Take a look at this old character

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Take a look at this old character

Post by 20cows »

I bet he he could tell a tale or two.

Check out the ramrod!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Take a look at this old character

Post by gamekeeper »

Great old photo, :D puts me in mind of an "Alternative Santa Claus" :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Last edited by 76/444 on Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

There is a story and a half behind that, sadly we'll never know who he was. And that's sorta-kinda-nearby-'roundabouts where I was born and raised in KY.

I'm betting money that's a hogshead barrel of tobacco. But I don't understand why you may need someone riding shotgun for it - full they were very heavy. If you look at the tracks in the road, this wasn't this guy's first trip by the photographer. Maybe taking it to market, the tobacco warehouse in town, Harrodsburg?

And that pole arm - muzzle loader with the loading rod sticking out?

But you can tell, he's the real deal. Clothes and the way he carries himself, there's no doubt.

Thanks for the photo and a chance to speculate.
2row
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 2row »

Hi guys that is not a mule it's Donkey an I was hoping that was a Barrell of whiskey (love thies old photes)
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

That old "Genamin" has a sure nuff cap lock rifle and is riding a sure nuff ladies side saddle.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Or it could be a shot gun. This time I am voting mule on the critter.
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

Thats a jenny . Look at the top of the tail and the tip of the nose . And you can sure enough see both skids
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Neat photo, but don't have a clue to what he is pulling.
"That'll Be The Day"
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

don't have a clue to what he is pulling

tobacco hogshead barrel. more info, here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogshead

and hey - it's "shore 'nuff." or "show 'nuff."

and shape/size of barrel says it's not spirits. anyway, by looking at the guy I don't think you could feed him a story that you want to take "the angel's share" early and deliver it personally......
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

"show nuff" more commonly "sho' nuff" mongst folk
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I want to believe he's also got a couple of jugs of "shine" hidden in the tobacco too.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That ramrod almost could be used as a bayonet! :lol:
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Last edited by 76/444 on Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I'm not going to comment on the barrel or the mule, but I will comment on the rifle.

Lots of the late Southern Mountain Rifles were equipped with a "wiping stick" that was one or two palm widths longer than the barrel.

i do not know the reason why this was a common practice but I've seen a number of Southern Mountain Rifles built between 1840 and 1940 with such over-length ramrods.

Another characteristic of the Southern Mountain Rifle was the lack of a patch box. However, many had a small hole in the stock to hold a small supply of tallow or lard with which the rifleman would lubricate his patches. If you enlarge the photo, I believe such a grease hole is visible just under the fingers of the rider's rignt hand.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Here's some larger views of the subjects most folks have been commenting on. :) Just click on the image to see it in a larger format. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Hmmmm,..... enlarging that pic changed my mind. The fella doesn't seem so big and it definitely looks like a donkey in a bigger pic. May be a mammoth, but, I concede , looks like a donkey now.
Last edited by 76/444 on Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I just happen to have a copy of the book by John Rice Irwin "Guns and Gunmaking tools of Southern Appalachia" sitting on my desk. The first three rifles he shows in the book all have "ramrods" that are 6-8" longer than the end of the barrel. One has a grease hole, one has a patch box and one has nothing at all on the cheek of the stock. From my experience I'd say that the reason for the extra length is that unlike today's ramrods where we generally screw cleaning jags and such onto the end of the ramrod most times early ramrods had the jag carved right into the end of the ramrod so there was no chance for any extra length to be added while cleaning. Ya gotta have enough to hold on to.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Looks to me like the mule would hit her legs on the cross bar pulling that sled. And, the sled would be a real pain in the behind to pull around during dry weather. He looks real comfortable sitting up there.

In my humble opinion, that's a mule.
Old Law Dawg
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I would not be surprised if the gentleman is a former slave.
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Kentucky was a wild and violent place after the Civi War. This lasted well into the 1900's.

seeing that old picture sort of took me home.

Kentucky was where I was born.
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

I am sure it is a mule. My friend had two red mules about that size. Them mules would walk for hours without stopping for a breather like a horse. The "cross piece" is a single tree, and when the mule is pulling the trace chains will straighten out and leave more room. Enlargeing the picture shows no side-saddle, just looks like a pad, maybe a rolled up sack, and that is a flask hanging between his legs. I have no idea what the stirrup is attached to, but wow, how long it is if he were seated normal. I would almost bet it is a strap attached to the backstrap or opposite trace chain and just used for balance. A sled probably pulls easier than it appears they would. We used sleds year round on the farm, hauling everything from crops to rocks and firewood. It's true they pull a little easier if the ground is damp. Sleds were used a lot in the eastern mountain regions, as they could be run on much narrower paths than a wagon and could be made from material growing in the woodlot. I have seen sleds when I was a kid that didn't have a single piece of iron. Every piece mortised and pinned. My Dad always sat a work horse sideways, like it was beneath his dignity to straddle an old work horse. Love the old pics, keep em coming!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

yup, a jenny mule.

yup, normal long wipin' stick.

now what's in the barrel? i'll leave that to them that knows better.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

That is a donkey the short hair for the first foot or so on the tail whereas a mule has long hair top to bottom. danny
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

If that's a donkey it sure looks like a big one! And a jenny is a female donkey. A hinny is a cross between a stallion and a jenny. A mule is a cross between a jack and a mare.

At any rate, the tail and apparently missing forelock seem to point to donkey but it just looks too darn tall! Maybe that old timer was only 4 foot 8. :?:

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Could it be that it's a cross between a mule and a donkey? Is that biologically possible? Because that's the muliest looking donkey I've ever seen. :D

I bet the old gentleman was tough as a rope. And I would imagine that, at that time soon after slavery, tobacco was probably getting more expensive or scarce. Thus, the gun.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

BigSky56 wrote:That is a donkey the short hair for the first foot or so on the tail whereas a mule has long hair top to bottom. danny

Agreed,.... didn't notice it until the ability to enlarge pic. This gentleman is NOT as big as I originally thought either. And she probably is a very large standard or mammoth donkey as well.
Last edited by 76/444 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Bogie35 wrote:Could it be that it's a cross between a mule and a donkey? Is that biologically possible? Because that's the muliest looking donkey I've ever seen. :D

bogie

No,.... not possible. Mules are sterile from birth, although there have been what are called "Blue Moon Molly's",... that can reproduce. But, as the name implies, they are VERY RARE. I have only heard of two in 50 years.

This pic sure fooled me at the start! :D
Last edited by 76/444 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

olyinaz wrote:IAt any rate, the tail and apparently missing forelock seem to point to donkey but it just looks too darn tall!
The forelock is typically cropped on mules and, in this case, DONKEYS!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Bogie35 wrote:Could it be that it's a cross between a mule and a donkey? Is that biologically possible? Because that's the muliest looking donkey I've ever seen. :D
Mules, being hybrids (of a horse and donkey) are STERILE. Therefore, you can't (except for very rare exceptions) breed a mule to anything.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Tumbleweeds II
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tumbleweeds II »

It's just possible that the barrel is his "camper" and holds everything he owns. He isn't hunting or delivering anything, he's MOVING. :mrgreen:
Formerly known as "Tumbleweeds"