Well....The fat lady hasn't sung but I pulled the trigger..

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bronx
Levergunner

Well....The fat lady hasn't sung but I pulled the trigger..

Post by Bronx »

on this years Winchester SHOT Show Model 1892 in .357. I went to a good store barely upstate and they had Marlin's, Mossberg, and a few others I can't recall. They also had the '92 in 44. Rem Mag, but same size in all other respects to the .357. It happened to be the gun that I felt I was pointing and handling best. Very petite and cozy little thing. Very smooth action. Fit and finish are superb. Anyhow I located a wholesaler who had a few left and ordered one in .357. I can't wait, went out for delivery today from Tejas to New Yawk! :twisted:
I will post pictures. Woohoo!

:mrgreen:

Martin
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Re: Well....The fat lady hasn't sung but I pulled the trigger..

Post by firefuzz »

If it's anywhere near as nice as my B92, that was made by the same people, you'll never be sorry.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

CONGRATS BRONX !!! YOU ARE NOW PROPERLY HOOKED. MIGHT AS WELL TELL THE WIFE RIGHT NOW THE NEXT IS HERS TO BUY, AND GET IT OVER WITH.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You DO know about this forum's requirements regarding pics, don't you :?: :mrgreen:

Bronx
Levergunner

Post by Bronx »

Pics will follow. I need to get all my draconian NYC paper work in order............Gun is in the mail!
Bronx
Levergunner

Post by Bronx »

Terry Murbach wrote:CONGRATS BRONX !!! YOU ARE NOW PROPERLY HOOKED. MIGHT AS WELL TELL THE WIFE RIGHT NOW THE NEXT IS HERS TO BUY, AND GET IT OVER WITH.
The wife formerly owned a rather nice SIG 220. So she understands! :D
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Good for you and pics would be appreciated when available. Not many women shoot a 45 ACP, you're a lucky man.
Old Law Dawg
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I thought you city slickers in NYC were not allowed to have any guns.....
or is that just handguns?

You will love that 92....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

Thought the supreme court slapped them and told them to stop being unconstitutional?

Anywho, wiki says their pistol laws are a major pain and its not safe to travel anywhere in that state with a pistol... but no mention of rifles.

Sucks that states are allowed to act so unconstitutionally. I know I refuse to move to NJ or NY under any circumstances.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

RIHMFIRE wrote:I thought you city slickers in NYC were not allowed to have any guns.....
You can have one as long as it's a dedicated defense weapon against those ferocious pigeon-eating hawks that nest on the skyscrapers.

Good call on the .357, Bronx. The .44 is a great rig, too. But, that rifle in .38/.357 will be a dream to shoot all day long.

Scott
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

Trapper length carbines in pistol cartridges are what New York City dwellers overwelmingly own if what I was told is correct. They are a burglar's nightmare as they are the shortest most compact legal weapon in NYC. If I lived there I would have a 16" 92 in 45 Colt loaded with commercial ammo containing bullets designed for the 45 ACP and worked over by NKJ. I don't want a bullet that will penetrate 3 apartment walls after hitting a bad guy. As a matter of fact a laser mounted on the mag tube would make it the perfect NYC Urban Assault Weapon.
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I want one bad too, but the price kind of makes my eyes water! I want one in 24" short rifle, octogon barrel and case hardend. (Also would like about a extra 1" pull on mine!) Maybe some wheel at winchester might be reading this, take pity on me and send me one for christmass? If ya are, would you make it without the tang safety too?

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product ... _id=111896
Bronx
Levergunner

Post by Bronx »

RIHMFIRE wrote:I thought you city slickers in NYC were not allowed to have any guns.....
or is that just handguns?

You will love that 92....

When their is a will their is a way. I plan on getting a wheel gun in .357 next. The 92 is going to be fun! :D
Bronx
Levergunner

Post by Bronx »

RSY wrote: You can have one as long as it's a dedicated defense weapon against those ferocious pigeon-eating hawks that nest on the skyscrapers.

Good call on the .357, Bronx. The .44 is a great rig, too. But, that rifle in .38/.357 will be a dream to shoot all day long.

Scott

Those hawks are gorgeous animals. Peregrine falcons I think. the sad fact is that a few have been killed because they ate a pidgeon that had swallowed rat poison!
Last edited by Bronx on Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bronx
Levergunner

Post by Bronx »

oic0 wrote:
Sucks that states are allowed to act so unconstitutionally. I know I refuse to move to NJ or NY under any circumstances.
We're going to move when the little one goes off to college. I can't wait. NYC is a nice town, it does have it's virtues but I'm tired of city life. With the economy in the toilet and prices as high as they are their is no point to being here.
Bronx
Levergunner

Post by Bronx »

NonPCnraRN wrote:Trapper length carbines in pistol cartridges are what New York City dwellers overwelmingly own if what I was told is correct. They are a burglar's nightmare as they are the shortest most compact legal weapon in NYC. If I lived there I would have a 16" 92 in 45 Colt loaded with commercial ammo containing bullets designed for the 45 ACP and worked over by NKJ. I don't want a bullet that will penetrate 3 apartment walls after hitting a bad guy. As a matter of fact a laser mounted on the mag tube would make it the perfect NYC Urban Assault Weapon.

The walls of my house are brick..... :). I honestly don't know if lever guns are the choice du jour for HD here in NYC. I haven't been shooting since 1996 and am just getting back into it. My choice is based on a few criteria:

#1 Something I can practice with and get my marskmanship back into shape...that is relatively inexpensive, .38
#2 Fun to shoot. 10 in the tube is nice.
#3 Can use for HD if necessary, short and fast pointing, .357.
#3.5 I plan on getting a wheel gun in .357. One of them 8 round S&W revolvers.
#4 Aesthetically pleasing. I like nice wood & metal, I have beautiful guitars, rifles have the same kind of allure for me.
#5 Something I can use for hunting with my uncle whose been a shooter for 50 years. 45 as a police sergeant cop, EMS, Narcotics, etc..He's been to Africa for large game, Alaska...Uncle Bruce knows his field craft!

I will get a shotgun as well again for dedicated HD. Right now though I need something to get shooting on again that will serve a great many purposes. The classic lever gun strikes me as one of the most utilitarian, useful and ingenious firearms ever devised. Plus they are just darned cool!

Previously I've owned a full fledged Russian AK, with multiple 30 round mags and 3 75 round drums. My brother has that. I have a Remington BDL 700 in .308. Pricey to shoot and it's limited in uses. I also had a Ruger Mini-14, I sold that to an old Vietnam era Force Recon friend of mine, Ian is a hoot!

Anyhow, I am stoked! :D
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Bronx wrote:I like nice wood & metal, I have beautiful guitars, rifles have the same kind of allure for me.
Ooooh, do tell. It appears we are cut from the same cloth. Since young children have entered the house, I've largely put them away, but I still have a small herd of 6-strings and a lone 4-string I maintain.

On a side note, have you ever been to the Holland & Holland gunroom on E. 40th St.???

Scott
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Bronx wrote:I have a Remington BDL 700 in .308. Pricey to shoot and it's limited in uses.
Oh, and you'll have to clarify that one for me...that's one of the most solid all-around North American rigs I can think of. .308 ammo can usually be had on the cheap, too.

Scott
gglass
Levergunner

Post by gglass »

Your choice was such a good one that I'll have to forgive your mixed metaphor subject heading. :roll:
"The heart Ramon. Aim for the heart or you'll never stop me."
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Go Pard Go!!! You're choices show real wisdom. Welcome to the board Pard!

LB
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

gglass wrote:Your choice was such a good one that I'll have to forgive your mixed metaphor subject heading. :roll:
Yeah. I thought he had shot a fat woman! :D

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
JohnC
Levergunner

Post by JohnC »

Can anyone help. I have been looking all over and calling numerous dealers trying to find a Winchester 1892 short as produced by Winchester this year as the SHOT show special, in .357 magnum caliber. Does anyone know of any dealer that has one in stock or can get one?
I really want one of those and any help will be greatly appreciated.
John
Bronx
Levergunner

Post by Bronx »

JohnC wrote:Can anyone help. I have been looking all over and calling numerous dealers trying to find a Winchester 1892 short as produced by Winchester this year as the SHOT show special, in .357 magnum caliber. Does anyone know of any dealer that has one in stock or can get one?
I really want one of those and any help will be greatly appreciated.
John
Call CDNN at 800-588-9500, nice Texan fellows.
Bronx
Levergunner

Post by Bronx »

bogus bill wrote:I want one bad too, but the price kind of makes my eyes water! I want one in 24" short rifle, octogon barrel and case hardend. (Also would like about a extra 1" pull on mine!) Maybe some wheel at winchester might be reading this, take pity on me and send me one for christmass? If ya are, would you make it without the tang safety too?

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product ... _id=111896

I got mine for $817.19 including shipping from CDNN. I called Winchester and they gave me a list of wholesalers to call to see if any had inventory left.
Bronx
Levergunner

Post by Bronx »

RSY wrote:
Bronx wrote:I like nice wood & metal, I have beautiful guitars, rifles have the same kind of allure for me.
Ooooh, do tell. It appears we are cut from the same cloth. Since young children have entered the house, I've largely put them away, but I still have a small herd of 6-strings and a lone 4-string I maintain.

On a side note, have you ever been to the Holland & Holland gunroom on E. 40th St.???

Scott
Hey Scott..........Let's see.....

I have a Taylor 814 CE acoustic
A Gibson 1958 Historic Reissue Les Paul
A Tyler Custom SEHD, Superstrat
A GMP Custom with a 'bucker in the bridge and two minibuckers in the middle and rhythm
A Frankenstein Telecaster I put together from parts.

I've never been to the H&H gunroom....Never heard of it!

Martin
Bronx
Levergunner

Post by Bronx »

Bogie35 wrote:
gglass wrote:Your choice was such a good one that I'll have to forgive your mixed metaphor subject heading. :roll:
Yeah. I thought he had shot a fat woman! :D

bogie
If we can hit that bullseye then the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards... Checkmate!

:mrgreen:
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Bronx wrote:Hey Scott..........Let's see.....

I have a Taylor 814 CE acoustic
A Gibson 1958 Historic Reissue Les Paul
A Tyler Custom SEHD, Superstrat
A GMP Custom with a 'bucker in the bridge and two minibuckers in the middle and rhythm
A Frankenstein Telecaster I put together from parts.

I've never been to the H&H gunroom....Never heard of it!

Martin
Nice set of guitars you have there. My modest collection consists of:

Martin DM acoustic (1997) - "cheap," but sounds great
Music Man StingRay bass (1977)
Rickenbacker 330 (1983)
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster (1992)
Gibson ES-125TDC (1966)

Fender Super Reverb Amp
Fender Bassman 50 amp head on a 2x15" Fender cabinet

Lately, I've really been jonesin' for a Telecaster, though. :?
Bronx
Levergunner

Post by Bronx »

Nice stuff.....I used to play professionally not any more. Gotten tired of it. Musicians are a testy bunch! :)