A parcel came by post

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

A parcel came by post

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Yesterday I got a parcel with an old El Paso Weaver K4-1 for my Winchester 88. It now sits in an Weaver pivot mount, which allows immediate use of the iron sights. The view through it is unexspectedly clear, and the tube shows no signs of use. I think that I made a good deal vhen I bought for 60$.

I haven't shot the gun with this scope mounted, but I hope that it will work fine. At least these scopes have a good reputation, and it looks properly at the rifle. Supposedly the rifle and the scope are nearly the same vintage.

Old Sh.
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: A parcel came by post

Post by gamekeeper »

Old Shatterhand,
Good to hear from you again. :D Looking forward to the range report.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Glad you found a nice scope of the same vintage.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Glad you got what you wanted...Nice set up... but I'm wondering is it now in bad taste to put a not of the same date or era of manufacture scope and mount on a rifle factory D&T'd from the 50s or 60s..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Good for you. Nothing better than appropriately putting a piece together. Sounds like you got a good deal on the scope.
Old Law Dawg
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Glad you got what you wanted...Nice set up... but I'm wondering is it now in bad taste to put a not of the same date or era of manufacture scope and mount on a rifle factory D&T'd from the 50s or 60s..
Thanks for all your friendly comments! :)

Hopefully it will not be bad taste to use modern optics on older guns. Function should always be more important than good taste. :wink:

However, I think that the scope will do good job. And there are always the iron sights to use if I don't trust the optics.

Perhaps I should confess a sin: I was seriously considering to sell my m88 this summer. But then I took it to the range and changed my mind. There are few rifles, with which I am able to put five shots in 5" offhand @100 yds. As I am not a top rifleman, I decided to keep it: I need the help of a good gun to hit well.

Regards,

Old Sh.
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Picture?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Winnetou
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Winnetou »

Winnetou greets his friend and blood-brother, Old Shatterhand!

I have done the reverse—I mounted a splendid old Weaver G4 on a Winchester Deluxe Legacy 9422, one of the last guns made in the New Haven factory before it so regrettably closed in 2006. I don’t care for scopes other than the Malcolm style on lever action rifles, but thought that the G4, with its 3/4-inch tube, lack of ocular and objective bells, and low mounting, has a similar aesthetic.

But in both cases (your Winchester 88 and my 9422) the rifles and scopes are essentially “modern”, so I think there is plenty of leeway.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Thanks for the input guys...I'll bet that both rifles look sharp.. Hint...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY