For the Winchester experts....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ole pizen slinger
Levergunner 2.0

For the Winchester experts....

Post by ole pizen slinger »

I own an original 1873 Winchester. This particular rifle is one which was fitted with the "set trigger" option. The rifle has no half-cock safety. I am wondering if this is because the set trigger is incompatible with the half-cock safety (i.e., the rifle has a "fly" in the action mechanism in order to make the set trigger work--like on the locks on muzzleloaders)? Or, has the half-cock safety been somehow removed? I would be interested in knowing if anyone else owns a '73 Winchester that has the set trigger option--does your rifle have the half-cock safety?
OPS
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Re: For the Winchester experts....

Post by Kansas Ed »

My rifle has the SST option, don't know if yours is DST or SST. But my rifle does have the half cock. FYI, the set trigger mechanism on the SST is very delicate, and is designed to where it may break. Use it sparingly...voice of experience here..

Ed
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

If it has a fly, the half cock should still function, you would just have to lower the hammer past the fly, simply put, all the way down, then carefully raise it to half cock but not over the fly, so it will rest in the half cock notch.

The half cock notch may be broken.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What Malamute said +1 . The fly is part of the hammer and prevents the sear from dropping into the half cock notch when the rifle is fired. :D
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

The half cock hammer notch does work with the single or double set trigger. A broken half cock notch may be your problem.
ole pizen slinger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ole pizen slinger »

Thanks for the help, guys. I guess I'll have to take the action apart and see if the hammer has a small part broken off. At least I now know how it's supposed to work. Thanks again for the helpl.
OPS
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.