OT: Monopod Opinions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Monopod Opinions

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Anyone have any strong monopod recommendations? I was looking at the BogPod and also the Stoney Point versions. Then I noticed the Primos' Trigger Stick ... which seems interesting. I can't get the BogPod locally that I know of. The Stoney Point version I was looking at was the 3-section monopod that adjusts from 25" to 62" I believe. Gander Mountain also seems to have their own branded selection. It seems that Shooter's Choice is also in the game.

Are they all basically the same or is there some fundamental advantage that some have over others?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Monopod Opinions

Post by Rusty »

I read an article by Sam Fadala once where he used just a regular walking stick.

Boyd's has had some of the laminated walking sticks on sale here lately. Somehow I got on their mailing list that they seem to send out every week.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Not a monopod, but the slings with quick-deploy bungee-corded bipods look intriguing. I've 'almost bought' one several times.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I'm a cheap old fanny burp. I can't help it I'm of Scots descent.

I won't spend good money on a plastic, fiberglass or tubular metal shooting stick.

I have been known to cut a nice straight sapling about an inch and a half in diameter and cut it long enough that I can rest my hand on top and rest my rifle on my hand. It has the added benefit of making a dandy hiking staff, and a useful quarterstaff if anyone or anything needs a nice new set of lumps rather than a bullet.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The Trigger Stick is the most versatile since you can use it from a tree stand, sitting or standing. If you're not too fussy, go to the photo section at Wal-Mart. They sell a monopod that had a camera head and a "V" attachement for $14. It is aluminum and matte black and is very lightweight. It serves the purpose well. Adjustable from 15" to 55" or something like that.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I have the exact monopod you're looking at. I've abandoned mine. The two things I don't like are the rubber coating on the "V" top and the stability. The rubber coating sticks to the rifle. Under recoil, the rifle and thus the top of the monopod move rearward. This changes the elevation of the muzzle and shifts the POA/POI. This is particularly evident if you have to lean the monopod to adjust your aim. At least that's how it worked for me. The trigger stick Joe mentioned sounds interesting though
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I have a monopod that is remington branded (I dunno who makes em) with the flip lever segment latches like a camera tripod. The trigger stick is quicker to deploy, but the downside is it;s about twice as bulky. Weight isn't a factor as they are all light, but the trigger stick is a honking piece of gear. Once deployed it's no better, IMHO than the $18 pods. Either of em beats using a real stick (done that too).

Look for one with a detachable head and a 1/4-20 stud underneath for camera/spotting scope use. Then ya got somethin.
Certified gun nut
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

cnjarvis wrote:Under recoil, the rifle and thus the top of the monopod move rearward. This changes the elevation of the muzzle and shifts the POA/POI.
That's what it seems like bipods do, to me. Maybe less if their legs don't flex foreward/rearward much (like the Harris), but the ones with more leg mobility (so you can 'keep on target' better) seem to exhibit that same problem.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I have the Stoney Point you mentioned.
Pros: lightweight, sturdy, use like a hiking stick (about like a backcountry ski pole)
Cons: It's a bit long for my day pack, sticking out the top and snagging on overhead branches; I have to prop it against a tree to really steady it - it does not work as a stand-alone rest.

I found it most useful for shooting my heavier caliber revolvers in the sitting position.

Both my father and my hunting partner have been using the collapsable bipods (like tent poles) that come with a belt pouch, and break down to about 16" long. I will be using one of those next year.

Something like this: http://www.grouseriver.com/Remington_Bi ... 000889.htm
or this: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true
Chad
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Well speak of the Devil and he shows up. I got up this morning to go to work and here was another notice.

Thanksgiving Holiday SALE!

www.boydsgunstocks.com

Evolution 10/22 Finished (reg. $99) SALE $89

FINISHED VARMINT THUMBHOLES (reg. $199) SALE $99

WALKING STICKS (reg. $39.99) SALE $22.50

FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS $200 OR MORE!

(Use coupon code “FRSHP” at checkout!)

And Additional Holiday Priced Items!!!!

5 pm (cst) Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 8 am (cst) Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Visit us on Facebook and YouTube by clicking the links on our HOME PAGE for Informational Videos on Boyds’ Products by Randy Boyd!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Not a monopod, but here's what I was trying to describe...

http://quakeinc.com/slingstix.html

Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

Might not be what you are looking for but Leverguns member Wind makes some very nice shooting sticks. They pack easily and are highly adjustable, works like a portable shooting bench.

I've been testing the set I bought for a few weeks now and I'm very impressed. I have a BSA Superstar (pellet rifle) that is VERY hold sensitive. I could not get it to group using traditional rests. Tried it with Wind's sticks and it worked great. They seem to let the rifle recoil naturally so the shot isn't thrown before it leaves the barrel. When shooting my 45-70 off the sticks my follow through is much improved and that is reflected in the groups down range. The recoil rolls straight back rather than jumping off the rest and the front bead just hangs there on the bullseye. the craftsmanship is amazing. The pivot nut is machined from a 45-70 case (very cool) the leather work is exquisite.
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I'm going to try the Primos item that 86'er mentioned. If the Trigger Stick annoys me, I'll switch over to the Stoney Point version. I like Doc's idea but I find now that I'm older I have less time and more money versus being young with all the time and no money. Thus, I'm too lazy to go find a sapling ... nature's solution.

I also got a brochure from Wind though and I may order a set of those for another purpose. Those are just too nice to pass up.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there Whit and Rimfire - Thanks for the kind words. Wind
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Wind wrote:Hey there Whit and Rimfire - Thanks for the kind words. Wind
Don't keep us in suspense. Tell us more. Show us pictures. Tell us how to order. :!:
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson