Hunting rant

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Hunting rant

Post by JReed »

Ok so here it is deer season again. Second season in a row that I don't have a place to hunt here in Indiana. Public land here is few and far between which means every body and there brother is on it including those that have no business throwing rocks let alone tromping around with a firearm. :evil: I really miss being on a base where hunting is good and competition is limited or out west where there is enough space that you don't run into many folks.
All the land owners I talk to have no interest in sharing their honey holes when it comes to deer (dont blame them they pay for the land) but they are more then happy for me to come after season is done to shoot yotes all be it fun dogs aren't what I like for sunday dinner.
As far as game meat I do have an invite to bust bunnys to bad I am the only one in the house that eats them.

Just disgruntled rant off
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Hunting rant

Post by OI phones in... »

FWIW, in the 6 years I lived here I never found a single "non public" place to hunt with a firearm.

All of my Indiana firearm deer were taken during closed "park hunts" up at Dunes State Park.

IIRC they didn't do a draw this year, so nex year they should have one. Make sure you apply.

The only other place in IN I've hunted is the UDZ archery season in the "plant conservancy" park in town.
Last edited by OI phones in... on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

GOT GUN? Get T-Shirt!! Stand up & fight Prohibition!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Hate to hear that, Gunny. I'll do ya one better, I haven't been hunting deer in like five years. I really hope to remedy that next year.
Old Law Dawg
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

OI phones in... wrote:FWIW, in the 6 years I lived here I never found a single "non public" place to hunt with a firearm.

All of my Indiana firearm deer were taken during closed "park hunts" up at Dunes State Park.

IIRC they didn't do a draw this year, so nex year they should have one. Make sure you apply.

The only other place in IN I've hunted is the UDZ archery season in the "plant conservancy" park in town.
I hope they do the Dunes next year but now they are talking of moving me to the southern end of the state so may not be able to get up there next season.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Jeremy I've got some friends in southern IN. If you do go down that way let me know and maybe I can get them to hook you up with a place to hunt. He's a former Army guy and a hunter himself, good people. I think they are near a little town called Santa Claus, IN.
NRA Life Member
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there JReed - Save up a few days leave and figure on coming out here to Washington for a few days. I almost took out a big ol' 10 point mulie with my truck on the way into town this afternoon. I have a cowboy friend that has 10,000 (ten thousand) acres of "permit" land crawling with deer and turkeys 10 miles up the highway from me. He usually has about 60 deer in his hayfields every evening. I'd be happy to have ya. Best regards. Wind
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

It's only going to get worse. The US population is forecast to bust though half a billion before the end of the century, possibly one billion by the end of the century.

Before I moved overseas, I knew a kindly old farmer who'd let me hunt on his wooded land. I don't know who has that farm now.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Good luck finding a good spot!
Last edited by madman4570 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

PM sent.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Pick a state in the south....and hunt there...
Florida has hundreds of thousand acres for hunting...
Most states in the south have a pretty good Wildlife Management areas...
or lease the land from a farmer........
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I don't know how seasons are run in Indiana but a good source of private land to hunt in my state can come from the Fish and Game people. Here every year they create a list of private land owners that want deer removed from their property. This usually requires legwork before applying for your permit as licenses are county specific here. It also means that you may be asked to shoot anterless deer. I know people that have gotten their foot in the door with landowners this way and developed long term hunting "rights" with their new friends. It's a fact of life to have problems hooking up with landowners in a new area for hunting privileges, this is one way to do it. It may not work for you this year, but it may well set you up for next.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sorry to hear that Jeremy. Good luck to you in your search for some private land to hunt on. I agree with you completely - in Michigan when I lived there, hunting on public land was suicidal. Every idiot with a rifle came up from Detroit, and they were bound and determined to shoot something - and didn't care much what it was! :shock:
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Hi Jeremy, now that opening weekend has passed you may find that the public grounds are not quite as crowded. Down here I have several thousand acres surrounding the Salamonie Reservoir that is overrun on opening weekend, and then tapers off to almost no orange in sight before the 2 weeks are over. The DNR has some of it planted for game, the river bottom it's self gets really rough going, but the edges near farm land have a lot of deer. There's also the Huntington Reservoir, the Salamonie State forest in Wabash county, and the Mississinawa Reservoir in Grant and Wabash counties. I'm not hunting this year account will be leaving for Illinois tomorrow and won't be back until the end of the month. Don't give up, all these lands are within an hour drive of your homestead. You just have to hunt a little harder. Good luck.
UNITE
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Jeremy, start your leg work early next year. There is a lot of elderly people who need help taking care of their land . Cleaning up down trees , fixing fence , cutting firewood. Put an ad in the paper to help with land maintainence in exchange for a chance to hunt.

Stewardship of the land is the most time consuming for the land owner. Hunting is the icing on the cake. I think that is a big reason behind not being able to get hunting access to private land. If you help in taking care of the land all year , you get to share the rewards. Taking care of a track of land is a reward itself.

My buddy helps a divorced lady take care of her 80 acres and cuts firewood for her. The property is within 30 miles of Milwaukee. He has so much success deer hunting that he doesn't come hunt with me anymore.

I wish the Wisconsin DNR would start a stewardship program to help connect elderly land owners with people who want to hunt. Everybody would come away happy. Your always welcome to come to Wisconsin to hunt with me. Good Luck in your quest.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Jeremy here's a word to the wise for you from a landowner that gets bombarded by folks wanting permission to hunt (me)
Take those guys up on the offer to shoot coyotes. While you're there if you see them out working on something, ask if they need some help. Blow off the days coyote shoot if the job they're doing takes all day so be it. If you see them in town ask if they have time for a cup of coffee or a burger, your treat. When you go out to shoot coyotes or bunnies etc, bring along a little treat, ie fancy fudge , special roast coffee beans etc.
If you take the time to let the landowner know they represent something to you other than a freeby place to go kill something once a year, you'll likely find you've got a place to hunt. Maybe not the first day, maybe not the choicest spots, but the chances of getting permission will be better.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Are hunting leases available in Indiana? I understand they can be expensive, but maybe you could go in on one with some friends to reduce the cost.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
allhands
Levergunner 2.0

Post by allhands »

Sorry to hear about your troubles. The only good thing about the peoples republic of Maine is that if the property is NOT posted, you can hunt on it. Add that to the millions of acres of paper company land that is open and we have alot of opportunity!
Bill Nowicki
Headed "upta camp"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Gunny, get thee to the 'puter and look at Jeffereson Proving Grounds down in south east on the river......best kept secret for a white tail hunt..... I just kind of dabble in hunting, and I got one(shotgun/BP) or two (archery) each year..... There also used to be good hunting on state land down in Brown County (Columbus, IN)....Honestly, I don't think you're looking too hard. :P Just find a decent Army Buck SGT to show ya the ropes :P )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

If I ever become a billionaire ( :lol: ) I'm going to buy massive amounts of land in various states and leave it open for all kinds of recreational use with an emphasis on hunting and fishing. I'll put up liability waivers instead of POSTED signs. :idea:

Too bad I'm really bad at making money :cry:
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Gents thanks for the replies and advice.

Don McDowell
I fully intend to get out there and shoot their dogs for them I would rather shoot dogs then deer but I refuse to eat coyote :) . The people I have talked with I have only talked to about dogs with the hope that deer would come up at a later date. I always offer to lend a hand on all the properties I have hunted and always bring the Missus some thing nice when I come by.

BlaineG
I have looked into there. My issue is limited time I typically work from 8:30am-8-9pm Mon-Fri and sometimes on Sat. So a drive down there wouldn't leave much time to get much hunting in.

BenT
If I was at a regular duty station that is exactly what I would do. I have done that in the past to get permission to hunt dogs in Ca and it works great.

Mokwaw
I am out by Roush all the time I tend to forget about it. I will have to check it out.

Thanks again I appreciate the advice. Under normal terms I would make use of them and in 1.5 years when I go back to the fleet I will.
Last edited by JReed on Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Jeremy, You said you are still in the Marines??? Dont laugh but place an ad in the newspaper classifieds saying somthing like (active Marine serving his country desires help from some good American to let myself deer hunt on their property) I bet you get calls off the hook to let you!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

madman4570 wrote:Jeremy, You said you are still in the Marines??? Dont laugh but place an ad in the newspaper classifieds saying somthing like (active Marine serving his country desires help from some good american to let myself deer hunt on their property) I bet you get calls off the hook to let you!
Duh why didn't I think of that. :oops: To be honest my wife said the same thing I just feel weird asking for that sort of charity guess I just need to swallow my pride I just don't like all the attention for just doing my job. I may have to bite the bullet I'll call the paper and see how much it costs for an add.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Dude, Do it! I am very serious. You will make someone feel very good, and this could turn into a life long friendship. Do not be too proud(do it)Next year you come up and hunt with me!
See ya!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1056221
Scroll down to #27 This one taken buy my woods!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Gunny:

With your woods skills and special training, maybe you can make the public land work for you.

Get some topo maps and a healthy dose of "local knowledge" to find out where most people hunt those parcels of public land. Bet 90% will stay 1/4 to 1/2 mile from their trucks, that's it...

USE that info to determine where you park, where you set up, etc. If they all access a parcel from the east and south ends, then find access from the north or west -- hike into the land and when all the public "hunts" (or so they call it), there's a good chance they will move something in your direction.

You will have to hike more than the others perhaps, but this is the way my brothers and I used to hunt public lands north of Boston when I used to live down there. (Long time ago...) They still do this today, and it can be a very effective hunting strategy for hunting public lands.

Or... You're welcome to come on over to Maine! Dee and the boys are welcome too! :wink:

Good luck!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Thats some very good advice Old No 7 :wink:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Old No7 wrote:Gunny:

With your woods skills and special training, maybe you can make the public land work for you.

Get some topo maps and a healthy dose of "local knowledge" to find out where most people hunt those parcels of public land. Bet 90% will stay 1/4 to 1/2 mile from their trucks, that's it...

Or... You're welcome to come on over to Maine! Dee and the boys are welcome too! :wink:

Good luck!

Old No7
Oh I know your right. My only down side is I don't stand hunt. I grew up in spot and stock open country you have more actual woods skills in you pinky finger then I do in my whole body. All my special training is geared to open ruff terrain with long shots and heavy packs. With my style of hunting I am likely to tick off a lot of stand hunters. But I will get some maps and see what I can come up with in the way of a plan.
I am betting once the temps drop and there is snow on the ground the only people left in the woods will be the hard core hunters (or the nut jobs like myself :wink: ). Regular firearms season ends here on Nov 29th then it is late archery and muzzle loader seasons so there should be even less folks out and about. I can dress warm enough and I have both front stuffers and a bow so I am good for both (the nice part about moving so much you are armed for every hunting occasion).

We would love to come out to Maine and see you all but I just can't get that sort of time off work :(
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Jeremy,
Dont let the"woodskills"in any way deter you from the advice of Old No 7 :wink:

You need to:Be in shape to get to the further location.(you are)
Find a place that has some good shooting lanes in woods yet does provide you with a little cover(like you are trained to do)You for sure can do that buddy.
Be as odor free as possible going into the direction of wind in your face if possible, and at destination maybe put out a few cover deer scents say 30 yards out and in view of you.(dont have too though)Just be setup to have your game come into your view with your scent going away from them.
Dont Move if possible/No Noise/Move Slow when you do have to move/ and WHAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

You could probably teach me a bunch guy??? Come on now??????????
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

JReed wrote:
madman4570 wrote:Jeremy, You said you are still in the Marines??? Dont laugh but place an ad in the newspaper classifieds saying somthing like (active Marine serving his country desires help from some good american to let myself deer hunt on their property) I bet you get calls off the hook to let you!
Duh why didn't I think of that. :oops: To be honest my wife said the same thing I just feel weird asking for that sort of charity guess I just need to swallow my pride I just don't like all the attention for just doing my job. I may have to bite the bullet I'll call the paper and see how much it costs for an add.
Jeremy,
Don't think for a minute that you are just doing your job. That's not how many/most of us feel.
IMO many folk would be ecstatic to find a way to honor your service by providing you a place to hunt. I sure would, if I had the means. It's not charity, as a matter of fact you'd be doing someone a favor by letting them do something good for a member of our military.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

Post by OI phones in... »

"Using" your Status is no mor accepting "charity" than is getting a "Resident" hunting tag in whatever State you are deployed in this month...
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

GOT GUN? Get T-Shirt!! Stand up & fight Prohibition!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I hear y'all. I just feel weird about it I know it makes no sense. When I first came in nobody really thanked us but once a year at least not around where I grew up but since 9/11 everybody and their brother stops me when I am in uniform. (now here is the mental issues part) I just have a hard time taking credit I didn't come in in war time or really come in out of a great sense of patriotism but out of family tradition. The guys that impress me and who I feel deserve it are these kids that have come in in the past 8 years knowing they were running toward the sound of the guns ( I know it ain't rational but I do have issues). But I will take y'alls advice and getter done.

I will say I have no shortage of places to shoot dogs which really is my favorite game to hunt. Quite a few of my Pooles ( young men and women in the delayed entry program) have been blowing up my phone to go out with me and take me places to whack song dogs :D . So I should be able to stack up a fair amount of these beautiful northern pelts I see on the coyotes around here. See there is always a bright side. Plus a few of the members here are offering invitations or pulling strings to get me out in the woods.

So what started as me whining and complaining has turned 180 and I may take a deer yet this year. :) Thank You all very much.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

One more quick note and I will stop ranting on your post Jeremy :oops:

The part where you say about the mental thing "come in out of a great sense of patriotism but out of family tradition." It is =====(Love of Country,and Family)
Bud, I think you have to fix that mental thing right now! Because I think they are very closely connected.I think your family is Very Patriotic and that is the sole reason itself this ties in with your families tradition and love for Country and family.
Brave Family Sacrafice "protecting and defending our Country" family member after family member====== Patriotism friend. Both one in the same! And also---Dont matter when you joined,you joined knowing the day you joined and every day there after it could start up. Please let us thank you, and accept the thanks from all! It makes us feel good. See ya Guy!
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

JReed, you've gotten some good advice. I know it's tough being relatively new to an area, and it's always a matter of who you know in order to find private hunting areas. I'm also sure it's tough changing the mind set from being a western hunter to an eastern hunter. Just keep in mind, the vast majority of deer taken in Indiana are shot during opening weekend of firearms season, which means a lot of hunters aren't out there the rest of the time. Most people won't hunt during bad weather (wet or cold), or walk farther than a couple hundred yards to their stand. So if you're willing to get a little creative or do a little more work there is ample opportunity to do some hunting on public land. I don't know how much public hunting land you have available in your part of the state, but there is a lot down south. I've had some good luck in the Hoosier National Forest around the Patoka Lake area and you'd probably have a hard time bumping into someone there during late archery or muzzle loader season. Don't forget about the special youth season during the last weekend of September. I know it's too late for this year, but it's a great opportunity for the young uns to get their shot before anybody else.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Nemhed
I was planning on taking my oldest son next year for the youth day next year if he can ever start behaving in school.

I have had a couple invites and have been taking a hard look at the local public areas. We have family coming out until the 5th of Dec so will be busy till they head home. Then I should be able to get out there and hit it for Muzzle loader and late Archery seasons. Thanks all for your advice thoughts and opinions. I greatly appreciate it and yes I will follow your suggestions.

madman4570
I hear you and will relent to your wisdom. Thank you.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis