OT- It's raining 1903s!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

OT- It's raining 1903s!

Post by awp101 »

Well, after getting that single shot 1903 at the show a couple of weekends ago I decided I should look for another reasonably priced sporter for a different project (.257 Roberts) and/or something close to original. Found this one locally and picked it up tonight. The pics are from the seller since I just got it home:

1919 production RIA 1903. Receiver should be nickel steel with the correct heat treat, non d&t, looks like it just needs a new stock and bands.

Can anyone ID this marking/carving? I know it was done by a previous owner but that's all.

Thanks to Malamute for the 1903 pointers that helped me decide this one could be saved! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Hobie

Re: OT- It's raining 1903s!

Post by Hobie »

Good on you!

I got it in my head that I "needed" an 03A3 but only after I turned down a $500 deal on a mint rifle with Elmer Keith's cartouche! Thought I didn't have the money. :roll: You were smart to get that.

The symbol looks like a brand.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there awp101 - I prolly have everything in front of the trigger guard you will need. Shoot me a PM and we can sort out how to get it to you. Best regards. Wind
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

According the Brands Act of 1915 of the Australian Queensland Government, that ear mark would symbolize an "S" (the tuning fork looking thing) and a "DV" (the broken S looking thing). :D

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I noticed you mentioned that you're going to build the gun in .257 Roberts. Excellent cartridge. Look at the .257 Ackley Improved before you decide. I had a Robert punched out to it and was amazed at the improved velocities.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Hobie wrote:I got it in my head that I "needed" an 03A3 but only after I turned down a $500 deal on a mint rifle with Elmer Keith's cartouche! Thought I didn't have the money. :roll:
OUCH! :shock:
Hobie wrote:The symbol looks like a brand.
Are spurs symbolized in brands? Maybe Spur S?
firefuzz wrote:I noticed you mentioned that you're going to build the gun in .257 Roberts. Excellent cartridge. Look at the .257 Ackley Improved before you decide. I had a Robert punched out to it and was amazed at the improved velocities.

Rob
Unless this one absolutely will not shoot for poop, it's going to be "restored". I use the quotation marks because I'm not going to build it as a correct 1903. It will have more of the feel of a 1903 that went through a rebuild and got some 03A3 bits or at least an 03A3 stock. I THINK this one has the milled floorplate. Does anyone have a pic handy of either version so I can see what I have?

I also just noticed it's not d&t for a receiver sight, I thought they all were?

I fully intend to have a sporter .257 either on a Mauser or 1903 receiver but it will probably be a straight Bob. I already have a Kar88 .257 and I don't want to alter it for the AI or keep two sets of brass. Dunno for sure though as that will be a ways down the road and I'll change my mind 14 times between now and next month. :lol: Then again, if that altered 1903 I bought a couple of weekends ago doesn't shoot, IT may be the Bob build. :lol:

Wind, let me see exactly what I might need and I'll drop you a line.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

This thing may still have the original barrel. Stamped "RIA 9-18" and the "0113" about halfway between the receiver and front sight turns out to be a "C113" with my glasses on... :lol:

Rifling is thin from the muzzle to about an inch or so back but the rest looks like nothing a good scrubbing can't solve.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at