OT: Oklahoma

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bobbyjack
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT: Oklahoma

Post by bobbyjack »

Modoc ED wrote:Just to give you guys in Oklahoma a wake up call and a frightening thought:

I was born in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma in 1943 (moved/left in 1948) (and this is where the frightening part comes in)and I might just go back for a visit sometime.

Bearing that in mind "UncleBuck", you may want to reconsider your proposed move to OK. :)
darn you are an old fanny burp aren't you ,I was born in ST Anthonys Hosp in 1945 ! Fridays child running wild!!!

Bob
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Speaking of Oklahoma, I am in a hotel down in Norman, right now. Will go to Chickasha and the surrounding area tomorrow, then head up towards Tulsa, on Friday, to finish some business.

Can't believe how much it has grown from Moore, to Norman. Been along time since I was down this way as I usually go down the H.E.Bailey turnpike instead.

Wife has hinted about moving back, maybe the Mustang area, but I prefer some hills, so would want the NE part of the state. Course, they are little dirt mounds compared to Colorado, but hills nonetheless.

Is Tri-City gun club still open? Used to belong about 20 years ago, and shot also at OKC gun club and a bit at the Zink ranch range. Into IHMSA then.

Oh, still haven't forgotten how to say Y'all.
Its nice to come visit old friends, when I have business here.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

The only good bar in Chickasha is the brick one down by the railroad tracks.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

DBW wrote:I moved to Oklahoma City in 1980 when I was sixteen. I'm officially an Okie and even have the accent.

I lived in Norman for awhile back in the late '80s. It's a great town with everthing you'd ever want available. Sadly it's growing like crazy and likely will lose it's college town aura. The ten miles of open space between Norman and Moore (next town north on I35) is now filled with strip malls, houses and people. I can remember when there were only wheat fields and grazing cattle.

I pretty much left the OKC area after my divorce in 2001. I bought five acres of land just north of Antlers, Oklahoma in the southeastern part of the state. That's home for me now and this fall I'll be bringing my Canadian wife down at which time we'll build our cabin and hide out from the world when not cruising around the country in this Kenworth. She's looking forward to the move though she has some concerns about the heat. I keep telling her that she'll acclimate. :lol:
Have you seen any of them bigfoots from around Honobia yet?

http://bigfootmountain.com/
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

UncleBuck wrote:
JReed wrote:
Just remember it isn't a pop its a soda and you will be fine. :w
I call my Dad "POP," and call pop soda :lol:
You'll do just fine :lol: . If you live in or around Norman you're biggest worries will be ice storms, tornadoes, and OU home football games.

Come on down.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Thunder50 wrote:Is Tri-City gun club still open? Used to belong about 20 years ago, and shot also at OKC gun club and a bit at the Zink ranch range. Into IHMSA then.

Still there.

Rob

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

If any of you Okies are going to be in the Shawnee area give me a hollar and I'll buy the coffee or SODA'S :lol: . Be good to have a get together, compare rifles and and have a lie swapping match. :D

Rob

Because I can!

firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Warhawk wrote:Have you seen any of them bigfoots from around Honobia yet?
http://bigfootmountain.com/
Never seen one, but if you hunt in the Honobia or Neshoba area my advice is stay close to the fire at night and sleep with a gun close at hand.

Rob

Because I can!

DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

firefuzz wrote:If any of you Okies are going to be in the Shawnee area give me a hollar and I'll buy the coffee or SODA'S :lol: . Be good to have a get together, compare rifles and and have a lie swapping match. :D

Rob
Sounds like a plan. :D
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
SR James
Levergunner

Post by SR James »

I've live in Norman since 1973, wouldn't live anywhere else. I even work at OU. Okies are very friendly people, one of the things I like the most about Oklahoma. The fact that you're posting on this forum suggests you'll fit in just fine. I have friends originally from Mass. who chose to retire here. They were in the military and have lived a lot of places but liked Oklahoma best. Oklahoma is one of the reddest states in the country, Norman possibly a little less so because of the Unversity. Gives the place a unique flavor; where else could you know a Vegan that carries a gun? Norman has doubled in size since I moved here (now about 100,000) and still growing. Oklahoma City is a very short drive for things Norman doesn't have.
Cost of living is lower here than almost anywhere else. Weather is highly variable; summers can be very hot but winters are usually fairly mild and cold snaps don't normally last too long. In all the years I've lived here, I've only had to seek shelter during a tornado warning twice.
Oklahoma has a multitude of environments. You can go from bayous in the southeast to mesas in the panhandle, with eastern woodlands, the Cross Timbers and prairie in between. Norman is centrally located to all of it. I like it.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

If I could change one thing about Oklahoma is to change it over to an Open Carry and Concealed Carry WITHOUT PERMIT state like Vermont and Alaska.
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

dang...my wife and i went back to Heavener a couple of years ago and it's darn near a ghost town now! all of main street was all boarded up.

sad to see...a wonderful little town where i spent many happy times and days; it was founded during the civil war, survived three major wars, a major depression and now is dying from ... who knows what?

we may end up back there, yet...who knows?
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Btw, I encourage OK residents on this forum to sign the open carry petition here if they haven't done so and agree with it:

http://www.petitiononline.com/oc4ok/petition.html
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Open carry would be nice...

I have noted that the thriving towns in this state have things in common:

Investor-owned electric service

A college or university

Military base

Electric and all utility services are a cities to run as they see fit or tax a franchised operator who is allowed to serve the city. We have a few cities with top notch operations ...others- not so much.
The problem is that towns can dump all the revenue from utility operations into 'the general fund' as an offest to the "low" property taxes. The poles, wires, gas lines, trucks, people who work for most of the cities are underpaid, (some underqualifed) and obsolete.

People with industrial businsess want cheap rates, and RELIABLE service...many of our towns just cannot AFFORD to add service for a plant or new subdivision .... a giant problem caused by the way we run utilities in this state.

Sales tax... average over 8% in most cities. Why shop at home when I can drive to OKC and pay less? Property taxes are 'cheap' and have to be offset with high sales taxes.

One of our little "cities" lost 80% of it's revenue when it's only resturant burned a couple of months ago... it's a wacked out system that just doesnt want to work if you want to keep a small town healthy.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

donw,

Heavener, OK. That name sounds familiar, from the past. Does Heavener have any special historical significance attached to it, or am I getting my info confused?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Heavener is about midway down the eastern border of OK.

There is a stone nearby that many think was engraved by Norse explorers in pre columbian times.

Hevener was a railroad town ... and there is a big poultry plant there... the poultry plant allegedly hires a lot of illegals
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

you only need to learn two words

Fixin and wreckin

your fixin to leave and I wreckin I better get going.

do that and everything will be OK

^
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Thanks Hillbilly, the Norse stone, is what I vaguely remember reading about. :o
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry