either way.

Last edited by Old Savage on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

If you HAD to scope a lever gun?
If my eyes get to the point where peep sights won't do the trick, I'll just quit shooting. You'll never see me with a scoped lever gun. It just won't happen.

LK,
For "YOU" I can't say. I don't know anything about scopes really. All I can say is find one that "fits" the rifle. Don't put one of those 6x18 power monster scopes on it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I wouldn't but don't need to yet. It seems to me that a 2½x20 or maybe as big as Leupold's 1.5-5X would work. I think that people tend to slap a 3-9X or bigger on and then lose the handiness of the designs. Many tend to get way more power than needed. When pressed they say it is to look at game to make sure it is "legal" or "what's what". My thing is that if you need to I.D. what your shooting you need a pair of binocs.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Hobie wrote:I wouldn't but don't need to yet. It seems to me that a 2½x20 or maybe as big as Leupold's 1.5-5X would work. I think that people tend to slap a 3-9X or bigger on and then lose the handiness of the designs. Many tend to get way more power than needed. When pressed they say it is to look at game to make sure it is "legal" or "what's what". My thing is that if you need to I.D. what your shooting you need a pair of binocs.
Hear ya there Hobie. My main concern is that a straight 4x might be more power than I want in thick cover but I like the idea of simplicity and a little less weight of a fixed power. The current 2-7x is a great magnifiaction range but is too big even and to tell the truth, scopes today are just plain ugly. Abrupt lines, large adjustments, etc etc. That's why I was thinking vintage on this one. Wish someone made a 2-7x20 with nice lines.

I do like that Weaver that OS posted. Betting they aren't easy to find though.

LK
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

YEP, DONE DID THAT. I HAD A WEAVER B4 ON MY FIRST MARLIN 39 MOUNTIE WAY BACK WHEN. PUT A 4X LEUPOLD ON MY SECOND MOUNTIE IN 1977. BOUGHT A SAVAGE M99 300SAV YEARS AGO THAT HAD A WEAVER KV ALREADY INSTALLED. IT WORKED GREAT.
THE MARLIN '94 44MAG FROM 35[?] YEARS AGO HAD A 4X SCOPE ON IT WHILE I TESTED LOADS IN IT. WHEN I WAS DONE A WILLIAMS 5D WENT ON IT. HAVEN'T SHOT IT SINCE FOR SOME REASON. IT'D HANDLE KEITH LENGTH HANDLOADS SLICK AS OWLSHIQ ON A DOORKNOB TOO.
THAT SECOND MARLIN MOUNTIE NOW HAS A LYMAN RECEIVER APERTURE SIGHT AND A LYMAN GLOBE FRONT SIGHT.
THE MARLIN 39CL "MOUNTIE" IS GONNA HAVE A NEW WILLIAMS FP RECEIVER SIGHT PRETTY SOON NOW....PDQ...RSN...LRFN....WHEN I AM IN THE MOOD THIS WINTER...
IF THE OLD EYES GO I WILL SCOPE 'EM ALL IF THAT IS WHAT IT TAKES TO KEEP SHOOTING 'EM.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have a Burris Compact 2X7 that has been on and off a few of my Levers. I have it on My Marlin model 30 right now. it is as large a scope as I would want. My range is in the woods and not well lit. last week late in the afternoon I grabbed it with one round of ammo walked 75yds back from the target and hit 2" from the bull. As much as I like irons, in the dark woods I can't fault a small scope. A few years ago I was hunting with My son-in-law in some thick second growth, I had given Him an old Bushnell 3X9,he mounted it on His muzzleloader. He neckshot a huge doe in that slashing and remarked it wouldn't have happened without the scope.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Leupold 1.5-5X. Fast close in, but on a man sized target, you can make hits (with the correct rifle) at 500 yards.

It should handle anything you're likely to encounter and not be bulky.

My first levergun was a Marlin 30AS with an old Weaver K4 on it. Nice.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Leupold 1-4x20 seems like the perfect scope for my levers. I've also got one Leupold 2-7 compact that's about the same size as the 1-4x20.
NRA Life Member
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Looked and looked.....I'm gonna try to find me a K3 me's a thinkin. Now where to start......

LK
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If I wanted an 'authentic' looking gun mostly, and didn't want to hunt with it, I'd be sure to use a scope the same vintage as the gun (...of course then, do you go with the gun's design date, or it's manufacture date - hmmm...?). To hunt with, I want the clearest optics, best 'light gathering', and optimum magnification for shot placement within the confines of the gun, the hunting need, and my abilities.

Personally, when my son chose this Leupold to put on his Marlin 1894, I thought it looked pretty silly, especially with that oversized bell. Scope and gun both date back to the 1980's though, so actually are of the same 'vintage', if not design date.

On the other hand, I think he's really pleased with it... :wink:

I find that the biggest advantage for ME ('your mileage may vary') of a scope is either if I want precise shot placement (i.e. within less than about 4 minutes of angle, I just can't see without lots of magnification) for varmint or target shooting, OR if I want to see in dim woods-light and make out the outlines of a deer's body or shoulder amongst tan-colored leaves and brush, and place my shot in between limbs just a few inches apart, in which case the 'light gathering' effect plus the magnification really helps.

I've tried receiver peeps and tang sights, plain and 'ghost ringed' and 'twilight' apertures, but in the dawn and dusk I've set our bow target (styrofoam 'deer') in brush and when through my scope I can still easily make out the details of the 'deer' and even see the broadhead "X's" from shooting it, I won't even be able to SEE the 'deer' AT ALL with the various types of aperture sights.

So to me, there's no "shame" in scoping a levergun any more than there is in using iron sights on a bolt gun. I use what gets the job done. To avoid modern optics makes no more sense to me than to avoid modern-construction bullets or stainless-steel cutlery. I'll go with irons-only or get an older straight-tube scope when I want to appear authentic, go to a re-enactment of some sort, or for just plain nostalga (nothing wrong with that!).

My advice would be go with whatever gets the job done best, just like you would with selecting the gun itself. If light weight or compact design are important for balance or speed, those 'bantam' type scopes are really nice. If you need the visual assistance, especially in poor light, I'd favor the larger 'funny looking' scopes.

...of course I'm at the 'non-nostalgic' end of the spectrum when it comes to my deer gun - first off, it's a Ruger 96, so everyone laughs at it for being something other than a flat-side or a Savage 99. Secondly, I scope it, and thirdly :o I have a laser sight on it...

Blasphemy, pure blasphemy on my part, I know... :oops: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Already done....my Marlin 336. It's a hunting rifle so I have no qualms about mounting a scope on it. It's a Weaver K4 and puts meat on the table and in the freezer. Basically, iron and aperture sights have let me down in the past during the morning and evening twilight hours. Not only could I not see the deer or pig, I couldn't even make out the front sight. A scope solved that problem.

Now..optics on some old classic Winchester or Marlin? No way, Jose.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
RANisbet
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RANisbet »

I own a Model 71 Winchester in 348 cal that the previous owner drilled for a scope.
I plan to custom make a scope base and mount a low power Leupold in the Scout style, with scope forward of the receiver.
Wishing I will get the rifle back from Macon Gun Stocks sometime soon.
Sent it there originally back in April. Still waiting for them to rework many items that did not correspond with what they had agreed to do. Beginning to look like it may not be back to me in time for hunting this year.
Bob Nisbet
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I have a Nikon 4x40 that I put on my Marlin 44. I had it mounted as low as I could. I was never able to get comfortable shooting it. I had to lift my cheek off the stock ( I guess I could have put a cheek pad of sort on it). I ended up putting some XS sights on it and it is good to go.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I like the Weaver 1-3x, it's about the lightest out there, around a pound with all the hardware, and natural view. Very quick on target.

I had it with me deer hunting and it was set on 1.5x - very lifelike but just a little more dramatic because of the slight magnification. We saw a coyote and I took a couple of shots - I gave him too much lead (he saw us, too) but he was very visible in the reticle with no fussing around.

Ok it's a modern day aluminum scope made overseas but they're easy to get, Midway has them on sale all the time. I've looked through other people's scopes and mine's clearer.

No matter what gun I get I'll use that scope - I don't like all the jiggly stuff and 3x is enough to go a long way.

Right now I have it on an 1894c and it balances well - better than on a 336.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

nikon 4x .22 scpoe on my pre-81 blr. .308wcf. works for me.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I scout scoped my 1895GS and I am a very happy camper. I'm about to put a 1.5 x 5 Leupold VXIII 30mm European model on my 218 Bee and expect to be very happy about that, as well.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My Marlin 39A has sported a scope from time to time. Nothing wrong with it when it is needed. Sure, that optical handle doesn't quite look right on a lever, but what's worse, wounding an animal because one refuses to use the technology available to help him make a clean shot, or putting on the glass and making a clean kill?
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I have a Leupold 2X7 on my BLR. I like a scope for hunting, And when my eyes go, even further, I'll scope up everything I can fit one on.

Ricky

DWWC
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

RKrodle I just ordered a Leupold 2-7X just like yours not 15 minutes ago. It will sit atop my new 336XLR .30-30.
I have 1.5 -4X on my .308MX and a 1.5-5 on my .338MXLR. Leupold makes a fine glass IMHO. :D
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Terry Murbach wrote: IF THE OLD EYES GO I WILL SCOPE 'EM ALL IF THAT IS WHAT IT TAKES TO KEEP SHOOTING 'EM.
my feelings exactly -- i was also gonna suggest the Loopy 2-7x20, but you mentioned it already was out of the running
----- Doug
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

I've tried several. Right now a Weaver 1-3X20 sits on my 336 30-30. It may end up on one of my 1894's, but one of the '94's at least will keep a Skinner peep on it. I like the Weaver. Yes, it's made in Asia, but the country is Japan. They make some of the finest optics in the world there.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

A couple of years ago I had the pleasure to handle an old Marlin 30-30 that had a Weaver J 2.5 scope mounted on it.. The Weaver J 2.5 is a scope with a ¾” tube... The scope sat really low on the Marlin... I would not feel handicapped in the least using that rig......Light gathering and all that aside... There is just no beating the superiority of the single plane sighting that a scope offers...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Hi All,

My Marlin 336 (35Rem) has a Leupold Vari-X III (1.5x5), and so does my wifes M336 (30-30).

I used iron sights when I was a young man. I plinked 12 gauge hulls at 60 yards with a Ruger 22 rimfire pistol, but these days the rear iron sight is blurry, the front iron sight is blurry, and the target is a blob. So, I put the blurs together, over a rest, and pull the trigger. I'm lucky to hit the target at 50 yards while my buddies are using the same rifle to tag targets at 200. So, the scope goes on, and my range moves out. I wouldn't take a shot at a deer without the scope.
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

My two scoped levers. :)

Savage 99 .308 Win. has a Nikon 4X.

Win. 94 has a Weaver K3W.

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I don't care about looks. IMO, if you are going to scope a rifle, get the lowest power that allows you to see the target and one with the largest objective available. For me, the lower the power, the easier it is to hold steady. If you can see your target without magnification at 100, then a 2x should get you to 200.

After reading Jeff Quinns article on the Tasco EXP, I bought one. These were Tasco's top of the line before Tasco was bought out.

http://www.gunblast.com/Tasco_EXP.htm

In comparing it to my 2 other scopes at the same power (Leupold Vari-X II's), it's just as clear an easier to use. On my 358 BLRs with 5 stout rounds, the 10 clicks up, over, down and back returns to zero perfectly.

The first one I bought is in great condition after dragging it through the woods and to the range.

The next two I bought came from the same guy on eBay for $60 shipped...... and he's still selling them for the same price a year later. I assume he worked for Tasco in service and got them all when they closed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TASCO-EXP-1-5-5X32- ... 624wt_1161

On both of the ones I got from him the rubber coating was tacky. Apparently some cleaning solutions react poorly with the rubber. The first one I bought new ($189) is not tacky at all. One of them I dusted with talc and is fine, but the other took a few minutes with some acetone to reveal the lovely matte powder coat below.

I like all three of them very much.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I've got a Burris compact 2X7 on a Savage 99. I had to make a custom scope base because there was not enough ring spacing for this short scope otherwise. It has very good glass and never moves POI. It has been to Africa and back 2X and has done other work in the States. If I were buying a scope I always choose Leupold due to the Gold Ring guarantee and great customer service. In a used scope I don't mind a like new Burris of any kind. I've used some others but none have been as durable, and reliable as the Burris and Leupold.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Post by afish4570 »

Facing the same problem. Old eyes and need all the help I can get. Been thinking of a 4x40 Nikon Buckmaster (on sale now too for $99). I have one on my Ruger #3 4570 and love the crystal ckear optics. I should probably take it off the 4570 and put it on my Marlin or 94AE 3030.Feels ok on the #3 Ruger which is almost like a 1022 in size. Any ideas. Afish4570
afish4570
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

would you rather risk a bad shot and wound an animal because of pride or something ? i'd rather give the animal i am shooting at the respect of trying to make a clean kill if my eyes werent up to it.. 200 yard is along distance :)
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

L_Kilkenny wrote:OK, I've tried to be good, I really have. I've tried different sights, used Williams peep's, tried a 2-7x and thought about scout set-ups and red dots. For shooting (not to be confused with handling, carrying or looks) I have yet to find anything that works as well for me a scope. The others all have drastic disadvantages. Well, hunting season is upon us and I have yet to find a system that I like the looks/feel and that would ALSO allow me and my eyes to use this gun for coyote hunting. I'm not talking the occasional coyote but true running and gunning fashion at ranges from 10 to 200 yards. God, do I hate scopes on this Win 94AE but for hunting, especially in the time frame of a fast approaching hunting season, I believe it may be my only option. Due to money being tight I've decided to forgo a scout set up and stick the a traditional scope, maybe.

My feeling is this: If I'm gonna scope it lets at least make it a scope "acceptable" in the looks/feel department of a lever gun. Thinkin something light with a vintage twist to it. Maybe a 4x20? Maybe find some older glass with a glossy finish?

If you absolutely had to scope a lever gun what would you chose? Is there an older "cool or neat" scope that I should be scouring the internet and gun shops to find? Anyone have something laying in the bottom of the gun locker?

LK
No need at all to be so apologetic. It is your rifle, and a scope with magnification helps you shoot more precisely, I don't care who you are. People have been scoping leverguns for over one hundred years. Same with the old Sharps single shots. The original Sharps rifle company sold almost as many scopes as they did rifles. The reason was, that scopes help you to more precisely place your shot. If it were not so, benchrest shooters would not spend $1500 or more for a good scope. They would have buckhorn sights on a 16 pound bench gun. Competitive rifle shooters only use aperture and open sights in matches which ban optical sights. When they can use a scope, they do so. A hunter can add both distance and time to his hunt by using a quality scope, and he will most likely make better hits. Do not pay attention to the folks who tell you that "You'll never see me with a scope!" They are correct. You won't see them. Most of them never hunt anything, but just sit on the couch and tell others how to hunt.
On any rifle, I like a scope that looks balanced. On a trim levergun, the compact Leupold is a good choice, as is the Trijicon 1.25 to 4 power AccuPoint. Both have plenty of eye relief, and are good, reliable scopes. Anything that makes you a better shot in the field, I am all for it.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Jeff Quinn wrote: Trijicon 1.25 to 4 power AccuPoint. Both have plenty of eye relief, and are good, reliable scopes.
You're not just whistling Dixie about eye relief on the AccuPoint. wow. I have one on a Win 94 AE 357 and wouldn't mind it a bit farther forward.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Weaver V-3 Classic, 1-3x variable, on the BB94AE below - about $149 @ the best online deal/dealer, http://www.swfa.com

Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Looks be darned!

Use the scope set-up that helps you make the shots.

When my eyes were young I turned my nose up at scopes, not anymore. Unless you are set on trying a Scout Scope system, I'd suggest you go with a standard eye relief scope. I like Leupold scopes better than any other, but for an inexpensive scope, Simmons is pretty good.

BTW, even though I'll scope a lever-gun, I stil stand by SDNBOSG (Scopes Do Not Belong On Six-Guns)!!!!!
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

I suppose if I had to scope a lever it would be like this :wink:

L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Believe me boys when I say that I'm not opposed to scopes on lever guns because everyone else thinks that's the way it should be. I just plain can't get used to em being up there. IMO putting a scope on a nice handling lever carbine has a way of turning it into a rifle. A rifle that doesn't feel much handier than a bolt gun. Heck, might as well keep using my 22-250. But for what I'm gonna be using it for I just can't see a way around it.

A compact Leopold "might" work but you/I run into ring spacing issues real fast on a Win94AE. As a matter of fact, the current 2-7x32 that is riding on the gun right now needs high rings with a rear forward offset in order for the scope to go on. That's one of the reasons I'm looking at 20mm objective scopes. I'll be able to go back to standard low rings. Plus I think those Weaver 2.5 and 3's just look nicer in the pictures you boys are posting.

LK
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Jeff Quinn wrote:
L_Kilkenny wrote:OK, I've tried to be good, I really have. I've tried different sights, used Williams peep's, tried a 2-7x and thought about scout set-ups and red dots. For shooting (not to be confused with handling, carrying or looks) I have yet to find anything that works as well for me a scope. The others all have drastic disadvantages. Well, hunting season is upon us and I have yet to find a system that I like the looks/feel and that would ALSO allow me and my eyes to use this gun for coyote hunting. I'm not talking the occasional coyote but true running and gunning fashion at ranges from 10 to 200 yards. God, do I hate scopes on this Win 94AE but for hunting, especially in the time frame of a fast approaching hunting season, I believe it may be my only option. Due to money being tight I've decided to forgo a scout set up and stick the a traditional scope, maybe.

LK
No need at all to be so apologetic. It is your rifle, and a scope with magnification helps you shoot more precisely, I don't care who you are. People have been scoping leverguns for over one hundred years. Same with the old Sharps single shots. The original Sharps rifle company sold almost as many scopes as they did rifles. The reason was, that scopes help you to more precisely place your shot. If it were not so, benchrest shooters would not spend $1500 or more for a good scope. They would have buckhorn sights on a 16 pound bench gun. Competitive rifle shooters only use aperture and open sights in matches which ban optical sights. When they can use a scope, they do so. A hunter can add both distance and time to his hunt by using a quality scope, and he will most likely make better hits. Do not pay attention to the folks who tell you that "You'll never see me with a scope!" They are correct. You won't see them. Most of them never hunt anything, but just sit on the couch and tell others how to hunt. :lol: On any rifle, I like a scope that looks balanced. On a trim levergun, the compact Leupold is a good choice, as is the Trijicon 1.25 to 4 power AccuPoint. Both have plenty of eye relief, and are good, reliable scopes. Anything that makes you a better shot in the field, I am all for it.
You know come to think of it, while out hunting I would say about 9 times out
Of 10 the hunters I run into are totting scoped bolt and pump action guns.
Rarely do I see open sighted guns these days.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I like to keep my main business gun mounted with a scope. I have many leveractions with only iron sights or receiver sights. Really, most of those guns are for hunting at the closer ranges in good light, for the most part, and when I am in the mood to accept not comming home with game, if the shot is not close enough, poor light, etc. and heaven forbid just poor shooting on my part because I can't see the sights well enough.

But when I just can't hardly accept failure, when it comes to getting something killed, regardless of distance, light, etc then there is no disputing the fact that the right scope is the answer to put the odds in your favor.

So, without any apologies, my go to gun is and has been for many years, a Browning BLR in .308 Win, with a Leupold 2 x 7 variable Vari-X II. With this scope I have very forgiving eye relief, and a wide field of view at the low end for close or running shots, and 7 power for those shot on the other side of the field, and in low light. A 1.5 x 5 is a good scope, maybe better at the extream close ranges, but lacks enough brightness and magnifacation for the long shots at dusk. That doesn't mean you can't make a long shot on 5 power with the small 20MM objective, as I once made a 350yd shot on a coyote with the 1.5 x 5, but the light was good, and it ain't always good, that's the problem, espacally with iron sights.
NRA Life Member, Patron
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:wink: If I HAD to....it would be a Leupold 2.5x or a Leupold Vari-X II 1-4x. Although I 've heard good things about the Trijicon 1-4.5x (it's a little bigger in size). I hope it doesn't happen anytime soon..... :lol: Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

I just put a Burris Fullfield II 2-7x 35mm 3P#4 Reticle on a Marlin 1894SS. I am very impressed with the clarity of this scope. 1" groups at 100yds with 270gr Speer Gold Dots and near maximum charge of H110.

"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I am eating fresh heart and liver this morning because yesterday I had a 2-7X Leupold mounted on my 44 Cowboy. In the thick fir reprod that I hunt on stormy days there is no way to make a shot with open sights because you just can't see 'em in the dark conditions. So I was able to make a 100 yard shot through heavy timber AND brush and drive a cast bullet through the chest of my buck simply because of the use of a scope. And there is a pan full of heart frying right now because of that scope.

For open country hunting however, I love using a good williams receiver sight along with a very fine bead front and can make 200-225 yard shots with little problem.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

to me it seems like a scope is great but only when you don't have to deal with a steep trajectory. Because I shoot silhouette I've learned to use a tang sight, and I've found my groups are no better with a scope. I do think the scope is faster on target and that's a good advantage when hunting in brush or woods.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

A Winchester or Marlin carbine is pure perfection in it's handling, size, weight and especially aesthetics. They are touch stones with our past; to a simpler world, where values like honesty and integrity, if not lived, were at least given lip service.

When I carry my 1949 Marlin 336RC in .32 Special, I'm carrying a gun that could easily have been owned by a WWII veteran. Someone that believed in this country enough, to serve at great sacrifice to himself and his family.

I use and hunt with leverguns for some of the same reasons I hunt with longbows and recurves. Simple, clean, elegant and very effective tools, that work extremely well for the job in which they were made.
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Goat »

I will never apologize for using what allows me to make a clean shot. I guess because I grew up shooting scopes they just seem natural for me. I hunted for one year without a scope on a rifle and that was only because I had not mowed enough lawns to pay for a scope that summer along with the rifle. The next summer I puchased Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8x scope. I have never looked back. I have owned a few other brands and have killed a few deer with them but anything that I am serious about gets a Leupold. I have more 2-7s than anything but really like the 2.5-8x scopes that I have on my favorites. The 1.5-5x or even the 1-4x should be able to do all that you wish to do and both have the 20mm objective that sets low and looks great on a levergun.
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

afish4570 wrote:Facing the same problem. Old eyes and need all the help I can get. Been thinking of a 4x40 Nikon Buckmaster (on sale now too for $99). I have one on my Ruger #3 4570 and love the crystal ckear optics. I should probably take it off the 4570 and put it on my Marlin or 94AE 3030.Feels ok on the #3 Ruger which is almost like a 1022 in size. Any ideas. Afish4570
If I had a Ruger # 3 in .45-70, I'd mount an 18" long 10-40x benchrest scope on it.

My reason would be just to add some weight before I had to shoot that light weight cannon!

Now, I wouldn't actually USE the scope - I'd mount it safely out of the way, on an under-barrel 'tactical' rail, and use a good old Marble's Bullseye iron sight on the barrel... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

So what is the going rate for a Weaver K3 anyhow?

LK
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

L_Kilkenny wrote:So what is the going rate for a Weaver K3 anyhow?

LK
Should be able to pick up a nice one for around $50.00.
Paid $38.00 for my K3 wide view in perfect condition. :idea: :)
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

WOW :!: :!:

Guess the K3-W's have gone up in price over the
past 5 yrs. or so. :shock:

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displ ... 401354&oh=
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Marlins yes.... newer markins anyway......winchesters no!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Post by afish4570 »

Began with K2.5 and K3's about 49 yrs. ago. I have a couple fogged up and always though about having the cleaned & recharged as the "new" weaver co. doesn't honor the lifetime warranty for the old ones. Anyone have any experience having the older scopes repaired??afish470 :roll: :roll:
afish4570