shot with a 45-70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

shot with a 45-70

Post by papabear »

This guy and a buddy were sighting their rifles in. One of the guns was leaned up against the 4 wheeler he was standing on. The gun started to fall and I'm not sure if his buddy grabbed it, or something on the bike caught the trigger. Either way, he caught a 325 grain .45-70 round right under the collar bone. I think it goes with out being said, how lucky he is to still be here.

The big hole around his shoulder blade is where the bullet entered and it traveled under his skin and exited right there on his neck, above his spinal cord! Just goes to show that he truly is LUCKY! The ballistic tip mainly just burned the edges of the skin of the wound that you see in the picture. He's getting better & better every day, last night he was even doing push ups!! He's finally able to use his arm again! Somehow it didn't hit anything major and basically ended up being a really bad flesh wound! It is truly a miracle that he is alive and not paralyzed!

PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
====================================================================
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: shot with a 45-70

Post by fordwannabe »

I don't mean to be a Jerk and I am sorry for his injury. But what in the world was he doing leaning a rifle against something with a round in the chamber much less the hammer back??? Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Holy stuff :o
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Papabear,
Just wondering if yo happened to know the parties involved?

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

So much for the "One Shot - One Kill" legend of the .45-70
ED
Yer never too old
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Yeeeooowwww! That's gonna leave a mark!

It really looks to me like the entry was at the base of the neck though.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I can feel bad for the fellow, but it all boils down to simple carelessness. Glad no one died.
NRA Life Member
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

TedH wrote:I can feel bad for the fellow, but it all boils down to simple carelessness. Glad no one died.
+1
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I was thinking the entry wound was at the neck and out at the shoulder too. Glad he survived. Time to get a new friend. Geez. God's Grace surely was bestowed on him in abundance. Wonder what God has in store for that young man???
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

RustyJr wrote:Papabear,
Just wondering if yo happened to know the parties involved?

RustyJr
No i don't it was e-mail to me from a friend I tell every one who Hunt's with me not to lean there guns against any thing
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

That guy should go out and buy a lottery ticket :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

Holy....... :shock:
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I saw that pic somewhere else and it really doesn't look like a gunshot wound. It looks more like an electrical injury.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Muppets!
Just goes to show how resourcfull idiots can get, fix that one lawers :roll:

Glad he is ok

Oh and yes +2 on the electrical wound! I would of thought far more bruising would be showing!!!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Hmmm,.. it has been so many decades since I first started hunting alone, in areas I know, no one else is hunting,... and, ONLY alone,... that I forgot why.

This reminds of one of the reasons why I do!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Modoc ED wrote:So much for the "One Shot - One Kill" legend of the .45-70
Placement is everything. :wink:

As to whether or not this is a hoax, in that it may not be a gun shot wound but an electrical wound... How in the heck does a "ballistic tip" "burn" the edge of the wound? The photo is near to horrific but something isn't right.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I am wondering if there is any way to confirm that what we are seeing is actually a gunshot wound. If the bullet entered one hole and existed the other, travelling along in the skin and muscle between the two holes in the fat and muscle just beneath the skin, everything between the two holes should be a puréed, pulverized mess. From the exterior, I would expect there to be horrendous bruising between the two holes due to the bleeding mess under the skin. I can't imagine a .458 caliber bullet travelling at least 1,500 fps not leaving any external trace of its path if it was plowing along at supersonic speeds between the two holes. Just feeling the back of my neck and the area between where those two holes would be, there is barely any room between the bones and the exterior of my skin for a .458 diameter bullet to pass without exploding a lot of bone, including my spine. Right where that neck wound is, my spine feels like it is only about a half inch under the skin. All this to say that if that fellow doesn't have a lot of bone shrapnel, which he doesn't, that bullet would practically have to be breaking the surface all the way from one hole to the other. I just can't see how it could do that without 'connecting the dots' in a major way.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

My money is on a HV Electrical Shock?????????????
Otherwise that sholder blade would have sent mini pieces all over everywhere.(would have killed him)??
Again,just my guess though. Whatever God's Grace he is living.

Not even brusing along bullet path on skin????(Na)
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

madman4570 wrote:My money is on a HV Electrical Shock?????????????
????(Na)
That's my bet. I've seen a few HV electrocutions and that certainly looks like one.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

firefuzz wrote:
madman4570 wrote:My money is on a HV Electrical Shock?????????????
????(Na)
That's my bet. I've seen a few HV electrocutions and that certainly looks like one.

Rob
Ditto...I doubt that's a gunshot wound.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

[...in-sensitivity alert 'ON' :shock: :o :? :wink: :lol: ]

Sometimes it's frightening to think how lethal hunting firearms are; of course we want them to be, but that's all the more reason to be VERY careful. That guy could have literally had his head blown off and into pieces.

Someone did something very stupid and careless, though.

I can't say I've never done stupid and careless, but God's been backing me up so far despite my stupidity. Also, sticking to careful habits and routine safety helps assure that if you do ONE stupid thing (leaning the gun against the tree while chambered), you won't have done the other ones (hammer back, safety off).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Shock or shot, if chicks dig scar's this guy has got it made.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

AJMD429 wrote:
[...in-sensitivity alert 'ON' :shock: :o :? :wink: :lol: ]

Sometimes it's frightening to think how lethal hunting firearms are; of course we want them to be, but that's all the more reason to be VERY careful. That guy could have literally had his head blown off and into pieces.

Someone did something very stupid and careless, though.

I can't say I've never done stupid and careless, but God's been backing me up so far despite my stupidity. Also, sticking to careful habits and routine safety helps assure that if you do ONE stupid thing (leaning the gun against the tree while chambered), you won't have done the other ones (hammer back, safety off).
Doc I've been waiting for you to weigh on on this one. I'm also having doubts that is a gunshot wound. I agree with the others that you would think with such a shallow wound there would be some visual trail of the bullet between the holes. Wondering about your opinion as to what may have caused such damage?
NRA Life Member
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

Shoot him again and see if it looks the same....being sarcastic. If it is a hoax what is the purpose of blaming it on a gun accident? An antigun agenda perhaps?
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Nasty! :o
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I worked for San Diego Gas and Electric Company in San Diego, CA and unfortunately saw a couple of High Voltage victims. Those individuals had 2nd and 3rd degree burns and I don't see evidence of those type of burns on the guy in the picture. Also, along the path of in and out voltage wounds there was a dark (burned black) streak between the innies and the outies. I don't see that either.

Anyway, shot or shock it does give one pause.
ED
Yer never too old
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Looks to me like a low intensity (as in Type 1) phaser wound.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

gimdandy wrote:
TedH wrote:I can feel bad for the fellow, but it all boils down to simple carelessness. Glad no one died.
+1
and two.

matters not the cause, looks lucky to be walking around to me.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Otto wrote:Looks to me like a low intensity (as in Type 1) phaser wound.
:lol: :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson