TONASKET SILHOUETTE MATCH FOR NOVEMBER

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

TONASKET SILHOUETTE MATCH FOR NOVEMBER

Post by Wind »

Tonasket Silhouette Match for November

Today dawned cool and clear. 10 degrees at my place and the sun was indeed rising in the East. There seem to be an infinite number of options in Silhouette shooting. I decided to take the 1893 Marlin in 32-40 that recently landed on my doorstep. I have been sorting it out with the intention of shooting a match with it. I was fairly comfortable with the sight settings, but the load, while accurate, was an unknown regarding power. It was 80% of my standard 30-30 load I have been shooting long range and silhouette with since Moses was in the third grade.

The snow from Friday was only a couple inches deep at the range. White targets positioned in front of a white snowy berm wasn’t gonna work. We turned all the targets around to show the black back sides. The black disappeared where the berms were bare. We finally turned the white sides out again and swept the snow off the berms with brooms. Who says shooters aren’t dedicated?

I had concerns that the less than perfect bore on the old Marlin would foul after forty of fifty rounds and the accuracy would fall off. My side kick for the match agreed to start on the turkeys and that would put us through the rams before half the rounds for the match had been shot. That was a good plan.

The low, bright, winter sun was shinning from behind me and over my right shoulder. The front sight bead on this rifle had been broken off eons ago and no blue remained on the rear face of the rear sight leaf. I shot the turkeys and the rams totally unable to line up any part of the sights shinning and diffused in the bright light. That part of the match didn’t go to well needless to say! Remember the part about an 80% load. Those turkeys and rams I was lucky enough to hit rang beautifully and stood there looking back at me. More powder!!

We moved on down to the chickens. My feet were freezing off now, but the sun was higher in the sky. The old Marlin went ten for ten on the chickens. If I’m ever attacked by a chicken I won’t hesitate to reach for the 1893. Was nine for ten on the pigs, and got to thinking about the tenth shot and that was where it stayed. I have found that if I think, I’ll weaken the team.

Silhouette is always fun, always a challenge, and will produce a continuous series of face cramping grins. My sidekick was shooting a ’92 clone in 45 Colt. Watching his bullets arc into the flat critters was another source of those “is there something the matter with that guy” grins. In spite of everything written, you just need to get out and shoot this game and use whatever you have. The guy that won today brought his Winchester Trapper in 45 Colt because he forgot to get some 45-70 loaded for his ’86. Shot a 35.

Best regards. Wind
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Re: TONASKET SILHOUETTE MATCH FOR NOVEMBER

Post by w30wcf »

Wind,
Thank you for the report and for making that vintage .32-40 talk once again. Quite a challange with the cold and snow! Yep...the Sun reflecting off of a front sight can make accurate shooting impossible....been there myself. Wow a 35 in those conditions...and with a .45 Colt at that! Was that on the 200 meter course? Any idea what load(s) he was using?

Thank you again,
w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

As always, sounds like you had a good time despite the conditions. And, isn't that the purpose of the game. The person shooting the 45 seems to have his load and sights down that's for sure. Take care, hope to get up for another shoot. Probably in the spring when I won't have to drive on black ice and in the fog to get up there. Plus, it'll give me a chance to get my load and tang sight working together.
Old Law Dawg
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

w30wcf - Yes indeed, the rams were on the 200 meter line. I don't know what his loads were but with the low sun, his bullets could be seen arcing through the sky like a snowball. I knew that front sight might be a problem, but I really wanted to do the whole match with a completely stock 113 year old rifle, as is. I'll see if I can get a little stouter load sorted out and try it again. Best regards. Wind
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Wind,
Thank you for that info. Regarding vintage less than perfect barrels, I have a '73 Winchester .44 W.C.F. made in 1882 that has a somewhat rough barrel. I have found that with 12 bhn plain based bullets (w.w + 2% tin) pushed by slower burning smokeless (2400, 4227, 4759, 5744, RL7) that rifle will continue to give good accuracy for at least 2 boxes (100 rounds) of cartridges. The reason I said 100 is that is the most I have fired before cleaning. :D

Hopefully, your vintage .32-40 will do the same. If you don't mind my asking, what bullet(s) are you using?

Thank you,
w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
NRA Life member
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there w30wcf - Started with Laser-Cast sized to .322 and had dismal results. Was on the verge of reboring the rifle to 38-55. Dave Jennings of Montana Bullet Works offers a very wide selection of bullets. He cast me up some gas checked 170 grainers sized to .324 and the difference in accuracy was astounding. They are a Brinnel hardness of 22. Here is a target from Monday. I went back up to 8 grains of Unique and thought I'd check for accuracy again as I had just beat a new front sight on the rifle. The first three shot group, and a second three after a slight sight adjustment. Had a strong 25 knot cross wind from right to left, so wasn't to worked up over final windage adjustments. This was at 50 yards.

Had a second load worked up with 14 grains of 2400 and wanted to see how it was for accuracy. Stuck on a second target bulls eye. The lower one. Held a six o'clock hold and launched three. They produced the flyer at 10 o'clock and the pencil is pointing to the other two. 7 INCHES HIGH! This was still at 50 yards.

Picked up a chunk of 3/8 inch steel plate today to build a knock down target to check for power. Different width bases will require more or less energy to tip over. Hope to get to that tomorrow at some point.

I honestly can't remember how many rounds I fired before I noticed the accuracy falling off. It could easily have been a hundred or two. This is a really fun rifle to shoot. I love shoving those long tapered cases into the magazine and hearing them bounce up on the carrier and then the action snick shut. The fact that it shoots like crazy is cool too!!

If you have issues with some of your older guns, either casting, or sizing, give Dave a shout at 406.655.8163.

Hope this helps. Wind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Wind,
Thank you for the additional info. Looks like the ole' Marlin does well when fed the proper recipe.

One of the reasons that those OT bullets did not work is possibly because they are too hard. Of course the diameter could also play an important role. With a gas check, bullet hardness does not seem to matter that much....unless higher velocities are needed (1800+ f.p.s.).

If you cast, I have an old Ideal gas checked bullet mold designed specifically for the .32-40 High Power (gas check) I could loan you. It was originally designed in 1906-1907. This bullet shot very well from a friends .32-40.
Bullet weight in w.w. + 2% tin is around 180 grs. as I recall.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
NRA Life member
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there w30wcf - I sure do appreciate Ideal mold loan offer. I got leaded up pretty badly RO-ing an indoor facility back in the late 80's. Most of the other RO's ended up in the hospital getting de-leaded. I gave up casting then so as to reduce any further major exposure. Still have my equipment but keep it stored in case of emergency. I think the 14 grains of 2400 will do well tipping over rams. The bore on this rifle slugged to .3225 so Dave's .324's seem to be playing very well. Between the wind, a project, and the cows down range, didn't get much shooting done today. Did get the new front sight on, so hopefully we'll see how it plays tomorrow. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted. Best regards. Wind
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Wind,
Sorry to hear of your bout with lead poisoning. :shock: Lead dust from indoor ranges not properly vented is not a good thing! I know a fellow who owns an indoor range / gunshop. When he first cleaned the lead from the bullet trap he got a severe case of lead poisoning. Fortunately, he recovered ok and after that used the proper mask/filter.

In my experience, there is no risk of lead poisoning from casting bullets, as long as the alloy temp is kept within the normal casting temps. I have been casting since 1974 and have a physical every year with blood work. No issues with lead so far....thankfully.

If, I have a chance this winter, I'll run some bullets from that vintage mold and send some to you.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
NRA Life member
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

w30wcg - Thanks for the casting offer. I'd love to give them a shot (!). I'm probably being overly cautious with the casting thing. I do have plenty on my plate most of the time, so picking them up at the P.O. Box is a nice convenience. Best regards. Wind
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Thanks for another great report......I truly hope the planets line up so I can make a weekend out of it next year......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there BlaineG - You know you're always welcome here. It would be fun to have ya. A pair of Sorrels would be a good idea if you come for the December shoot!! Best regards. Wind