New Rossi/Braztech 92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

New Rossi/Braztech 92

Post by Warhawk »

I now have three of the little Rossi 92 carbines, 2 stainless trappers and one EMF color case receiver SRC.

I recently received a LSI/PUMA Rossi 92 in 44 Mag that I bought from Steve Young, after he performed his magic on it. It's got a couple of flaws, but nothing I can't live with. The fit of the metal buttplate to the stock is the main problem, along with the finish of the buttplate itself (sharp edges and a nasty burr).

I liked the handling of the 44 so well that I decided to get a matching 357. I found one listed on the website for Sporting Arms in Lewisville, TX and ordered it. Turns out to be the new production from Rossi/Braztech. The wood to metal fit is better on this one, but the wood isn't quite right on this one either. The markings are different, but otherwise the two rifles are identical. I have not decided if I'm sending this one to Steve, or if I'll tackle smoothing up this one myself.

You really don't know how much Steve's action job helps these little rifles until you have a new one to compare to. This new 357 is rough even just cocking the hammer, the trigger has a ridiculously strong return spring, and it has just an overall gritty feel to the action. In comparison the worked over 44 operates like a hot knife through butter.

The 357 is the one that still has the safety (bottom)
Full size image ... http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/P1020537.JPG

Full size image ... http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/P1020538.JPG

This is the 357, you can see the feathering of the wood. This occurs on both sides of the forearm, and at the tang. Should be an easy fix though.
Full size image ... http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/P1020539.JPG

You can see that the 44 is just marked "44 Magnum" on the barrel, while the 357 is marked ROSSI Model 92 38 Spl & 357 Mag
Full size image ... http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/P1020540.JPG

My pics of the tang markings didn't turn out, the disturbing one is the lower tang where the new one is marked MADE IN BRAZIL BY TAURUS.
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Re: New Rossi/Braztech 92

Post by Lobo »

Sorry Guys,

I'm under the weather....my comments were not up to standards.
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
gglass
Levergunner

Post by gglass »

I'm with you on the "Made in America" sentiment. My only problem there is that you cannot find a new Winchester 1892 rifle. After the 2009 Shot Show, Winchester sold a limited edition run of .357 Mag and .44 Mag 1892's, but good luck finding one. My only choices for an acquiring a new production 1892 was either Rossi from Brazil or Chiappa from Italy.

I currently own .44 Mag and .357 Mag Rossi M92 Puma rifles, but I would snatch up a new production Winchester 1892 in a New York minute if Winchester would just start production again.
"The heart Ramon. Aim for the heart or you'll never stop me."
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

gglass wrote:I'm with you on the "Made in America" sentiment. My only problem there is that you cannot find a new Winchester 1892 rifle. After the 2009 Shot Show, Winchester sold a limited edition run of .357 Mag and .44 Mag 1892's, but good luck finding one. My only choices for an acquiring a new production 1892 was either Rossi from Brazil or Chiappa from Italy.

I currently own .44 Mag and .357 Mag Rossi M92 Puma rifles, but I would snatch up a new production Winchester 1892 in a New York minute if Winchester would just start production again.
The "new" Winchester 92s were made in Japan. And apparently the "new" 94's are to be made there too.
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by two bit okie »

I am in the process of putting new wood on my rossi. I got a new black walnut carbine stock from gunstocks inc and the wood is beautiful. If, as I hope to do in phoenix at the gun show, I find another rossi for a good price, Yeahhh, sure, I will add it to my collection and immediatly order a new stock and fore end for it.

lotsa work but well worth it.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

In any case, your M92's look good to me, congrats. And Steve's work has spoiled me, his M92's are just plain great.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I've got a Browning 92 in 357 that could really use new wood. I've never done that kind of work before but may have to give it a try.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The photos point up one of the Puma's big, continuing problems: the tin-can rear sight the Brazilians seem so proud of.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Buck Elliott wrote:The photos point up one of the Puma's big, continuing problems: the tin-can rear sight the Brazilians seem so proud of.
I agree. That's why I either replace them with one of these...

ImageImage

or one of these (although this one's on a Marlin)...

ImageImage
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Perzackly...

Which is just what I did to the first one I had. ( a .357...) I also made a new front sight for it, from an old Mauser '98 military front sight. Silver-soldered it to the barrel. Jack rabbits and coyotes were not safe out to 200 yards, with 125-gr. JHP ammunition.

None of the succeeding copies in my ever-changing battery was deemed accurate enough to warrent the new sight, although some of them were serviceable enough...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Since I've done about 99% of my iron sight shooting with a handgun, I kind of like the patridge style sights on the Rossi 92's. The EMF Hartford series has bead front and semi buckhorn rear sights that I don't like (or shoot) nearly as well.