OT: Blood Lights for tracking shot deer - TEST

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Blood Lights for tracking shot deer - TEST

Post by 86er »

The other night we followed a blood trail for around 200 yds and finally found the deer. At the time we used a regular white light flashlight and it was hands-and-knees searching for the blood. Last night I used deer blood to make an artificial blood trail. I created a few spots here and there and other areas of heavy saturation. In the pitch black I used the following light:

Primos Bloodhunter - Red-Orange and Green bulbs simultaneously $69

Maglite 3 cell - white bulb $39

Energizer LED - white bulb $24

No Brand Wal-Mart LED with Red, Blue and White LED's that function independently $14

Winchester Branded LED Deer Blood Tracker - Red and Blue LED simultaneously $15 (at Wal-Mart)

I was surprised to see that the least expensive lights did the best job on highlighting the blood.
For finding sporadic blood and "drops" the Winchester LED Deer Blood Tracker was the best by far! For a steady trail of blood that was at least a few drops in close proximity and a splatter here and there the same light and the Wal Mart LED were equally as good and better than the others. The Wal Mart LED on the BLUE setting was good at highlighting the decent sized splotches of blood but I found the blue light kind of annoying on my eyes after a while. The white light from the bulb Mag Lite didn't highlight the blood much at all. The Primos Bloodhunter light only picked up and highlighted the blood when you panned it back and forth and caught the blood right at the intersection of red and green light. I would rate it the worst of this bunch - save your money. I recommend a strong white LED light, or one with a BLUE LED setting and a WHITE LED setting for versatility. If you can locate the Winchester LED Deer Blood Tracker it is a bargain at $15 and makes a decent regular light for navigating the woods while also highlighting blood on the ground very well.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: Blood Lights for tracking shot deer - TEST

Post by cnjarvis »

Cool!

Thanks Joe!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Does UV light work?
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Thanks for the info and taking the time to do this. I have wondered about these lights since they came out but never knew anyone who owned one. The fact that the "Winchester" brand worked best was a big suprise to me. Most of the products that carry that name seem to be junk, especially the knives. I am referring to the stuff put out recently of course not the old stuff.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

GOOD TO KNOW....
HOPE TO USE THIS INFO TOMORROW
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

In response to Kirk D's question "How about a UV light"? I just did a quick experiment. I happen to have an Atsko UV Flashlight that I use for testing my hunting clothes to make sure there is no UV glow. I also have some diabetic testing supplies. I made a quick blood trail in the garage with human blood on artificial duck blind grass. The UV light shows the blood as a very dark spot, almost black. I pulled some grass from the lawn and sprinkled it over the matt grass to add colors. The Winchester light with the blue/red LED made the blood a bright red and shiny. The UV light still picked out the red but it made all reds look dark and the blood was a very dark red to black color. So, the UV light does not win.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I know there are all kinds of products available to hunters... I don't follow all the stuff that has come out..Some of it looks gimmicky.. But a product that picks up a blood trail is a really beautiful thing... Essential I'd say... Thanks for posting your results...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Thanks for that test, 86er. I figured it would either make the blood look black, since the red is at the opposite end of the spectrum as UV, or it would fluoresce, which is what I was hoping it would do. Very helpful info. Thanks again.

It makes sense that a light that emits in a narrow bandwith of the same frequency as color of blood, should really highlight blood. It should be a simple matter of taking a spectrum of blood, then matching it with the appropriate light frequency. I imagine the better blood light companies have done that.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

My old standby for this task was for years a propane-fueled Coleman lantern. Even during bright daylight hours, it will pick up blood specks and spots, even the tiniest. A couple of years ago, a dear friend gifted me with a Surefire E2D Defender flashlight. I've only gotten to use it twice since I got it, to find deer my neighbor ha shot, and it worked great. I also have a Rayovac LED light that I believe would do well. It's a bit less powerful than the Surefire, but still darned briight and considerably less expensive (like 1/10 the cost!).
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:o The TV show CSI lied to us???? :shock:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

As I discovered during the early youth deer season here, a cheap Energizer LED head lamp from Walmart works great for trailing blood using the white LEDs. I've completely changed over to LED flashlights with the exception of my spotlight I use for night time varmint hunting.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Have you tried a green light? A friend of mine swears by using a GI angle light with the green lens in it. Haven't tried it my self.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

Is there any light that high lights blood in the midddle of the day?? Just spent 3 hours trying to track a wounded deer in some nasty timber/brush with no luck
when your enemy is within range so are you